You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Air Odisha to add Bhavnagar, Surat in network from tomorrow

Press Trust of India  |  Mumbai 

Air Odisha, which launched its to Mundra, and Diu from Ahmedabad recently under the Central government's regional connectivity scheme Udan, has said it will expand operations to two new destinations from tomorrow.

will connect and with the capital city Ahmedabad, starting from April 16, a release said.

The announcement comes weeks after the Airports Authority of (AAI), which is the implementing agency for scheme, serving a notice to and to commence services on all the routes bagged by them in the first round of bidding within a month time.

The Bhubaneswar-based scheduled commuter is 60 per cent owned by two Ahmedabad firms- State Export Corporation Limited (GSEC) and Monarch Netwroth Capital, while the rest 40 per cent stake are with the original promoter, the Pani family.

The also announced fares starting as low as Rs 1,420 for the Ahmedabad-flight and Rs 1,699 for a one-way trip to from

"We are proud to launch two more new routes in within two months since the launch of our operations," Air Odisha and GSEC Shaishav Shah said on the proposed new routes launch.

"We take pride in becoming a part of the Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik (Udan) scheme, which is a great initiative of Prime Minister with a vision to make flying more affordable for the common man and also fuel economic growth," he said.

Air Odisha, along with its strategic Air Deccan, won 84 routes together under the scheme, in which air fares have been capped at Rs 2,500 for a one-hour journey.

Of these, bagged 50, while the rest were awarded to

A total of 128 routes connecting 70 airports were awarded to five airlines in the first phase of bidding for flights under the scheme in March 2017.

"The profile of domestic routes is changing very fast. At the same time, the traffic growth rate for the top 10 routes has slowed down over the past 12 months as they have become more congested and large airports find it harder to take the strain.

"Most of the capacity growth is coming in from non-metro routes, driven by the lower fares offered by the low cost airlines. I believe Air Odisha will achieve its goal of flying to smaller cities and towns in the country," of G R Gopinath said.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sun, April 15 2018. 16:20 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU