)
Rosneft, Lukoil major suppliers to India; crude import bill may rise by over ₹23K cr
Indian-American author and security expert Paul Kapur has been officially sworn in as the new Assistant Secretary for the Bureau of South and Central Asian Affairs at the US Department of State. His sworn in was announced by the Bureau in a social media post on late Wednesday night. "Welcome to @State_SCA, Assistant Secretary Paul Kapur! This morning Dr. Kapur was officially sworn in as the Assistant Secretary for the Bureau of South and Central Asian Affairs," it said. As Assistant Secretary, Kapur will oversee America's diplomatic engagement and strategic partnerships in India, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Maldives, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan. He succeeds Donald Lu, who served in the post since 2021. Kapur was born in New Delhi to an Indian father and an American mother. He served as a professor in the Department of National Security Affairs at the US Naval Postgraduate School. He is a visiting fellow at Stanf
As US Vice President JD Vance's visit to Israel comes to a close, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said he would be travelling to the country to keep the momentum on the US-brokered ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas. Earlier this week, Vance announced the opening of a civilian military coordination centre in southern Israel where some 200 US troops are working alongside the Israeli military and delegations from other countries planning the stabilisation and reconstruction of Gaza. Rubio told journalists at Joint Base Andrews late Wednesday that he plans to visit the centre and appoint a Foreign Service official to work alongside the top US military commander in the Middle East, Vice Adm Brad Cooper. The US is seeking support from other allies, especially Gulf nations, to create an international stabilisation force to be deployed to Gaza and train a Palestinian force. We'd like to see Palestinian police forces in Gaza that are not Hamas and that are going to do a good jo
With Prime Minister Narendra Modi unlikely to travel to Malaysia for the ASEAN summit, the Congress on Thursday claimed that the reason for his not going was that the PM doesn't want to be cornered by US President Donald Trump. Congress general secretary in-charge communications Jairam Ramesh said posting messages in praise of President Trump on social media is one thing, but to be seen hobnobbing physically with the man who has claimed 53 times that he stopped Operation Sindoor and has claimed five times that India has promised to stop buying oil from Russia is far too risky for him. "For days the speculation has been - will He or won't He? Will Mr. Modi go to Kuala Lumpur for the Summit or not?" Ramesh said on X. "Now it appears certain that the PM will not go. It means the loss of so many opportunities to hug and get photo ops with world leaders or to flaunt himself as the self-styled Vishwaguru," the Congress leader said. "The reason why Mr. Modi is not going is simple. He jus
Prime Minister Mark Carney set a goal for Canada to double its non-US exports in the next decade, saying American tariffs are causing a chill in investment. Carney, who will release his government's budget on Nov 4, said Wednesday many of Canada's former strengths based on close ties to America have become vulnerabilities. The jobs of workers in our industries most affected by US tariffs autos, steel, lumber are under threat. Our businesses are holding back investments, restrained by the pall of uncertainty that is hanging over all of us, Carney said. US President Donald Trump has been threatening Canada's economy and sovereignty with tariffs, most offensively by claiming Canada could be the 51st state. Carney reiterated in an evening address to Canadians that the decades-long process of an ever-closer economic relationship between the Canadian and US economies is now over. "The US has fundamentally changed its approach to trade, raising its tariffs to levels last seen during
Pune, India-based Tata Technologies does not disclose country-specific revenue or employee count, but North America accounted for roughly a fifth of its ₹5,168 crore revenue in 2024-25
President Donald Trump on Wednesday said he is approving USD 25 million in disaster aid for Alaska after back-to-back storms including the remnants of a typhoon ravaged coastal villages, displaced about 2,000 people and led to one of the most significant evacuation airlifts in state history. Trump said on social media that he informed Republican Gov. Mike Dunleavy he was approving the money to help recovery efforts. Last Thursday, Dunleavy sought an expedited major disaster declaration connected to the storm impacts from earlier this month. On Wednesday, his office said Trump's declaration clears the way for federal aid for related to recovery and reconstruction, unemployment assistance and disaster loans for small businesses. While damage assessments are still being tallied, two of the hardest-hit communities were the low-lying Yup'ik villages of Kipnuk and Kwigillingok, which were devastated by record high water levels amid the storm surge from the remnants of Typhoon Halong. Th
