Saturday, February 21, 2026 | 11:18 PM ISTहिंदी में पढें
Business Standard
Notification Icon
userprofile IconSearch

Israel

US envoy's 'Israel take it all' remark sparks backlash in West Asia

Arab and Muslim nations on Saturday sharply condemned comments by the US ambassador to Israel, Mike Huckabee, who said Israel has a right to much of the Middle East. Huckabee made the comments in an interview with conservative commentator Tucker Carlson that aired Friday. Carlson said that according to the Bible, the descendants of Abraham would receive land that today would include essentially the entire Middle East, and asked Huckabee if Israel had a right to that land. Huckabee responded: "It would be fine if they took it all." Huckabee added, however, that Israel was not looking to expand its territory and has a right to security in the land it legitimately holds. His comments sparked immediate backlash from neighbouring Egypt and Jordan, the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation and the League of Arab States, which in separate statements called them extremist, provocative and not in line with the US position. Egypt's foreign ministry called Huckabee's comments a "blatant violati

US envoy's 'Israel take it all' remark sparks backlash in West Asia
Updated On : 21 Feb 2026 | 9:44 PM IST

Israeli strikes in Lebanon kill at least 12, intensifying regional tensions

At least 12 people were killed and 24 wounded - including three children - in Israeli strikes in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley Friday, the Lebanese Health Ministry reported. Another two people were killed by an Israeli strike on a Palestinian refugee camp earlier in the day. Israel said it had hit "command centers" of the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah in Bekaa Valley. There was no immediate statement from Hezbollah. Local television footage from the scene of one of the strikes in the Bekaa showed the targeted site appeared to be an apartment building, and emergency crews were fighting a fire and searching in the rubble for survivors. Earlier Friday, another Israeli strike had hit a Palestinian refugee camp in the port city of Sidon, killing two people. The Israeli military said it hit a "Hamas command center" in the Ein el-Hilweh camp. Hamas acknowledged that two of its members had been killed in the strike but called the claim that a command center was struck a "flimsy pretex

Image
Updated On : 21 Feb 2026 | 12:57 PM IST

Netanyahu calls India 'gigantic power' ahead of PM Modi's Israel visit

Describing India as a "gigantic power", Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said that Israel is "tightening alliances" with its allies, as he mentioned Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Jerusalem next week. Prime Minister Modi is expected to arrive in Israel on February 25 on a two-day visit during which he is likely to address the Knesset (parliament) and meet Netanyahu and President Isaac Herzog. Netanyahu made the comments while addressing the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) Cadets' Graduation Ceremony in Bahad 1 (IDF Officers School), about 190 kms south of Jerusalem, on Thursday. After describing valiant efforts by the Israeli army over the years, Netanyahu said how the country goes out and takes "pre-emptive measures" against the evil, and, therefore, will act time and again "to neutralise the risks in the area, as necessary." "We will also act to tighten alliances with our allies. Next week, the Prime Minister of India will visit the country a gigantic power," Netanyahu

Netanyahu calls India 'gigantic power' ahead of PM Modi's Israel visit
Updated On : 20 Feb 2026 | 5:38 PM IST

Israel condemns attack on Indian workers in Ashkelon, perpetrators held

The Israeli embassy in India informed that the perpetrators have been caught and assured that justice will be delivered

Israel condemns attack on Indian workers in Ashkelon, perpetrators held
Updated On : 20 Feb 2026 | 6:38 AM IST

India joins over 100 countries in opposing Israel's actions in West Bank

India has joined over 100 countries and global organisations in condemning Israel's "unilateral" decisions and measures aimed at expanding its "unlawful presence" in the West Bank. A statement was issued by the Permanent Observer Mission of Palestine to the UN on Wednesday on behalf of the 100 countries and organisations "condemning Israel's unilateral measures and rejecting annexation." According to the statement, the signatories "strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank." "Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed. We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation," it said. Earlier, 85 nations had condemned Israel's unilateral measures and policies in the occupied West Bank through the statement issued on February 17. India was not among these initial nations that had jointly issued the statement. Later, Ne

India joins over 100 countries in opposing Israel's actions in West Bank
Updated On : 19 Feb 2026 | 9:31 PM IST

