Videocon's Digiworld to exceed Next store count this year

Digiworld, the Videocon Group-promoted chain, plans to increase the number of its stores this year to more than those operated by Next Retail. Currently, Next Retail, another chain, has about 600 stores across the country, while has about 428 stores.

This year, plans to increase the number of its stores to about 700.

Jaideep Rathore, chief operating officer, Digiworld, told Business Standard the company planned to have 1,000 stores by mid-2013. While he refused to elaborate on the difference in strategies between the two brands promoted by the Videocon Group, he said had a mandate of selling at least 50 per cent of brands (including Sansui, Kelvinator, and Videocon) in its stores.

Launched in 2009 and re-invented in 2011, earlier sold about 90 per cent of products in its outlets.

Currently, Videocon is rebranding with a new logo. However, as of now, it is unlikely to expand Next Retail. It is learnt the Rs 1,500-crore Next is trying to record better margins, not add stores.

In fact, Videocon Industries Chairman and Managing Director Venugopal Dhoot had recently said the group was in talks with several foreign parties to sell 40 per cent in Next Retail.

He had also indicated a deal was likely before Diwali.

Meanwhile, the Rs 700-crore chain is eyeing a turnover of Rs 1,200 crore by the end of this financial year.

The chain has a mix of consumer durables and information technology (IT) & telecom products. While in category ‘A’ cities, consumer durables account for 80 per cent of its sales, with IT/telecom accounting for the remaining 20 per cent, the proportion is more tilted towards durables in smaller towns.

For the overall industry, consumer durables account for 60 per cent of sales, while IT/telecom accounts for 40 per cent in the metros.

Videocon is focused on neighbourhood stores spread over 2,000-4,000 sq ft for Digiworld. It plans to add 40-45 stores a month and is targeting revenue of Rs 2,000 crore in the next financial year.

image
Business Standard
177 22
Business Standard

Videocon's Digiworld to exceed Next store count this year

BS Reporter  |  New Delhi 

Digiworld, the Videocon Group-promoted chain, plans to increase the number of its stores this year to more than those operated by Next Retail. Currently, Next Retail, another chain, has about 600 stores across the country, while has about 428 stores.

This year, plans to increase the number of its stores to about 700.

Jaideep Rathore, chief operating officer, Digiworld, told Business Standard the company planned to have 1,000 stores by mid-2013. While he refused to elaborate on the difference in strategies between the two brands promoted by the Videocon Group, he said had a mandate of selling at least 50 per cent of brands (including Sansui, Kelvinator, and Videocon) in its stores.

Launched in 2009 and re-invented in 2011, earlier sold about 90 per cent of products in its outlets.

Currently, Videocon is rebranding with a new logo. However, as of now, it is unlikely to expand Next Retail. It is learnt the Rs 1,500-crore Next is trying to record better margins, not add stores.

In fact, Videocon Industries Chairman and Managing Director Venugopal Dhoot had recently said the group was in talks with several foreign parties to sell 40 per cent in Next Retail.

He had also indicated a deal was likely before Diwali.

Meanwhile, the Rs 700-crore chain is eyeing a turnover of Rs 1,200 crore by the end of this financial year.

The chain has a mix of consumer durables and information technology (IT) & telecom products. While in category ‘A’ cities, consumer durables account for 80 per cent of its sales, with IT/telecom accounting for the remaining 20 per cent, the proportion is more tilted towards durables in smaller towns.

For the overall industry, consumer durables account for 60 per cent of sales, while IT/telecom accounts for 40 per cent in the metros.

Videocon is focused on neighbourhood stores spread over 2,000-4,000 sq ft for Digiworld. It plans to add 40-45 stores a month and is targeting revenue of Rs 2,000 crore in the next financial year.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Videocon's Digiworld to exceed Next store count this year

Digiworld, the Videocon Group-promoted retail chain, plans to increase the number of its stores this year to more than those operated by Next Retail. Currently, Next Retail, another Videocon Group retail chain, has about 600 stores across the country, while Digiworld has about 428 stores.

Digiworld, the Videocon Group-promoted chain, plans to increase the number of its stores this year to more than those operated by Next Retail. Currently, Next Retail, another chain, has about 600 stores across the country, while has about 428 stores.

This year, plans to increase the number of its stores to about 700.

Jaideep Rathore, chief operating officer, Digiworld, told Business Standard the company planned to have 1,000 stores by mid-2013. While he refused to elaborate on the difference in strategies between the two brands promoted by the Videocon Group, he said had a mandate of selling at least 50 per cent of brands (including Sansui, Kelvinator, and Videocon) in its stores.

Launched in 2009 and re-invented in 2011, earlier sold about 90 per cent of products in its outlets.

Currently, Videocon is rebranding with a new logo. However, as of now, it is unlikely to expand Next Retail. It is learnt the Rs 1,500-crore Next is trying to record better margins, not add stores.

In fact, Videocon Industries Chairman and Managing Director Venugopal Dhoot had recently said the group was in talks with several foreign parties to sell 40 per cent in Next Retail.

He had also indicated a deal was likely before Diwali.

Meanwhile, the Rs 700-crore chain is eyeing a turnover of Rs 1,200 crore by the end of this financial year.

The chain has a mix of consumer durables and information technology (IT) & telecom products. While in category ‘A’ cities, consumer durables account for 80 per cent of its sales, with IT/telecom accounting for the remaining 20 per cent, the proportion is more tilted towards durables in smaller towns.

For the overall industry, consumer durables account for 60 per cent of sales, while IT/telecom accounts for 40 per cent in the metros.

Videocon is focused on neighbourhood stores spread over 2,000-4,000 sq ft for Digiworld. It plans to add 40-45 stores a month and is targeting revenue of Rs 2,000 crore in the next financial year.

image
Business Standard
177 22

Upgrade To Premium Services

Welcome User

Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"

As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:

  • Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
  • Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
  • Access to 17 plus years of content archives
  • Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
  • End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
  • NEW: Get seamless access to WSJ.com at a great price. No additional sign-up required.
 

Premium Services

In Partnership with

 

Dear Guest,

 

Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.

Enjoy Reading!
Team Business Standard