You are here: Home » Sports » Sports News » News
Business Standard

Unvaccinated for Covid, Novak Djokovic pulls out of Montreal tournament

Novak Djokovic withdrew from the upcoming hard-court tournament in Montreal on Thursday because he is not vaccinated against COVID-19 and is therefore not allowed to enter Canada

Topics
Novak Djokovic | Coronavirus Vaccine

AP  |  Montreal 

Novak Djokovic
Tennis player Novak Djokovic

withdrew from the upcoming hard-court tournament in Montreal on Thursday because he is not vaccinated against COVID-19 and is therefore not allowed to enter Canada.

By the same reason, as things stand now, he also will not be able to compete in the US Open later this month.

Djokovic, a 35-year-old from Serbia, has said he won't get the shots, even if that means he can't go to certain tournaments. He missed the Australian Open in January after being deported from that country and needed to sit out two events in the United States earlier this year.

He did play in the French Open, where he lost in the quarterfinals to Rafael Nadal, and at Wimbledon, which Djokovic won last month for his 21st Grand Slam title one behind the men's record held by Nadal.

Unvaccinated foreign citizens can't go to Canada or the US, so Djokovic pulled out of Montreal a day before the draw is scheduled to take place for the tournament and is expected to have to sit out the US Open, which starts in New York on August 29.

Last weekend, Djokovic posted on social media that he was holding out hope of getting the chance to play in the US Open, writing: I am preparing as if I will be allowed to compete, while I await to hear if there is any room for me to travel to US Fingers crossed!

After beating Nick Kyrgios in the Wimbledon final on July 10, Djokovic said he would love to participate in the last Grand Slam tournament of the year at Flushing Meadows, but also acknowledged, I'm not planning to get vaccinated.

Djokovic is a three-time champion at the US Open. His loss to Daniil Medvedev in last year's final there prevented Djokovic from becoming the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to win a calendar-year Grand Slam.

Oscar Otte also withdrew from Montreal on Thursday; Kyrgios and Benjamin Bonzi moved into the bracket.

Four wild-card berths went to three-time major champion Andy Murray, David Goffin, Vasek Pospisil and Alexis Galarneau.

Nadal, who pulled out of Wimbledon before the semi-finals because of a torn abdominal muscle, is still scheduled to play in Montreal.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Fri, August 05 2022. 07:19 IST