The Congress on Sunday strongly deplored the reported arrest of two editors of vernacular newspapers in Manipur and demanded their immediate release, alleging a "double engine assault" by the Modi government and the Manipur dispensation on the state. In a statement, Congress' media and publicity department head Pawan Khera said that in yet another crackdown on press freedom, two editors from two language newspapers have been arrested by the Manipur government. On December 31, 2023, the BJP-controlled police arrested Wangkhemcha Shyamjai, the editor of vernacular daily Kangleipaki Meira, for allegedly publishing "provocative news", Khera said. On January 5, the Manipur Police also arrested Meitei language newspaper Hueiyen Lanpao's editor Dhanabir Maibam for "promoting enmity on the ground of religion and race", the Congress leader said. In a joint statement, the All-Manipur Journalists' Union, of which Shyamjai was a former chief, and the Editors Guild Manipur (EGM) condemned his .
Congress spokesperson Mahima Singh on Saturday said party leader Rahul Gandhi has chosen Manipur to launch the 'Bharat Jodo Nyay Yatra' due to his concern over the situation in that state. She also alleged that the BJP is not bothered about the problems faced by people, and it is only concentrating on headline management. "The BJP, wherever it is in power, is concerned with headline management and people's issues have been sidelined," Singh, also the in-charge of communication and media coordination in Assam for the yatra, told reporters here. "Look at Manipur, the situation remains volatile. Rahul Gandhi was among a handful of national leaders who went and spent time there. That is why he has chosen Manipur to start this yatra," she said. More than 180 people have been killed and several hundred injured due to the ethnic conflict between the Kuki and Meitei communities in Manipur since May last year. The Rahul Gandhi-led Manipur-to-Maharashtra yatra, which will begin on January 1
Chief Minister N Biren Singh Tuesday said that he is "highly upset" with the ongoing violence in Manipur and elements who engage in it will be held responsible for any stringent government action, including the reimposition of AFSPA. "Whatever is going on in the society now is too much. The government will find it really hard to tolerate if anyone or any group keeps on taking the law into their own hands. The central government will not keep on looking. If AFSPA is again reimposed, they will be held responsible," he said after visiting those injured in a firing incident at Lilong Chingjao area in Manipur's Thoubal district. "Elements who continuously engage in violence should be held accountable if the government takes any stringent action, including reimposition of the unwanted AFSPA ... I am highly upset (sic). The government cannot watch all these forever," he said. AFSPA was extended for six months in the hill areas of the north eastern state for six months since October last .
Priyanka Gandhi said that the Narendra Modi-led government must take concrete steps to bring stability in Manipur
The situation in minority-dominated Lilong Chingjao area in Manipur's Thoubal district, where four villagers were gunned down by unidentified assailants, remained calm but tense on Tuesday as additional security forces were deployed, an official said. The toll in the incident increased to four after one more person succumbed to injuries, while two other critically injured persons were undergoing treatment at the ICU of an Imphal-based hospital, he said. Unidentified gunmen in camouflage uniforms descended on Lilong Chingjao to "extort money" from a person on Monday night, leading to an altercation. While they were being chased away by locals, the gunmen opened indiscriminate fire leading to the casualties, he said. "After the incident, tension was high on Monday night but holding of an inter-faith meeting by civil society leaders and Lilong MLA Abdul Nasir and Chief Minister N Biren Singh's assurance that the culprits will be arrested and punished as per the law defused the ...
Three persons were allegedly shot dead and five others injured in Manipur's Thoubal district on Monday evening, following which curfew was reimposed in the five valley districts of the state, officials said. Gunmen, who are yet to be identified, arrived in camouflage dresses in the Lilong Chingjao area, and opened fire targeting locals, they said. While three people died on the spot, five others were injured. Those injured were admitted to a hospital, officials said. After the attack, the enraged locals set three four-wheelers on fire. It was not immediately clear to whom these cars belonged. Following the fresh violence, curfew was reimposed in Thoubal, Imphal East and Imphal West, Kakching and Bishnupur districts, officials said. In a video message, Chief Minister N Biren Singh condemned the violence, and appealed to the people, particularly the residents of Lilong, for maintaining peace. "Police are working to arrest those behind the attack. They will be arrested soon and puni
Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh has expressed concern over the attacks on state forces and said that a delegation will soon go to Delhi to meet central leaders and apprise them of the situation. Singh's statement came in the wake of five state police commandos injured in a attack at the border town of Moreh in Tengnoupal district on Saturday. They have been airlifted to Imphal and admitted to hospital. Taking to X, Singh said "The unprecedented attacks against the state forces in the recent times have become a serious national security threat. While the state and central security forces are actively engaged in maintaining control over the situation, it is also imperative for the combined security forces to adopt a robust and comprehensive approach to deal with these elements, who are relentlessly attempting to destabilise the state of Manipur." The CM held a meeting with BJP state president A Sharda Devi, ministers, MLAs and party leaders on Sunday and discussed the situation .
