State-owned Bank of Maharashtra (BoM) on Friday reported a 19 per cent growth in credit to Rs 2.09 lakh crore for the April-June quarter. The outstanding credit was Rs 1.75 lakh crore at the end of June 30, 2023, BoM said in a regulatory filing. The Pune-headquartered lender reported a 9.44 per cent increase in total deposits to Rs 2.67 lakh crore as against Rs 2.44 lakh crore at the end of the first quarter of the previous financial year. During the quarter, it said, Current Accounts and Savings Accounts declined to 49.86 per cent of the total deposits as against 50.97 per cent. The Credit Deposit ratio increased to 78.18 per cent at the end of June 30, 2024, as against 71.89 per cent in the year-ago period.
The Maharashtra government's Ladki Bahin' scheme for women is good but its announcement and implementation just months ahead of the assembly elections is nothing but a jumla (gimmick), said NCP (SP) Lok Sabha member Supriya Sule on Thursday. Under the state government's Mukhyamantri Majhi Ladki Bahin Yojana' announced last week in the budget, eligible women will be given Rs 1,500 per month. As the Maharashtra elections are hardly 2 to 3 months away, a shower of jumlas' was expected from the state government, the Baramati MP told reporters here. Maharashtra assembly polls are due in October. The scheme is good in the wake of growing unemployment and inflation. The state government tried to give support to women but the scheme has many conditions and riders, said Sule when asked about the scheme's implementation. She said though she welcomes the programme, its introduction before the state polls is nothing but an election jumla'. The senior NCP (SP) leader said elections are being
Gangster Abu Salem, who has been serving life sentence in the 1993 serial blasts case, was moved out of the Taloja prison in Navi Mumbai on Thursday and is being transferred to the central jail in Nashik amid tight police security, an official said. Salem was taken out of the Taloja jail in a vehicle at 11.30 am, he said. Extradited from Portugal in 2005, Salem was convicted and awarded life sentence in 2017 for his role in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case. He was lodged in the Taloja prison, but the jail authorities had submitted to the special court that he needs to be shifted to the Nashik Central Prison given that the high-security cell inside the Taloja prison was in shambles and needs urgent repair. Salem had moved the Bombay High Court challenging a special court's order, which last month rejected his application against his planned transfer from Taloja prison to Nashik Central Prison, claiming a threat to his life. Salem claimed the decision to shift him out of the Taloj
Prohibitory orders have been imposed at other popular tourist spots in Pune as well to enhance safety during the monsoon season.
In view of some cases of Zika virus reported from parts of Maharashtra, the Union Health Ministry on Wednesday issued an advisory to all states highlighting the need for maintaining a constant vigil over the situation in the country. States have been urged to focus on screening pregnant women for Zika virus and monitor the growth of foetus of expecting mothers who tested positive for the infection. Besides the advisory by Director General of Health Services Dr Atul Goel, the ministry also asked health facilities to identify a nodal officer to monitor and act to keep the premises free of Aedes mosquito infestation. Zika is an Aedes mosquito-borne viral disease like dengue and chikungunya. Though non-fatal, Zika is associated with microcephaly (a condition where the head is much smaller than expected) in babies born to affected pregnant women which makes it a cause of major concern. In 2024, till July 2, Pune has recorded six cases in Pune and one each in Kolhapur and Sangamner.
The nomination papers of two independent candidates for the July 12 biennial elections to the Maharashtra legislative council were rejected on Wednesday during the scrutiny, which left 12 candidates in the fray for the 11 seats of the Upper House of the state legislature. The two independent candidates whose nomination papers were rejected are Ajaysinh Motisinh Sengar and Arun Rohidas Jagtap. With this, there are now 12 candidates in the fray. If one of them does not withdraw nomination by July 5, the last date for doing so, elections to the legislative council from the MLA quota will take place on July 12. All candidates - nine of the ruling alliance Mahayuti and three of the opposition Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) - filed their nomination papers on Tuesday. The Shiv Sena (UBT) has fielded Milind Narvekar, a close aide of party chief Uddhav Thackeray. The Congress has renominated sitting legislator Pradyna Satav, while the NCP (SP) is supporting sitting MLC and Peasants and Workers' .