The Wall Street Journal reported that the Trump administration had removed a key restriction on Ukraine's use of certain long-range missiles supplied by Western allies
US President Donald Trump said India will sharply reduce Russian oil imports by the end of the year, following new US sanctions on Moscow's major oil firms
The Congress members warned that the move could especially harm small and early-stage companies that depend on global talent to grow
As part of the accord, the university agreed to provide the government with data on its admissions and hiring processes, as well as campus programming, through 2028
Trump unveiled his ballroom plans over the summer, after long complaining about wanting a larger room for entertaining at the White House
US President Trump and PM Modi discuss trade, India's Russian oil imports, and regional issues in Diwali call; PM reiterates India-US partnership and anti-terror stance
Russian President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday directed drills of the country's strategic nuclear forces that featured practice missile launches, an exercise that came as his planned summit on Ukraine with US President Donald Trump was put on hold. The Kremlin said that as part of the maneuvers involving all parts of Moscow's nuclear triad, a Yars intercontinental ballistic missile was test-fired from the Plesetsk launch facility in northwestern Russia, and a Sineva ICBM was launched by a submarine in the Barents Sea. The drills also involved Tu-95 strategic bombers firing long-range cruise missiles. The exercise tested the skills of military command structures, the Kremlin said in a statement. The chief of the military's General Staff, Gen. Valery Gerasimov, reported to Putin via video link that the drills were intended to simulate procedures for authorizing the use of nuclear weapons. While Putin emphasised that the maneuvers had been planned in advance, they came hours after ...
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy supports Trump's idea to freeze current war lines, but doubts Russian President Vladimir Putin will agree
Japan's new foreign minister said Wednesday his country plans to show its determination to further build up its defence to rapidly adapt to changing warfare realities and growing tension in the region when US President Donald Trump visits Tokyo next week. Trump is expected to hold talks next Tuesday with Japan's Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi, who took office Tuesday after being elected as Japan's first female leader. Takaichi, who had spent much of past few weeks embroiled in internal political wrangling, has to face major diplomatic tests within days of taking office Trump and two regional summits. We are firmly preparing for President Trump's visit, Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi said. Motegi said he hoped Trump's first meeting with Takaichi during his Oct 27-29 visit would serve as an opportunity for the two leaders to discuss further strengthening of the Japan-US alliance while fostering their personal relationship of trust. He said Japan also hopes to further cooperate w
US President Donald Trump expressed frustration after being 'ranked the third-best president' behind George Washington and Abraham Lincoln
This will mark Trump's first trip to Japan in nearly six years. Takaichi, who secured the ruling Liberal Democratic Party's presidential election on October 4, became Japan's first woman PM
The driver was arrested immediately, and the police and US Secret Service officers checked the car, confirming it was safe
President Donald Trump has nominated Lt Gen Christopher LaNeve to serve as the Army's second-highest-ranking officer, according to congressional records. Gen James Mingus is currently vice chief of staff and has not publicly said he plans to step aside. He has been in the job less than two years, and it is typically a tenure that lasts at least three years. The move, which was posted in congressional records on Monday, is the latest in a series of surprise and unexplained firings, reassignments and promotions that have been transforming the senior ranks of the military under Trump and Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth. Officials in the Army and Hegseth's office would not offer any details on Mingus' apparent ouster and the effort to promote LaNeve, who is now Hegseth's top military aide. Maj Peter Sulzona, a spokesman for Mingus, told The Associated Press by email that he would not comment on pending nominations but that Mingus will continue to execute the duties and responsibilities