Renowned poet, filmmaker, writer, and journalist Pritish Nandy passed away on Wednesday at his South Mumbai residence
In a first for Maharashtra, drones will be deployed to monitor illegal fishing along its 720-km coastline beginning January 9, a Fisheries Department official said on Wednesday. The drones will provide live footage of up to the 12-mile maritime boundary from nine locations across all seven coastal districts. The official said the streaming data collected by drones will be used to take legal action against unauthorised fishing boats. He said the drone system will be launched by Minister of State for Fisheries and Ports Nitesh Rane. "The minister will oversee the system through a live feed from the Fisheries Commissioner's Office. Streaming data collected by these drones will be used as evidence to take legal action against unauthorised fishing boats," the official said. He said the drone system will bring the entire maritime area of Maharashtra under camera surveillance, helping the government to curb illegal fishing. "It is an important step to protect marine resources and ensure
In the wider context, India has already detected three cases of HMPV. Two of the cases were identified in Bengaluru, Karnataka, and another case was recorded in Ahmedabad, Gujarat
With this empanelment, CRI Pumps is poised to play a pivotal role in promoting the adoption of renewable energy solutions, powering Maharashtra's agricultural landscape
A delegation of leaders on Monday met Maharashtra governor C P Radhakrishnan and demanded the removal of Minister Dhananjay Munde from the state cabinet, to ensure a fair probe into the murder of Beed sarpanch Santosh Deshmukh. Leaders, including BJP MLA Suresh Dhas, submitted a memorandum to the governor at Raj Bhavan, urging him to take decisive action to uphold the rule of law and public confidence in the justice system. Deshmukh, sarpanch of Massajog village in Beed district, was abducted, tortured and murdered on December 9, apparently because he tried to thwart an attempt to extort money from an energy firm operating a windmill project. Police have so far arrested seven persons in connection with the murder case. Walmik Karad, an associate of Maharashtra minister and NCP leader Dhananjay Munde, has been arrested in the extortion case. The leaders have demanded Munde's resignation, a murder case against Karad, strict action against negligent police officials, and measures to
Maharashtra Agriculture Minister Manikrao Kokate has said the Ladki Bahin Yojana is creating a burden on the state coffers, affecting its ability to implement the farm loan waiver scheme. The Ladki Bahin scheme, launched by the previous Eknath Shinde-led government in August last year to provide a monthly allowance of Rs 1,500 to eligible women, is likely to cost the state around Rs 46,000 crore annually. The scheme is said to have played a key role in the ruling Mahayuti's win in the state assembly elections held in November 2024. Speaking to reporters in Pune on Sunday, Kokate said the financial strain caused by the Ladki Bahin Yojana has disrupted the state's ability to form a surplus that would otherwise be allocated for waiving the loans of farmers. "The burden created by the Ladki Bahin scheme has affected our ability to set aside funds for the farm loan waiver. We are reviewing the financial situation, and once the state's income increases, we will move forward with the loan
Beed police have booked Maratha quota activist Manoj Jarange for allegedly making defamatory remarks against Maharashtra minister Dhananjay Munde over the murder of a sarpanch in the district, an official said. Following a complaint by one Tukaram Aghav, the Parli police here on Sunday registered a First Information Report (FIR) against Jarange over the remarks and on charges of creating a divide in the society. During a rally in Parbhani on Saturday, Jarange targeted NCP minister Munde over the murder of Santosh Deshmukh, the sarpanch of Massajog village in Beed district. The activist had said the Maratha community wouldn't allow Munde to roam on the streets if Dehmukh's family was harmed. His remarks upset Munde's supporters, who demanded that a case be registered against Jarange. They had also protested against the activist outside the Shivajinagar police station in Beed. Deshmukh was abducted, tortured and murdered on December 9, apparently because he tried to thwart an attemp
A sessions court at Nanded in central Maharashtra on Saturday acquitted all nine surviving accused in a 2006 blast case. While the detailed order was not yet available, a defence lawyer said the prosecution could not establish that the incident was a bomb blast. Of the total 12 accused in the case, two had died in the explosion, while one died during the course of the trial. District and Additional Sessions Judge C V Marathe acquitted the remaining accused on Saturday. An explosion took place on the intervening night of April 4 and 5, 2006, at the house of Laxman Rajkondwar, who was allegedly a Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh worker, in Nanded city. Rajkondwar's son Naresh Rajkondwar and Vishva Hindu Parishad activist Himanshu Panse were killed, allegedly while assembling the explosive device, the investigators claimed. The case was initially probed by the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and later transferred to the Central Bureau of Investigation. As per defence lawyer Niti
An all-party march demanding a deeper probe into the Beed sarpanch Santosh Deshmukh murder case was organised in Parbhani city of Maharashtra on Saturday. The morcha, started from the Nutan College ground, will culminate at Shivaji Maharaj's statue. Deshmukh, the sarpanch of Massajog village in Beed district, was abducted, tortured and murdered on December 9 prima facie for attempting to stop an extortion bid on an energy firm operating a windmill project in the region. Police have so far arrested six out of seven persons involved in the murder. The opposition has demanded Maharashtra minister and NCP leader Dhananjay Munde's resignation after his close aide Walmik Karad was arrested in the extortion case linked to Deshmukh's murder. Public representatives from the opposition Shiv Sena (UBT) and ruling NCP, Maratha quota leader Manoj Jarange and family members of Santosh Deshmukh joined the march. Parbhani had witnessed violence last month after a glass-encased replica of the ...