India, Israel sign another MoU to deepen defence ties ahead of Modi's visit

Ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Israel later this month, an MoU was signed between India and Israel to deepen defence ties and strengthen ongoing joint activities, including future seminars and cooperative initiatives. The International Defence Cooperation Directorate (SIBAT) within Israel's Ministry of Defense (IMOD) have facilitated meetings between leading Indian and Israel defence industries leading to the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU). SIBAT in cooperation with the Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM) and India's Ministry of Defence led a seminar and B2B meetings this week between leading Indian and Israeli defence companies, the IMOD said. "The seminar was led by SIBAT Director, Brig. Gen. (Res.) Yair Kulas, and brought together small, medium and large Israeli and Indian defence companies for substantive engagements, with the goal of deepening familiarity with India's defense industrial ecosystem and its updated Defense Acquisition

India, Israel sign another MoU to deepen defence ties ahead of Modi's visit
Updated On : 19 Feb 2026 | 2:54 PM IST

PM Narendra Modi to visit Israel next week, says Benjamin Netanyahu

'Tremendous alliance between Israel and India, and we are going to discuss all sorts of cooperation', the Israeli PM said

PM Narendra Modi to visit Israel next week, says Benjamin Netanyahu
Updated On : 17 Feb 2026 | 7:54 AM IST

PM Modi to visit Israel on Feb 25-26, second trip since 2017: Report

Prime Minister Narendra Modi will travel to Israel on a two-day visit from February 25 to 26, sources said on Monday. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu first broke news of Modi's visit while addressing the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organisations on Sunday. "Parliament address on the anvil. Who's coming here next week? Narendra Modi," Netanyahu told the gathering. "Tremendous alliance between Israel and India, and we are going to discuss all sorts of cooperation. Now, you know, India is not a small country. It has 1.4 billion people. India is enormously powerful, enormously popular," he stressed. A source here told PTI that PM Modi's visit is 'likely to be short from February 25 to 26", but "its impact is deep given the popularity Modi enjoys not only in Israel but around the world". While the programme around the visit is being worked out, PM Modi is expected to address the Israeli Knesset (parliament). Modi is likely to touch upon all issues of ..

PM Modi to visit Israel on Feb 25-26, second trip since 2017: Report
Updated On : 16 Feb 2026 | 5:19 PM IST

Netanyahu seeks to strip Israeli nationality of convicted Palestinians

Israel has asked a court to revoke the citizenship of two men convicted of terrorism offences, in what appears to be the first test of a law allowing the deportation of Palestinian citizens convicted of certain violent crimes. Court documents filed by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday argued that the severity of the crimes, along with payments those found guilty allegedly received from a Palestinian Authority fund, justify revoking citizenship and expelling the individuals convicted of violent attacks. Roughly one in five Israeli citizens is Palestinian. When the law passed, critics said it was one instance in which Israel's legal system treats Jewish and Palestinian citizens differently. Rights groups argued that basing a deportation law on Palestinian Authority payments effectively limited its application on the basis of race and excluded Jewish Israelis - including settlers convicted of attacks against Palestinians - from the threat of having their citizenship ...

Netanyahu seeks to strip Israeli nationality of convicted Palestinians
Updated On : 13 Feb 2026 | 7:39 AM IST

Netanyahu to urge expanded Iran talks as Trump says Tehran wants a deal

With President Donald Trump saying he believes Iran wants to make a deal on its nuclear program, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is expected to arrive at the White House on Wednesday with his own urgent message: Expand the talks further. The visit from Netanyahu - their seventh meeting in Trump's second term - comes as both Tehran and Washington are projecting cautious optimism after holding indirect talks in Oman on Friday about how once again to approach negotiations over Iran's nuclear program. "We'll see what happens. I think they want to make a deal," Trump said in an interview Tuesday with Fox Business Network's Larry Kudlow. "I think they'd be foolish if they didn't. We took out their nuclear power last time, and we'll have to see if we take out more this time." He added, "It's got to be a good deal. No nuclear weapons, no missiles." Netanyahu pushes for more in Iran talks ------------------------------------------ Netanyahu's office has said he wants those talks

Netanyahu to urge expanded Iran talks as Trump says Tehran wants a deal
Updated On : 11 Feb 2026 | 11:17 AM IST

