Business Standard

Almost a week before terror attack, intelligence warning of IED attack was sent to CRPF, other agencies (Repeating for All Needing)

IANS  |  New Delhi 

The on February 8 had sent an intelligence input to the CRPF, BSF, ITBP, SSB, Army and the warning of a possible IED attack, according to a letter written by the

It is not known why despite the early warning, the CRPF allowed its 78-vehicle convoy carrying 2,547 security personnel to go from the transit camp in to -- a 270-km stretch.

In the worst-ever attack since militancy erupted in the state, 45 CRPF personnel died and many others were injured on Thursday afternoon when a suicide bomber belonging to Jaish-e-Mohammed rammed his vehicle packed with improvised (IED) into a bus carrying Central paramilitary force personnel.

The intelligence input, sent on behalf of the of Police, Kashmir, asked all security agencies to "sanitize areas properly before occupying your place or deployment as there are inputs that IEDs could be used".

Marked "Extremely Urgent", the letter accessed by IANS, was marked to the of Central Reserve Police Force, South Srinagar; DIG CRPF, North Srinagar; DIG CRPF North Kashmir, Baramulla; DIG CRPF South Kashmir, Awantipora; DIG CRPF South Kashmir, Anantnag; DIG Sashastra Seema Bal, (Special Operations) Kashmir and all Senior Superintendents of zone.

The information was also shared with Inspector General, CRPF, Kashmir operations sector, IG CRPF, sector, IG Headquarter Kashmir, all range of zone, General Staff (operations) at the Srinagar-based 15 Corps, the DIG (ITBP), the Air Force, , the (CISF) and SSP, Armed Police, Control Room

The letter also mentioned that it should be for "all concerned".

A suicide bomber, affiliated with Pakistan-based terror group, rammed his SUV packed with explosives into a CRPF bus on the highway in district, killing 45 troopers and leaving the security established stunned. The incident took place around 3.15 p.m., triggering a deafening explosion.

The later claimed responsibility for the horror and released a video clip of the suicide bomber, a 'commander' identified as Adil Ahmad Dar, which it claimed was shot before the young man carried out the strike in Lethpora, about 30 km from here.

So devastating was the attack -- one report spoke of 200 kg of explosives, including probably RDX, packed into the SUV -- that the CRPF bus was left in a mangled heap, many of its occupants losing their limbs.

CRPF officials said the bus which was the main target of the militants was completely destroyed while another CRPF vehicle was partly damaged. "It is difficult to believe how anyone in that bus could have survived," said a

This is the worst single attack in and Kashmir since a nascent Pakistan-backed separatist campaign began in 1989. It is also the worst attack carried out by militants after the one on the camp on September 18, 2016 left 19 soldiers dead -- forcing to launch 'surgical strikes' on terrorist camps in

Officials said the reason why so many CRPF personnel were on the move at one go was because the had been shut for the past two days due to bad weather. The convoy left Jammu before dawn.

(Rajnish Singh can be contacted at



(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, February 15 2019. 18:22 IST