Tackling challenges like ethnic violence in Manipur and sporadic terror attacks in Jammu and Kashmir while taking landmark steps in overhauling the British-era criminal justice laws and signing peace pacts with insurgent outfits in the Northeast, the year 2023 was a mixed bag for the Ministry of Home Affairs. A long-delayed peace agreement with the pro-talks faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) at the fag-end of the year has given a firm indication that the Home Minister Amit Shah-led ministry is serious about resolving the problems that have affected the Northeast for decades and claimed many lives. A major crisis came to the fore on May 3 when ethnic violence erupted in Manipur after a 'Tribal Solidarity March' was organised in the hill districts of the Northeastern state to protest against the majority Meitei community's demand for Scheduled Tribe status. At least 180 people were killed in violence that continued for months. Shah visited the state for four ...
Heavy gunfire was reported between unidentified gunmen and police commandos in Manipur's Moreh around 3:50pm on Saturday, officials said. According to eyewitnesses, unidentified gunmen targeted vehicles carrying police commandos when they were moving towards Key Location Point (KLP) from Moreh. "One policeman sustained splinter injuries when they come under attack while crossing M Chahnou village section of Imphal-Moreh road," a police officer confirmed. The injured policeman is undergoing treatment at 5 Assam Rifles camp, the officer added. According to preliminary reports, indiscriminate firing was continuing near New Moreh entrance gate and M Chahnou village. Sources added that two houses were also set ablaze in Moreh.
The exact virus variant remains undetermined, as samples have been sent for genome sequencing to ascertain more details
The Bharat Nyay Yatra will cover the eastern to western stretch of the country, beginning from Manipur in the Northeast and concluding in Mumbai in Maharashtra
Manipur made headlines for much of 2023 as it witnessed one of the worst ethnic conflicts between the Kuki and Meitei communities, resulting in over 200 deaths and leaving nearly 60,000 people homeless. Though violence broke out on May 3, tension had been building in the hill districts of Churachandpur and Kangpokpi since February due to the state government's efforts to remove encroachers from reserved forest areas. In late February, the state government demolished few Kuki houses in Churachandpur district for encroaching on reserved forest land, triggering condemnation by Kuki-Zo community members. Clashes broke out between demonstrators and police in Kangpokpi district in March when they tried to hold a rally against "encroachment of tribal land in the name of reserved forests, protected forests and wildlife sanctuary. Following the clashes, the state cabinet withdrew from the tripartite Suspension of Operations (SoO) talks with two Kuki-based outfits Kuki National Army and Zom
Christmas was celebrated in Manipur with Christians attending special prayer services and mass feasts on Monday. Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh greeted the people of the state on the auspicious occasion of Christmas. "Let the spirit of Christmas illuminate our lives with love, compassion, and joy", he said in a post in X, adding that "May this Christmas fill our hearts with hope and inspire us to create a better future for all". Pastor Rev Khayaipam of Tangkhul Baptist Church in Imphal said "There will be community celebrations but we have encouraged and requested our members not to indulge in lavish spending and grand feasting. Rather, we have requested them to use the resources to help those who are marginalised in the current crisis and those in need". All Manipur Christian organisations had recently appealed to all Christians in the state to celebrate the festival in low-key in the spirit of forgiveness, peace, love and unity. G Guite, a member of the Baptist Church in .
