Senior IAS officer Gaurav Dwivedi was on Monday appointed the Chief Executive Officer of public broadcaster Prasar Bharati. A 1995-batch officer of Chhattisgarh cadre, Dwivedi will have a five-year tenure from the date he assumes charge. Earlier, Dwivedi was the Chief Executive Officer of MyGovIndia, the citizen engagement platform of the government. Shashi Shekhar Vempati was the CEO of Prasar Bharati from 2017 to 2022. After Vempati completed his five-year tenure, Director General of Doordarshan Mayank Agrawal was given the additional charge of CEO Prasar Bharati in June this year.
The Centre has issued an advisory asking Union ministries, state governments and union territory administrations not to enter into any broadcasting or distribution of broadcasting activities directly. In the advisory, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting asked those broadcasting their content to route it through Prasar Bharati. It also asked entities distributing the broadcasting content to "extract themselves" from it by December 31, 2023. The advisory is likely to impact Kalvi TV, an educational channel launched by the Tamil Nadu government which is available on some DTH platforms, and IPTV, launched by the Andhra Pradesh government. "No Ministry/Department of the Central Government and State/UT Governments and entities related to them shall enter into broadcasting/distribution of broadcasting activities in future," said the advisory issued on Friday. "ln case Ministries of Central Government, State/UT Government and entities related to them are already broadcasting their
Content for DD Kids will come from broadcaster's library and partnerships with animation studios and production houses: sources
The MoU aims at exchange of programmes, exploring co-production of programmes and training and exchange of personnel
The announcement came shortly after the Indian government decided that its envoy will not attend the opening or closing ceremony of the 2022 Winter Olympics
Former chief executive of Prasar Bharati and TMC leader Jawhar Sircar on Wednesday took oath as a member of Rajya Sabha. He was elected unopposed to the Upper House of Parliament earlier this week. Sircar took oath in Bengali and was greeted by thumping of desk by fellow MPs. He signed the members' register and then greeted Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu with folded hands. Naidu too responded to his greetings. Sircar also greeted other leaders in the House. He was elected to Rajya Sabha on a seat left vacant after TMC MP Dinesh Trivedi joined the BJP before the recent West Bengal assembly elections. Sircar, who was nominated to the Upper House by TMC, spent nearly 42 years in public service and is known as a vocal critic of the BJP government at the Centre.
Prasar Bharati has invited expression of interest towards consultancy service for providing a detailed project report on establishment of an international channel
The UK has BBC World, France has France 24 and TV5 Monde Asie, Germany has DW TV, China has multilingual global CCTV, CGTN and CNC World, Russia has Russia Today in English and Spanish, Japan has NHK-
Digital channels of Prasar Bharati have registered more than 100 per cent growth in 2020, with Pakistan being the second highest digital audience for Doordarshan (DD) and All India Radio (AIR)
Prasar Bharati has ended its subscription of news agency Press Trust of India and will now invite fresh proposals from other domestic news agencies, sources said
In a highly-anticipated event, PM Modi on Wednesday laid the foundation of the Ram temple in Ayodhya
Urban Affairs Ministry's department warns PTI may have to pay an additional 10 per cent interest if it fails to furnish the amount within deadline.
A crucial pillar of the Indian republic should not be weakened
Sources say a "strong letter" is being sent to PTI just ahead of its Board meeting on Saturday where the public broadcaster expressed "deep displeasure on anti national reporting by PTI"
Ramayan's four episodes a day format was based on the assumption of a 15-day lockdown
Google will also work towards digitising content from over two decades from All India Radio and Doordarshan on Google Arts and Culture and host digital archives of Prasar Bharti in over 12 languages
Prasar Bharati CEO S S Vempati tonight clarified that Rs 208 crore released by the public broadcaster towards staff salaries on February 28, 2018 were from its reserves. Earlier in the day, he had tweeted: "Noticed reports in sections of media on non-disbursal of salaries to DD & AIR staff. Rs 208 cr towards salaries were released on the 28th Feb 2018. Attempts to create panic malafide. PB (Prasar Bharati) has so far received Rs 1989 crores from MIB (Ministry of Information and Broadcasting) as grants-in-aid for salaries during FY2017-18." The tweet had not mentioned that the money towards salaries was released from the Prasar Bharati's reserves. But hours later, he put out another tweet which read: "Rs 208 crores were released by @prasarbharati towards salaries for on 28th February 2018 from IEBR reserves." Vempati's remarks came two days after news website 'The Wire' quoted Prasar Bharati Chairman A Surya Prakash as saying that the public broadcaster had to pay staff salary for .
No point in spending public money if it cannot run independently
Board said ministry has been pressurising them to hire the two journalists but problem is compensation they have asked for in the range of Rs 750,000 to 10 mn
Government wants to make exception to rules to appoint a bureaucrat for one term