- ALSO READ
The siege at Thomas Jefferson High School in San Antonio began about 1 pm Tuesday after police received a call of a possible shooting in progress at the school, according to a police statement.
The school was placed on lockdown as police entered and began clearing the campus but found no evidence of an active threat or shooting.
"Our department and San Antonio Police Department established there was no shooting, but then we had to do a methodical search room by room with our strike teams," said Chief Johnny Reyes of the San Antonio Independent School District police.
"We went to the place where they said the shooting had occurred and we were able to quickly establish that no shooting had happened."
Instead, some students were found to have had an altercation, but they denied having or displaying a weapon at any point, Reyes said.
But frightened students already had made alarming telephone calls to their parents, who descended en masse on the school where 29 school district officers and 58 city police officers were on hand.
One man shoved his fist through a window in an effort to gain entry to the school, lacerating his arm. Police applied a tourniquet to that arm. Others were handcuffed and detained after physically struggling with officers, but there were no immediate reports of arrests.
The scare was the latest in a wave of such incidents since the May 24 mass shooting at a Uvalde, Texas, elementary school that killed 19 children and two teachers. A similar panic occurred at Heights High School in Houston on September 13 after the school received a threat. Threats last week also prompted school shutdowns at districts near Austin and Houston and in California, Massachusetts, Florida, Arkansas, Oregon, Illinois, Kansas and Oklahoma.
San Antonio district Superintendent Jaime Aquino said the district needed to find better ways to communicate with parents in real time. "I'm assuming that if we had not had Uvalde, perhaps we would not have the reaction of the parents. So we just have to understand that," he said.
(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.
First Published: Wed, September 21 2022. 08:56 IST