You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Kathua case: Police claims witness threatened by accused

Press Trust of India  |  Pathankot (JK) 

One of the witnesses in the gangrape and murder case has been threatened by the accused, the and Kashmir Police today said in an application before a court here.

SSP (Crime Branch) Jammu, in the application before the District and Sessions Court, which is hearing the case, alleged that the witness, whose statement was being recorded, was threatened by the accused, A told reporters outside the court.

However, the defence objected to it and termed it as a "sensational application moved to hype the matter in media".

"It could be motivated by the prosecution or someone else... this all is being done to get Z-grade security," the said.

Also, District and ordered the of the Jail to ensure that the relatives can meet the accused in the prison immediately after reaching there and not need to wait.

The passed the order in response to an application moved by the lawyers of the family of one of the accused, Tilak Raj.

The defence had said since the accused are moved from Jail to the court on daily basis and have to leave at around 9 am, their families are unable to meet them.

On a request of perjury by the defence counsel, the court asked the prosecution to again submit translated copies of statements of the case from Urdu to English to everybody.

Also, the statement of a witness was recorded, the said.

An eight-year-old nomadic girl was gangraped and murdered in in January.

The district and framed charges under various sections of the Ranbir Penal Code (applicable in and Kashmir). These include Sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy), 302 (murder) and 376-D (gangrape).

The court also framed charges for destruction of evidence and under section 328 (causing hurt by poisoning with an intent to hurt) of the RPC.

According to the charge sheet, the victim was held in captivity at a small village temple in where she was kept sedated and sexually assaulted before she was bludgeoned to death.

On January 23, about a week after the body was discovered, the government handed over the case to the crime branch, which formed a Special Investigation Team.

The trial in the case began on May 31 with the seven accused being produced before the district and after the transferred the case from and Kashmir to Pathankot for a fair trial following a plea by the victim's family.

While transferring the case from Kathua to Pathankot, about 30 km away, the apex court directed day-to-day in-camera trial in the case.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Thu, June 14 2018. 20:55 IST