Economic recovery will remain feeble till the pandemic is convincingly controlled
An 81-year-old pensioner in the UK who made history when he became the first man in the world to have the COVID-19 vaccination has died of an unrelated illness, the British media reported on Tuesday. William Shakespeare hit global headlines on December 8 last year when he became the first man to have the jab to fight against the coronavirus at the University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire. Shakespeare received his first Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine at the same hospital shortly after 91-year-old Margaret Keenan, who became the world's first person to get the jab. Coventry councillor Jayne Innes, a friend of Shakespeare, said he had died on Thursday (May 20) and added the "best tribute to Bill is to have the jab". Bill, as he was fondly known, passed away after a period of illness at the same hospital where he famously received his vaccine, CoventryLive reported. Shakespeare had worked at Rolls Royce and was a parish councillor. Shakespeare had served his local community in Allesley
GST fitment panel has recommended a short-term rate cut on four Covid-19 related items
In a significant landmark, the cumulative COVID-19 vaccine doses administered in the country has crossed 20 crore, the Union health ministry said on Tuesday.
More than 1.77 crore doses of anti-coronavirus vaccines are still available with the states and Union Territories, while seven lakh doses are in the pipeline, Union Health Ministry said
Delhi is yet to receive more vaccines for the 18-44 age group and only private hospitals are giving jabs to beneficiaries in this category for now, Aam Aadmi Party MLA Atishi said on Tuesday
Here are the best of Business Standard's opinion pieces for Tuesday
Well, never underestimate this country and how badly or well something may be managed unless you experience it for yourself
The fourth part of the series looks at the Covid situation in parts of Maharashtra's rural Thane district
Private centres have to continue publishing their vaccination schedule in advance for online appointments
Union govt in direct talks with firms but order book full for now
The World Health Organisation (WHO) said more information is required from Bharat Biotech, which is seeking emergency use listing (EUL) for its Covaxin vaccine for COVID-19. The latest Status of COVID-19 Vaccines within WHO EUL/PQ evaluation process' guidance document dated May 18 on the WHO website said Bharat Biotech submitted EOI (Expression of Interest) on April 19 and that More information required. A pre-submission meeting is expected to be planned May-June 2021, the guidance document said. According to the WHO, submissions to it for prequalification or listing under the emergency use procedure are confidential. If a product submitted for assessment is found to meet the criteria for listing, WHO will publish the results widely. Duration of the emergency use listing process depends on the quality of the data submitted by the vaccine manufacturer and on those data meeting WHO criteria, according to the agency. Meanwhile, Bharat Biotech International Limited (BBIL) has conveyed
A sustained publicity campaign is urgently needed
French President Emmanuel Macron called for the WHO to be empowered to visit countries rapidly in case of outbreaks with potential to spark a pandemic
Here are the best of Business Standard's opinion pieces for Monday
The third part of the series looks at the state of vaccination in parts of rural Bengal
There were 'relatively few' cases and they may be entirely unrelated to the jab
The big lesson of the second wave is that India must stop trying to prioritise economic recovery over emergence from the pandemic - any such effort is destined to fail
Covid-19 vaccination for persons between 18-45 years began from May 1 throughout the nation and is being funded by state governments
Around 64,000 people received Covid-19 vaccine jabs in Delhi on May 22, AAP MLA Atishi said on Sunday