Trump, Netanyahu meet to likely focus on energy, deregulation: White House

Heading to Washington on Tuesday to meet Trump, Netanyahu said he planned to convey Israel's position on US nuclear talks with Tehran during the meeting

Trump, Netanyahu meet to likely focus on energy, deregulation: White House
Updated On : 11 Feb 2026 | 7:12 AM IST

Israeli strikes kill 3 people near Gaza City amid renewed peace efforts

Israeli military strikes on Monday killed three people west of Gaza City, according to the hospital where the casualties arrived. Shifa Hospital reported the deaths amid the months-old ceasefire that has seen continued fighting. The Israeli army said Monday it is striking targets in response to Israeli troops coming under fire in the southern city of Rafah, which it says was a violation of the ceasefire. The army said it is striking targets "in a precise manner." The four-month-old US-backed ceasefire followed stalled negotiations and included Israel and Hamas accepting a 20-point plan proposed by US President Donald Trump aimed at ending the war unleashed by Hamas' October 7, 2023, attack into Israel. At the time, Trump said it would lead to a "Strong, Durable, and Everlasting Peace." Hamas freed all the living hostages it still held at the outset of the deal in exchange for thousands of Palestinian prisoners held by Israel and the remains of others. But the larger issues the ...

Israeli strikes kill 3 people near Gaza City amid renewed peace efforts
Updated On : 10 Feb 2026 | 7:21 AM IST

A START for multilateralism: Nuclear proliferation needs a global treaty

The US and Russia currently account for 90 per cent of all nuclear weapons. But there are now a total of nine nuclear-armed states, which collectively account for 12,241 warheads as of January 2025

A START for multilateralism: Nuclear proliferation needs a global treaty
Updated On : 09 Feb 2026 | 9:32 PM IST

Israeli strikes kill 24 in Gaza as ceasefire comes under fresh strain

Israeli strikes pounded Gaza on Wednesday, killing at least 24 Palestinians, including two babies, according to health officials in the territory, where a fragile ceasefire has come under increasing strain. Israel said it killed three militant leaders and others who posed a threat to its forces, and that some strikes came in response to a Hamas attack that seriously wounded one of its soldiers. Deadly Israeli strikes have repeatedly disrupted the truce since it took effect on October 10. The escalating Palestinian toll has prompted many in Gaza to say it feels like the war is continuing unabated. Among the Palestinians killed on Wednesday were at least five children, seven women and an on-duty paramedic, according to hospital officials. "The genocidal war against our people in the Gaza Strip continues," said Dr Mohamed Abu Selmiya, director of Gaza City's Shifa Hospital, in a Facebook post. "Where is the ceasefire? Where are the mediators?" Israel strongly denies accusations that i

Israeli strikes kill 24 in Gaza as ceasefire comes under fresh strain
Updated On : 05 Feb 2026 | 6:49 AM IST

Gaza's Rafah crossing reopens for limited traffic as ceasefire advances

Palestinians in Gaza watched with hope and impatience Sunday as workers laid the groundwork to reopen the territory's Rafah border crossing with Egypt, its lifeline to the world. Israel says the crossing is scheduled to resume Monday as its ceasefire with Hamas moves ahead. "Opening the crossing is a good step, but they set a limit on the number of people allowed to cross, and this is a problem," said Ghalia Abu Mustafa, a woman from Khan Younis. Israel said the crossing had opened in a test, and the Israeli military agency that controls aid to Gaza said residents could begin crossing Monday. But only a small number of people can cross at first. "We want a large number of people to leave, for it to be open so that sick people can go and return," said Suhaila Al-Astal, a woman displaced from the city of Rafah who said her sick daughter needed help abroad. "We want the crossing to be open permanently." Israel's announcement came a day after Israeli strikes killed at least 30 ...