The police have arrested two absconding accused involved in the murder of Beed sarpanch Santosh Deshmukh from Maharashtra's Dhule district, an official said on Saturday. The Dhule police have arrested Sudarshan Chandrabhan Ghule (26) and Sudhir Sangle (23) and handed them over to the special investigation team of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID), which is probing the case, the official said. Deshmukh, the sarpanch of Massajog village, was abducted, tortured and murdered on December 9 for attempting to stop an extortion bid on an energy firm helming a windmill project in the region. Walmik Karad, an aide of Maharashtra minister Dhananjay Munde, has been arrested in the extortion case. Several police teams were deployed to arrest three accused who were on the run, and an SIT was constituted to nab them. The probe team interrogated three persons to trace the absconding men, appointed informants and used technical skills to nab the two accused, the official added.
Government-owned container handling port Jawaharlal Nehru Port Authority (JNPA) saw an 11.99 per cent year-on-year rise in container traffic at 7.05 TEUs (Twenty-foot Equivalent Units) in 2024. The port handled 6.35 million TEUs of containers in 2023, JNPA said in a statement. The facility also handled the highest-ever cargo throughput at 90.27 million tonnes in the just-concluded year, which was 4.25 per cent more than the figure recorded in the preceding year ended December 2023, it said. According to the port, two of its terminals -- BMCTPL and APMT -- crossed the milestone of 2-million TEUs in container handling last year. BMCTPL handled 2.12 million TEUs, which is the highest-ever container handling by any terminal in a calendar year. JNPA has five container terminals -- Nahava Sheva FreePort Terminal (NSFT), Nhava Sheva International Container Terminal (NSICT), Nahava Sheva India Gateway Terminal (NSIGT), Bharat Mumbai Container Terminal (BMCT), and GTI-APM Terminal (APM).
BJP MLA Suresh Dhas on Friday said NCP leader Dhananjay Munde should remain in the Maharashtra cabinet as a minister without portfolio till a chargesheet is filed in the murder case of sarpanch Santosh Deshmukh. The opposition parties have been demanding that Munde, whose close associate Walmik Karad has been arrested in an extortion case related to the murder, be removed from the cabinet. However, Munde, who holds the food and civil supplies portfolio, on Thursday clarified that there would be no influence from his side as a minister in the probe into these cases. Addressing a press conference in Beed, Dhas questioned the inclusion of some members in the special investigation team (SIT) probing the murder and extortion cases. "There is a member who was transferred from Gadchiroli by one of the accused, Walmik Karad. This person should not show devotion to his 'master'. Some people have connections with him (Karad). I have no objection to senior officials, but I have issues with ..
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Friday said that the state received Rs 1.13 lakh crore FDI in just six months in 2024-25, which is almost what it has received annually over the last four years. In a post on X, the chief minister said the state received Rs 1,13,236 crore in foreign direct investment (FDI) in the first two quarters of the financial year ending in September 2024. In 2020-21, the state received Rs 1,19,734 crore FDI, followed by Rs 1,14,964 crore in 2021-22, Rs 1,18,422 crore in 2022-23, and Rs 1,25,101 in 2023-24. "This means the state received 94.71 per cent of the FDI in six months as to what it received annually on an average in the last four years," Fadnavis wrote in his post. The chief minister said he, along with Deputy Chief Ministers Eknath Shinde and Ajit Pawar and his cabinet colleagues, would ensure this march continues. The sharing of FDI figures comes after an aggressive state election campaign late last year, where the opposition parties
Every year on January 3, people celebrate Savitribai Phule Jayanti. In honour of her great work towards women's education, the day is observed as Women's Education Day
The National Education Policy prioritises the country's interests as well as skill based-learning and has replaced the one introduced by British administrator Lord Macaulay, which aimed to uproot Indian culture and produce clerks, Rajasthan Governor Haribhau Bagade said on Thursday. Speaking after inaugurating the 59th Devgiri Regional Conference of the RSS-affiliated Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad here, Bagade also said students must become self-reliant, develop their intellectual and physical abilities and inculcate the spirit of service. "The education system introduced by Thomas Macaulay aimed to uproot Indian culture and produce clerks. This outdated system has been replaced by the NEP, which has been crafted by 1,400 experts. It prioritises national interests and skill based learning. It ensures those with talent will not go hungry," Bagade said. Macaulay's 'Minute on Indian Education' was primarily responsible for the introduction of Western institutional education in the
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday lauded the Maharashtra government's efforts to ensure all-round development in the state's remote and Maoist-affected areas. The prime minister's comments came a day after Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis visited Gadchiroli, a district affected by left wing extremism, and asserted that the dominance of Naxalites in remote areas of the district was ending. A number of Naxal cadres laid down their arms during his visit, with Fadnavis also unveiling several development initiatives. Modi said on X, "I laud the Maharashtra Government's efforts to ensure all-round development in remote and Maoist-affected areas. This will certainly boost 'Ease of Living' and pave the way for even more progress. A special congratulations to my sisters and brothers of Gadchiroli and the surrounding areas!" He was responding to a post by Fadnavis on his government's efforts to eliminate the violent movement from the region.
