Sunday, May 24, 2026 | 12:58 PM ISTहिंदी में पढें
Business Standard
Notification Icon
userprofile IconSearch

Page 2 - Israel

West Asia war: Trump may extend ceasefire with Iran amid Hormuz blockade

Donald Trump says Iran ceasefire may be extended as talks continue; he signals progress in negotiations and said he could visit Islamabad if a peace deal is signed

West Asia war: Trump may extend ceasefire with Iran amid Hormuz blockade
Updated On : 17 Apr 2026 | 9:58 AM IST

Lebanese army accuses Israel of violating ceasefire, urges caution in south

In a statement posted on X, the Lebanese army said several violations had been recorded since the ceasefire came into effect, warning civilians to remain cautious

Lebanese army accuses Israel of violating ceasefire, urges caution in south
Updated On : 17 Apr 2026 | 8:33 AM IST

10-day Israel-Lebanon ceasefire takes effect amid Hezbollah opposition

A 10-day ceasefire announced by US President Donald Trump and agreed on by Lebanon and Israel started at midnight Thursday local time. The two neighbouring countries held their first direct diplomatic talks in decades on Tuesday in Washington after more than a month of war between Israel and the Iran-backed, Lebanon-based Hezbollah militant group. The truce, if it holds, could boost attempts to extend the ceasefire between Iran, the United States and Israel after weeks of devastating war that killed thousands of people and upended global markets by disrupting the flow of oil. Hezbollah started firing on Israel right after the start of the Iran war. It kept up attacks focused on northern Israel communities through Thursday night, with at least eight people injured including two seriously, according to Israel's emergency services. Air raid sirens were sounding in a few northern Israeli communities just minutes before the ceasefire was going into effect. Israel's military also said la

10-day Israel-Lebanon ceasefire takes effect amid Hezbollah opposition
Updated On : 17 Apr 2026 | 7:21 AM IST

'Agreed to ceasefire to advance peace efforts with Lebanon': Netanyahu

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday said he has agreed to a 10-day ceasefire in Lebanon. In a video statement, Netanyahu said he was taking the step in an attempt "to advance" peace efforts with Lebanon. Israel and Lebanon opened negotiations this week in Washington aimed at forging a peace agreement. The Hezbollah militant group, which has been fighting Israel for six weeks, has said it opposes the dialogue. "We have an opportunity to make a historic peace agreement with Lebanon," Netanyahu said. Israel has staged a ground invasion in southern Lebanon, where its forces have been engaged in fierce battles with Hezbollah in the border area. Hezbollah added that "Israeli occupation on our land grants Lebanon and its people the right to resist it, and this matter will be determined based on how developments unfold," a stance that could complicate the ceasefire. Netanyahu said Israeli troops will stay in an expanded security zone in southern Lebanon "much stronger,

'Agreed to ceasefire to advance peace efforts with Lebanon': Netanyahu
Updated On : 17 Apr 2026 | 6:46 AM IST

Bid to ease tensions: Trump announces Israel-Lebanon talks, first in 34 yrs

The announcement signals a potential diplomatic breakthrough in a region marked by an increase in hostility and intermittent conflict between Israel and Lebanon

Bid to ease tensions: Trump announces Israel-Lebanon talks, first in 34 yrs
Updated On : 16 Apr 2026 | 12:07 PM IST

Hezbollah launches 39 military ops against Israeli targets in 24 hours

In a separate incident, at least four paramedics were killed, and six others were injured in Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon's Mayfadoun

Hezbollah launches 39 military ops against Israeli targets in 24 hours
Updated On : 16 Apr 2026 | 9:01 AM IST

Israeli strikes kill 4 Lebanese medics as war with Hezbollah grinds on

The Israeli military on Wednesday killed four Lebanese rescue workers and wounded six others in three consecutive, targeted strikes, paramedic groups said, a stark illustration of the human cost of the Israeli military campaign against Hezbollah in southern Lebanon a day after it the two countries held historic talks in Washington. The back-to-back Israeli attacks on the southern village of Mayfadoun, near the bigger town of Nabatiyeh, hit the first group of medics responding to a distress call from wounded civilians, a second group trying to assist their wounded colleagues and a third group rushing to aid the first two teams that had been targeted. The Israeli military did not respond to a request for comment on the strikes beyond saying it was "looking into" what happened. It has previously accused the Iran-backed Hezbollah militant group of using ambulances as cover for militant activities, without offering evidence. The Lebanese Health Ministry condemned the attacks as a "blatan