Gaza's Rafah crossing reopens for limited traffic as ceasefire advances
Updated On : 02 Feb 2026 | 1:48 PM IST

Israeli strikes kill at least 12 in Gaza as ceasefire efforts inch forward

Hospitals in Gaza said Israeli strikes killed at least 12 Palestinians Saturday, one of the highest tolls since an October agreement aimed at stopping the fighting. The strikes hit locations in northern and southern Gaza, including an apartment building in Gaza City and a tent in Khan Younis, officials at hospitals that received the bodies said. The casualties included two women and six children from two different families. The strikes came a day before a border crossing is set to open in Gaza's southernmost city, a reminder that the death toll is still rising even as a ceasefire agreement inches forward. All of the territory's border crossings have been closed since the start of the war and Palestinians see the Rafah crossing with Egypt as a lifeline for the tens of thousands in need of treatment outside the territory, where the majority of medical infrastructure has been destroyed. Shifa Hospital said the Gaza City strike killed a mother, three children and one of their relatives

Israeli strikes kill at least 12 in Gaza as ceasefire efforts inch forward
Updated On : 31 Jan 2026 | 3:09 PM IST

US approves $6.67 billion arms sales to Israel, $9 billion to Saudi Arabia

The Trump administration has approved a massive new series of arms sales to Israel totalling USD 6.67 billion and to Saudi Arabia worth USD 9 billion. Both sets of sales were announced by the State Department late Friday as tensions rise in the Middle East over the possibility of US military strikes in Iran. They were made public after the department notified Congress of its approval of the sales earlier Friday. The sales also were announced as President Donald Trump pushes ahead with his ceasefire plan for Gaza that is intended to end the Israel-Hamas conflict and reconstruct and redevelop the Palestinian territory after two years of war left it devastated, with tens of thousands dead. The Saudi sale is for 730 Patriot missiles and related equipment that "will support the foreign policy and national security objectives of the United States by improving the security of a Major non-NATO Ally that is a force for political stability and economic progress in the Gulf Region," the ...

US approves $6.67 billion arms sales to Israel, $9 billion to Saudi Arabia
Updated On : 31 Jan 2026 | 7:35 AM IST

Israel returns 15 Palestinian bodies in final exchange under Gaza ceasefire

Israel turned over the bodies of 15 Palestinians on Thursday, just days after recovering the remains of the last Israeli hostage, a Gaza Health Ministry official said. This marks the last hostage-detainee exchange between Israel and Hamas carried out as part of the first phase of the US-brokered ceasefire reached in October. The Red Cross said it helped facilitate the return of the bodies. They were taken to Shifa Hospital in Gaza City, said Zaher al-Wahidi, a spokesperson at the health ministry. The return of all remaining hostages, living or dead, had been a key part of the first phase in the ceasefire that paused the war. Israel agreed to return 15 Palestinian bodies for each hostage recovered, according to the ceasefire terms. It's unclear if the bodies released Thursday were of Palestinian detainees who died in Israeli custody or bodies taken from Gaza by Israeli troops during the war. Israel has released roughly 2,000 Palestinian prisoners under the ceasefire deal, many who

Israel returns 15 Palestinian bodies in final exchange under Gaza ceasefire
Updated On : 30 Jan 2026 | 7:34 AM IST

Vikram Misri links Hamas Oct 7 attack on Israel to cross-border terrorism

At the International Holocaust Remembrance Day, Misri said India has its own share of experience as a victim of cross-border terrorism, in a veiled reference to April 2025 Pahalgam terrorist attack

Vikram Misri links Hamas Oct 7 attack on Israel to cross-border terrorism
Updated On : 28 Jan 2026 | 2:58 PM IST

Recovery of last Gaza hostage remains opens path for ceasefire phase two

The remains of the final hostage in Gaza have been recovered, Israel's military said Monday, clearing the way for the next phase of the ceasefire that paused the Israel-Hamas war. The announcement that the remains of Ran Gvili had been found and identified came a day after Israel's government said the military was conducting a "large-scale operation" in a cemetery in northern Gaza to locate them. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called it "an incredible achievement" for Israel and its soldiers, telling Israeli media that "I promised we would bring everyone home and we have brought everyone home." He said Gvili, who was killed during the Hamas-led attack on Oct. 7, 2023, that sparked the war, was among the first to be taken into Gaza. The return of all remaining hostages, living or dead, has been a key part of the Gaza ceasefire's first phase, and Gvili's family had urged Israel's government not to enter the second phase until his remains were recovered and returned. Netanyahu's ..

Recovery of last Gaza hostage remains opens path for ceasefire phase two
Updated On : 26 Jan 2026 | 10:19 PM IST