Recent stampedes in India have occurred due to a combination of factors, like high turnout at religious, or other social events, poor crowd management and poorly managed venues and infrastructure
Unauthorised hawkers have virtually taken over every street in the city leaving no place for pedestrians, the Bombay High Court has observed, asking why ordinary citizens should not get the treatment that only "VVIPs" seem to get. A division bench of Justices M S Sonak and Kamal Khata, in an order on June 25, said the problem has reached "alarming proportions", and the government and civic body cannot take their own "sweet time" to deal with it. A copy of the order became available on Tuesday. The high court last year took suo motu (on its own) note of the issue of illegal and unauthorised hawkers and vendors in Mumbai and initiated this petition. The court has issued several directions to the Maharashtra government and the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation but their implementation continues to be a casualty, the judges said. "The hawkers and street vendors have virtually taken over the street lanes and bylanes. There is no place for people to walk on the footpaths," the HC ...
The Pune district administration has imposed prohibitory orders at several popular picnic spots, including Bhushi Dam and the Pavana Dam region, to ensure the safety of tourists during the monsoon season. The order, effective from July 2 to 31, prohibits gatherings of five or more persons, restricts individuals from entering deep water bodies, and bans taking selfies and creating reels at these sites. The administration has already outlined a series of safety measures for hazardous tourist locations, which includes identification and demarcation of dangerous areas, the presence of lifeguards and rescue teams, and the installation of warning boards. The move comes after anincident on Sunday when a woman and four children were swept away at a waterfall near the Bhushi Dam, a well-known picnic spot in the picturesque Lonavala hill station of Maharashtra's Pune district. According to a notification issued by Pune Collector Suhas Divase on Tuesday, section 163 of the newly implemented .
The Pune administration has outlined a series of safety measures for hazardous tourist locations in the district which includes identification and demarcation of dangerous areas, the presence of lifeguards and rescue teams, and the installation of warning boards. The move comes after the incident on Sunday when a woman and four children were swept away at a waterfall near the Bhushi Dam, a well-known picnic spot in the picturesque Lonavala hill station of Maharashtra's Pune district. The incident has sent shockwaves through the community, highlighting the urgent need for improved safety protocols at popular tourist destinations. Furthermore, the tranquil setting of the Pavana Dam in Lonavala has also been marred by a series of tragic drownings, underscoring the critical importance of implementing enhanced safety measures in the region. During the monsoon season, a large number of tourists visit the Bhushi and Pavana dams, Lonavala, Sinhgad, Malshej and Tamhini and other places, ...
Delhi govt FY25 Budget aims to provide Rs 1,000 in monthly assistance for eligible women aged above 18. Maharashtra and Himachal Pradesh have drafted similar schemes
Maharashtra Minister Tanaji Sawant on Monday said dental treatment will now be covered under the Pradhan Mantra Jan Aarogya and Mahatma Phule Jan Aarogya schemes. The state public health minister made the announcement while responding to a question from legislator Satyajeet Tambe in the state legislative council. This expansion broadens the coverage of the two schemes that provide a wide range of medical treatments free of cost at government-recognised hospitals. "Currently, 1,000 private and state-run hospitals are recognised under the schemes. With the latest decision, 900 more hospitals will be included. The expansion is expected to be completed by July 31," Sawant said. The state government is also working on developing an anti-fraud application to prevent hospitals from submitting bogus bills, he said.
The Maharashtra government will soon unveil a policy regarding hoardings in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR), state Minister Uday Samant told the legislative assembly on Monday. Samant made the statement during a discussion about hoardings erected in the city by violating rules and the hoarding collapse incident in which 17 people lost their lives last month. "A policy will be unveiled once the code of conduct for the legislative council polls ends after the results are declared for the graduates and teachers constituencies," the minister said. He said the committee headed by former Allahabad High Court chief justice Dilip Bhosle is probing the May 13 hoarding collapse in Mumbai's Ghatkopar area. BJP legislator Ram Kadam alleged that Bhavesh Bhinde, whose firm erected the hoarding that collapsed, was photographed with Shiv Sena (UBT) chief Uddhav Thackeray, and his role should also be probed. Samant further said that permissions are not taken from the civic authorities when ..
Tata Group-owned Air India on Monday said it will set up a training institute at Amravati in Maharashtra with an aim to train 180 commercial pilots annually. The DGCA-licensed Flight Training Organisation (FTO) at the Belora Airport will be the largest such institute in South Asia and become operational from the first quarter of next financial year, Air India said in a statement. According to the airline, the upcoming facility will be the first by any Indian airline in the country and will have 31 single-engine aircraft and three twin-engine aircraft for training. Air India said it has got the tender from the Maharashtra Airport Development Company (MADC) to establish and operate the facility for 30 years. "The FTO at Amravati will be a significant step towards making Indian aviation more self-reliant and offering more opportunities to the youth in India to fulfil their ambitions of flying as pilots. "The young pilots coming out of this FTO will fuel Air India's ambition of becomi
The first FIR in Maharashtra under the new Bharatiya Nyay Sanhita (BNS) was registered by the Sawantwadi police in Sindhudurg district on Monday, Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said in the state assembly. He did not give details of the case. Three new criminal laws came into effect on Monday, bringing far-reaching changes in India's criminal justice system. The Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS), the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS) and the Bharatiya Sakshya Adhiniyam (BSA) replaced the colonial-era Indian Penal Code, Code of Criminal Procedure and the Indian Evidence Act, respectively. Fadnavis, who holds the home portfolio, said in the House that the first FIR under the new criminal law provisions was registered at 2.19 am at the Sawantwadi police station. He also said Maharashtra for the first time has a woman chief secretary following the appointment of Sujata Saunik to the post. Rashmi Shukla is the first woman DGP (Director General of Police) of the state, he .
Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Monday said a law to curb exam paper leaks will be enacted during the ongoing monsoon session of the state legislature. Fadnavis made the announcement in the state assembly while replying to a supplementary question during the Question Hour on the issue of recruitment in government jobs. Congress member Balasaheb Thorat, NCP (SP) legislator Rohit Pawar, BJP's Ashish Shelar and Bhaskar Jadhav of the Shiv Sena (UBT) asked the government if it will enact a strong law to curb paper leaks. Fadnavis said a bill will be tabled in this session itself for the enactment of the law. In the wake of the alleged leak of NEET paper and malpractices in various other exams, Maharashtra Congress chief Nana Patole on Saturday said the state government must enact a strict law to curb paper leaks and punish the guilty.
Ninety three persons have suffered from stomach infections after apparently consuming contaminated water from a well at a village in Maharashtra's Nanded district, officials said on Monday. The Mugaon Tanda village, where the incident took place, has 107 houses with a population of 440, as per the officials. Ninety three persons approached a local health centre on June 26 and 27 with complaints of abdominal pain and loose motions, district health officer Balaji Shinde told PTI. While 56 patients were treated in the Mugaon Tanda village, 37 others were referred to a primary health centre in neighbouring Manjaram village and later discharged, he said. A team of doctors was stationed in the Mugaon Tanda village, the official said. "We conducted a survey and the possible source of infection was a well from where water is supplied to the villagers. The well has been sealed and water from a nearby filter plant is being made available to the villagers," he said.
Senior IAS officer Sujata Saunik on Sunday took over as Maharashtra's Chief Secretary, becoming the first woman in the state's 64-year-old history to occupy the top post. Saunik, an IAS officer of the 1987 batch, succeeds Nitin Kareer who retired as the chief secretary on Sunday. She will have a year's tenure before retiring in June next year, an official said. Kareer handed over the charge to Saunik at a ceremony held at Mantralaya, the state secretariat in south Mumbai Monday evening. Before her elevation as the chief secretary, Saunik, whose husband Manoj Saunik is also a former state chief secretary, was the additional chief secretary in the state home department. Sujata Saunik has three decades of public policy and governance experience in healthcare, finance, education, disaster management, and peacekeeping at the district, state, and federal levels and in international organisations as part of the Indian Administrative Service and the United Nations.
The Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Ltd's (MSEDCL) 6,600 MW tender for long-term power procurement has come under the security of Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission (MERC). In response to an application filed by the state power utility MSEDCL to seek approval for deviation in the standard bidding documents, the MERC has questioned the state power utility why the approval was not sought before initiating the bidding process, according to the regulator's June 25 order. The state power regulator has directed the MSEDCL to demonstrate in quantifiable terms how the proposed deviations in the bidding documents are in the consumers' interest. MSEDCL in March issued a tender to procure 1,600 MW thermal power and 5,000 MW of solar power in Maharashtra. This was just before the model code of conduct for the Lok Sabha elections kicked in. The power procurement was for meeting the demand for 2033-34, i.e. 10 years from now. The MERC in its order asked MSEDCL to .
Drug trade in any form will not be tolerated in Maharashtra, Chief Minister Eknath Shinde said on Saturday. The Opposition has targeted the state government over the rising use of narcotic drugs and other banned substances following the arrest of some persons for alleged drug consumption at a pub in Pune city. Shinde was speaking to reporters after attending the 'palkhi' procession of Sant Dnyaneshwar Maharaj at Dehu in the district. The procession is part of the annual 'waari' or pilgrimage to Pandharpur which lakhs of devotees of Lord Vitthal undertake. "Any trade of drugs will not be tolerated in Maharashtra. The government is working on it, strict action will be taken against all those involved," the CM said. "I have given orders to remove 'paan' shops located near schools and colleges in the state. I have also asked police find the chain of peddlers or suppliers who are ruining the young generation. Officers who take a lax approach (while probing drug cases) will face ...