More than 28 lakh new vehicles were registered in Maharashtra in 2024, a 12.32 per cent increase from 25.63 lakh registrations in 2023, as per official data. Overall, 28.79 lakh vehicles were registered, including 20.50 lakh two-wheelers and around 4.50 lakh cars, a 12.32 per cent jump from 25.63 lakh vehicles registered in 2023. Other vehicles include more than 1.20 lakh trucks, over 9,800 public service buses, 87,300 three-wheelers, and 84,500 tractors. At 3.02 lakh, the highest number of vehicles were registered at the Pune RTO (Regional Transport Office), followed by 1.26 lakh at Thane RTO and 1.19 lakh at Pimpri-Chinchwad RTO. Pune RTO saw a 3.23 per cent rise in registrations compared to 2.92 lakh in 2023, while Thane and Pimpri-Chinchwad recorded an increase of 12.62 per cent and 7.77 per cent, respectively. Maharashtra Transport Commissioner Vivek Bhimanwar told PTI that they have to frequently open new vehicle registration series at Pune RTO due to high registrations. "A
A total of 11 Naxalites, including senior cadre Vimla Chandra Sidam alias Tarakka, surrendered on Wednesday before Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis in Gadchiroli. These Maoists, carrying a collective bounty of Rs 1.03 crore, were involved in launching attacks on security personnel. Most prominent among the surrendered Maoists is Dandkaranya Zonal Committee Member Vimla Chandra Sidam alias Tarakka who had been involved in the Naxalism movement for the last 38 years. Fadnavis also felicitated C-60 commandos and officers for bravery in anti-Naxal operations. He said Maharashtra will soon become free of Naxal menace given the rise in the number of Maoists laying down their arms and the movement failing to attract recruits. "Gadchiroli Police almost eradicated Naxal activities in Gadchiroli district. North Gadchiroli is now free of Maoist activities, and south Gadchiroli will soon become free from Naxals," he said. The chief minister also said that many dreaded Naxals were
Maharashtra will soon draft its independent Artificial Intelligence (AI) policy to position the state as a major player in the sector and a leader in technological advancements, a minister has said. State Information and Technology Minister Ashish Shelar gave the direction to authorities during a meeting with IT Department officials at the Sahyadri Guest House on Tuesday. The meeting was attended by IT Department Secretary Parrag Jaiin Nainutia, MahaIT Managing Director Jayshree Bhoj, and senior officials from the departments concerned. During the meeting, Shelar stressed the importance of leveraging AI to boost industries, attract businesses, create employment opportunities, and establish Maharashtra as a major player in the AI sector, an official statement said. He said the AI era has begun and that the state must seize this opportunity. "By adopting AI, we can drive economic growth, generate jobs for the youth, and strengthen our position in the global AI landscape," he said.
Several people at a village in Maharashtra's Beed started a 'jal samadhi' agitation on Wednesday, demanding arrest of the absconding accused in the case of brutal murder of sarpanch Santosh Deshmukh. The protest comes a day after Maharashtra NCP minister Dhananjay Munde's close associate Walmik Karad, wanted in an extortion case linked to the sarpanch's murder, surrendered before police in Pune. He was subsequently remanded in 14-day police custody. The Crime Investigation Department (CID) is conducting the probe into the murder and extortion cases. Santosh Deshmukh, sarpanch of Massajog village in Kej tehsil of Beed district, was abducted last month and brutally killed on December 9, allegedly for opposing an extortion bid by some persons who had demanded money from a windmill company. Police have so far arrested three persons in connection with the murder case while three other accused are at large. Karad and one more person have been arrested in the extortion case. On Wednesday