Based on inputs about the presence of arms in the general area of Kouburu Ridge, in the Noney district, a joint team of Assam Rifles and Manipur Police launched a joint search operation on Dec 23
The Manipur government has imposed prohibitory orders under Section 144 of the CrPC for two months in Churachandpur district following fresh violence, according to an official order. Various parts of the northeastern state have been rocked by ethnic strife since May this year. Incidents of sporadic violence were reported from several places in Churachandpur district, especially in Thingkangphai village, on Monday. "There are still chances of breach of peace due to the confrontation between the two groups of people and the situation is still tense," the district magistrate said in an order. The prohibitory orders prohibiting gathering of five or more people and carrying arms were imposed on Monday and it would be in force till February 18, 2024. All efforts have been made by law enforcement agencies to maintain peace in the affected areas, District Magistrate Dharun Kumar S said. More than 180 people were killed since the violence erupted on May 3 after a Tribal Solidarity March'
Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh on Monday blamed drug mafia and illegal immigrants for the ethnic strife that has rocked the northeastern state for months. Singh also attributed the current crisis to the failure of the previous government in guarding the state's borders. Nearly 200 people have died and over 60,000 were rendered homeless due to the ethnic conflict between the Kuki and Meitei communities since May. The present conflict is engineered by drug mafia groups and illegal immigrants who have suppressed the voice of the original tribes. The war is not between Meiteis and Kukis, but between the government and the illegal immigrants, Singh told a gathering at Lilong in Thoubal district. "Everyday, I keep contact and communicate with my old Kuki friends through phone. They are helpless and unable to speak the truth as they are being intimidated by guns, the CM said. Singh said "more than 6,000 immigrants have entered Kamjong district from Myanmar due to fighting between t
Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh on Saturday said that shelter cannot be denied to those seeking it on humanitarian grounds, but foreigners cannot be allowed to sneak into the state and set up illegal villages. The administration needs to collect biometric details of those who have taken refuge in Kamjong district after fleeing from Myanmar, Singh said. Around 2060 people from Myanmar have reached five places in the border district of Kamjong after fresh violence erupted between the army and alleged militants in the neighbouring country in November, an official said. "We cannot deny shelter on humanitarian grounds. The only thing is to have their biometric details taken and provide shelter to them temporarily. What we have been telling them is not to sneak into Manipur and set up illegal villages, the chief minister said. Singh was addressing the Vijay Diwas programme marking the Indian army's victory over Pakistan on this day in 1971. "We are providing food, medicines and ten
Eight months after they were killed in ethnic violence in Manipur, the remains of 19 people belonging to the Kuki Zo community were laid to rest in the state's Kangpokpi district on Friday. Friends and relatives of the deceased attended the mass burial organised by the Committee on Tribal Unity (COTU) at Phaijang village. Bodies of 87 other members of the tribal community will be buried on December 20 in Churachandpur district, convenor of the Joint Philanthropic Organisations( JPO) Laldawnlian Varte said. Remains of the 19 victims had been lying in morgues for almost eight months in Imphal. They were finally given an "honourable" burial, the organisers said. Many houses in the Kuki majority district hoisted black flags as markets and business establishments were closed and public transport was off the roads following a 12-hour shutdown called by the COTU to mark it as mourning day. On Thursday, 60 bodies were airlifted to Churachandpur and Kangpokpi districts after being shifted
The Supreme Court on Friday directed the Manipur government to apprise the apex court-appointed committee of the steps taken to secure places of public worship in the state where ethnic clashes have claimed more than 170 lives since May. A bench headed by Chief Justice D Y Chandrachud, while considering the issue of restoration of places of worship, said the state government shall furnish within two weeks to the panel a comprehensive list after identifying religious structures damaged during the strife. The bench, also comprising Justices J B Pardiwala and Manoj Misra, clarified the identification of such structures shall cover all religious faiths and denominations. "The government of Manipur shall apprise the committee of the steps which have been taken to secure the places of public worship," it said. The apex court also asked the committee to prepare a comprehensive proposal detailing the way forward, including with regard to restoration of places of public worship damaged or .
Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh has asked his Mizoram counterpart Lalduhoma not to interfere in the internal affairs of the state. Singh said while neighbouring states can extend their support to resolve the ethnic strife in Manipur, he requested the Mizoram chief minister to refrain from commenting on the internal matters of another state. Talking to reporters on the sidelines of a programme here on Tuesday, Singh said, "I have seen one comment from the newly appointed CM of Mizoram that the state police should not harrass his people at Moreh. I think it is little beyond his constitutional rights. It is an internal matter of Manipur government." Moreh is a border town located on the IndiaMyanmar border in Tengnoupal district of Manipur. Earlier, addressing a gathering, Singh said, "I had communicated about the ethnic violence in our state with Assam Chief Minister Himanta Sarma and Nagaland CM Neiphiu Rio and they had offered their support to resolve the issue and restore ...