Israeli strikes kill 4 Lebanese medics as war with Hezbollah grinds on
Updated On : 16 Apr 2026 | 7:35 AM IST

Children killed in Lebanon as Israeli-Hezbollah strikes hit homes

Jawad Younes, 11, and his cousins were playing soccer in the lot between their houses, as they often did. His little brother, 4-year-old Mehdi, had joined them but grew tired, so Jawad took him home and handed him off to their mother before returning to the game. Minutes later, an Israeli strike came. The target was Jawad's uncle's home. The blast shook neighbouring buildings and threw Jawad's siblings at home to the ground. As their mother, Malak Meslmani, scrambled to help them up, she could think only of Jawad. "I was pulling my children off the floor in the house, but as I was running to pick them up, I screamed, Jawad,'" she said. "My heart told me." Her son was instantly killed in the March 27 Israeli strike in Saksakieh. So was one of his cousins - so close they were more like brothers. Several other children were wounded. Jawad's uncle also was killed. He was an interior design engineer; Jawad wanted to be an engineer like him. Meslmani called him a civilian. But like many

Children killed in Lebanon as Israeli-Hezbollah strikes hit homes
Updated On : 15 Apr 2026 | 11:57 AM IST

First Israel-Lebanon talks productive, aim to start formal negotiations: US

The State Department says the first high-level meeting between Israel and Lebanon in decades was "productive" and will continue with the aim of launching direct negotiations. In a statement released after the two-hour session in Washington between US Secretary of State Marco Rubio and the ambassadors of Israel and Lebanon to the United States, the department said, "All sides agreed to launch direct negotiations at a mutually agreed time and venue." Israel has been fighting Lebanon's Iran-backed Hezbollah movement and demands that the group, which opposed the talks and was not represented, be disarmed.

First Israel-Lebanon talks productive, aim to start formal negotiations: US
Updated On : 15 Apr 2026 | 6:57 AM IST

West Asia crisis: EAM Jaishankar speaks to Israeli, Australian counterparts

External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Tuesday spoke to his Israeli counterpart Gideon Sa'ar and discussed various aspects of the West Asia crisis amid a US naval blockade of Iran's ports. The external affairs minister also held a phone conversation with Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong and exchanged views on the situation arising out of the war between Iran and the US-Israel combine. After his call with Jaishankar, Sa'ar said Iran's action harming freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz requires "action". "Had a telecon this afternoon with Israel FM @gidonsaar. Our discussion covered different aspects of the West Asia situation," Jaishankar said on social media. The phone conversation between the two foreign ministers came amid reports of efforts by the US and Iran to hold a fresh round of negotiations after the collapse of the initial dialogue in Islamabad. "We discussed Iran, the Strait of Hormuz, and Lebanon. I said that the firm American stance in the ...

West Asia crisis: EAM Jaishankar speaks to Israeli, Australian counterparts
Updated On : 15 Apr 2026 | 6:53 AM IST

Lebanon, Israel hold first direct diplomatic talks in decades in Washington

Lebanon and Israel opened their first direct diplomatic talks in decades on Tuesday in Washington following more than a month of war between Israel and the Hezbollah militant group. Secretary of State Marco Rubio called it a "historic opportunity" and made it clear no breakthrough agreement was immediately expected. Rubio said the Trump administration is "very happy" to be facilitating the discussions, while noting that "we understand we're working against decades of history and complexities" that will not be quickly resolved. Hezbollah opposes the direct talks and was not represented, and the group appeared to step up its fire on northern Israel as the talks began. "But we can begin to move forward with a framework where something can happen, something very positive, something very permanent, so that the people of Lebanon can have the kind of future they deserve, and so that the people of Israel can live without fear," Rubio said. Rubio and US Ambassador to the United Nations Mike

Lebanon, Israel hold first direct diplomatic talks in decades in Washington
Updated On : 14 Apr 2026 | 10:38 PM IST

US State Secy Marco Rubio likely to join Israel-Lebanon talks in Washington

The negotiations, set to take place at the United States Department of State, will also include US Ambassador to Lebanon Michel Issa and State Department counsellor Michael Needham

US State Secy Marco Rubio likely to join Israel-Lebanon talks in Washington
Updated On : 14 Apr 2026 | 8:50 AM IST

Daring rescue inside Iran: How the US brought a downed airman home | US-Iran war | Trump | Israel

A US fighter jet shot down over Iran. One airman rescued fast. The other vanished into the mountains. For over 24 hours, he stayed hidden - injured, alone, and being hunted.

Icon YoutubeDaring rescue inside Iran: How the US brought a downed airman home | US-Iran war | Trump | Israel
Updated On : 13 Apr 2026 | 3:50 PM IST

Netanyahu appoints military secy Major General Gofman as new Mossad chief

Praising Gofman's credentials, Netanyahu described him as an 'outstanding officer--bold and creative,' adding that he had demonstrated 'impressive resourcefulness'

Netanyahu appoints military secy Major General Gofman as new Mossad chief
Updated On : 13 Apr 2026 | 11:16 AM IST

Israel says it struck over 200 Hezbollah targets in last 24 hours

The Israeli military said its air force hit infrastructure of the Iran-backed militant group in Lebanon and was continuing to support its ground forces operating in southern Lebanon. The statement came as Teheran was pressing for a halt to Israeli strikes on Hezbollah in three-party talks that began Saturday afternoon between Iran and the US in Pakistan. Earlier Saturday, the Lebanese state-run news agency reported at least three people killed in Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon. There were no reported strikes in the afternoon hours. In Israeli communities along the border with Lebanon sirens continued to warn of drone and rocket attacks from Lebanon throughout the day Saturday. There were no reports of injuries.

Israel says it struck over 200 Hezbollah targets in last 24 hours
Updated On : 11 Apr 2026 | 8:17 PM IST

MEA says deeply concerned by reports of civilian casualties in Lebanon

Israel invaded Lebanon last month in pursuit of Hezbollah after the group fired into Israel in support of Iran, as the US-Israel war on Iran raged

MEA says deeply concerned by reports of civilian casualties in Lebanon
Updated On : 10 Apr 2026 | 5:02 PM IST

West Asia war: Iran warns Israel on Lebanon attacks; Trump targets Hormuz

The fragile US-Iran ceasefire faces new pressure as Iran warns Israel over Hezbollah strikes in Lebanon, while Donald Trump says Tehran is doing a 'very poor job' of allowing oil through Hormuz

West Asia war: Iran warns Israel on Lebanon attacks; Trump targets Hormuz
Updated On : 10 Apr 2026 | 9:38 AM IST

Netanyahu authorises talks with Lebanon in boost to ceasefire efforts

In a potential boost to Middle East ceasefire efforts, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Thursday that he authorised direct negotiations with Lebanon "as soon as possible" aimed at disarming Iranian-backed Hezbollah militants and establishing relations between the neighbours. The two countries have technically been at war since Israel was established in 1948, and Netanyahu later stressed that there was no ceasefire between them. In a video statement, he said Israel will keep striking Hezbollah until security is restored in northern Israel. There was no immediate response from Lebanese authorities. But Israel-Lebanon negotiations were expected to begin next week at the State Department in Washington, according to a US official and a person familiar with the plans who both spoke on condition of anonymity. The prospect of talks appeared to bolster the tentative ceasefire in the Iran war that has staggered under the weight of Israel's bombardment of Beirut, Tehran's contin

Netanyahu authorises talks with Lebanon in boost to ceasefire efforts
Updated On : 10 Apr 2026 | 8:55 AM IST

Israel complicates Trump's push for peace with Iran amid Lebanon offensive

President Trump said he had asked Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to scale back Israel's military campaign in Lebanon

Israel complicates Trump's push for peace with Iran amid Lebanon offensive
Updated On : 10 Apr 2026 | 8:55 AM IST

For Israeli PM Netanyahu, the war with Iran is unfinished business

As the focus shifts to negotiations between the United States and Iran, no formal Israeli participation is planned

For Israeli PM Netanyahu, the war with Iran is unfinished business
Updated On : 10 Apr 2026 | 8:49 AM IST