)
US President Donald Trump's threats to deploy National Guard troops to Chicago sent ripples through America's third-largest city as many residents defended their home against Trump's escalating rhetoric toward its violent crime, including claims it is a killing field. The threat of federal troops stirred a mix of fear, frustration and defiance for residents as they pointed to historic drops in violent crime. Groups constantly pressing for police reform said sending troops who lack training in de-escalating violence or any knowledge about the nuances of neighborhoods still grappling with violent crime would undo progress made in recent years. The sentiment was echoed by people going about their day commuters heading to work, cyclists weaving through traffic, and friends pausing to take photos along Michigan Avenue who said the presence of troops would only heighten tensions, not ease them. It's a direct affront to the progress our communities have made, said Bradly Johnson, who lea
JB Pritzker took a water taxi along the Chicago Riverwalk, past one of Donald Trump's famous downtown towers. The gleaming and heavily trafficked tourist district was a deliberate backdrop on the day the Illinois governor directed a defiant message toward the White House: Mr. President, do not come to Chicago. You are neither wanted here nor needed here. The governor's protests, however, may not matter. After Trump's National Guard deployments to Los Angeles in June and Washington, D.C. this month, the Republican says his next targets for federal intervention may be two of the nation's most Democratic cities: Chicago and Baltimore. Trump's possible move targeting states whose governors are among potential White House contenders in 2028 would be another escalation of presidential power, directly challenging the rights of states and cities to govern themselves. It also would intensify a partisan scramble for voters' trust on matters of public safety. For Trump, militarizing US stree
Tech giants navigate evolving trade tensions as India maintains commitment to a balanced regulatory approach
Can the safeguard duty on steel be more than a safety net, and is it enough when other countries are also stepping up to protect their interests?
Latest news updates: Catch all the news developments here
At a separate White House event earlier on Monday, Trump said he had raised the issue with Russian President Vladimir Putin. He did not share specific details on when the conversation took place
The decision signals a potential thaw between Beijing and Washington after escalating tariffs and restrictions on Chinese students
Indian stock markets tumbled on August 26, 2025, as US tariff threats, weak rupee, and heavy FPI selling dragged Sensex 689 points and Nifty near 24,750 intraday
US President Donald Trump issued an executive order scrapping the trade exemption known as 'de minimis', which had permitted goods valued at up to $800 to enter the US without duty
Trump has long argued that digital services taxes discriminate against US tech giants such as Amazon.com Inc., Google owner Alphabet Inc. and Facebook parent Meta Platforms Inc
Asian shares fell across the board Tuesday, taking their cue from a broad decline on Wall Street that reversed some of the big gains notched last week on hopes for interest rate cuts from the Federal Reserve. Japan's benchmark Nikkei 225 dove 1.1 per cent in morning trading to 42,342.28. Australia's S&P/ASX 200 declined 0.3 per cent to 8,949.40. South Korea's Kospi lost 0.8 per cent to 3,184.70 after data showed improved consumer sentiment, strengthening expectations that the central bank won't move on interest rates. Hong Kong's Hang Seng shed 0.2 per cent to 25,766.68, while the Shanghai Composite slipped 0.1 per cent to 3,878.24. On Wall Street, the S&P 500 fell 0.4 per cent Monday, but remains near its all-time high. The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed 0.8 per cent lower after setting a record high on Friday. The Nasdaq composite closed 0.2 per cent lower. Selling was widespread, with health care stocks among the biggest drags on the market. Pfizer fell 2.9 per cent ...
Paris' summoning of US Ambassador to France Charles Kushner, following his allegations that the country had not done enough to combat antisemitism, indicates its formal displeasure with the diplomat. But Kushner the father of Jared Kushner, son-in-law to President Donald Trump did not respond to a summons Monday and sent his No. 2 instead, according to a French diplomatic official. Charles Kushner was summoned after writing a letter to French President Emmanuel Macron alleging the country did not do enough to combat antisemitism. The foreign ministry called his allegations "unacceptable." French-US relations have faced tensions this year amid Trump's trade war and a split over the future of UN peacekeepers in Lebanon. France and the U.S. also have been divided on support for Ukraine in its war with Russia, but the split has eased with Trump expressing support for security guarantees and a warm meeting with Macron and other European leaders at the White House last week. Here's wha
Trump said that his decision is dependent on what happens in the next two weeks and pushed for a meeting between Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Ukrainian counterpart Zelenskyy
President Donald Trump took to social media before meeting with South Korean President Lee Jae Myung on Monday to threaten not to do business with Seoul because of a Purge or Revolution that he claimed was taking place in the country. But any prospect of a hostile Oval Office meeting evaporated after Lee heaped praise onto the US president lauding the decor, beseeching Trump to continue to help with Korean peace efforts and even suggesting a Trump Tower in North Korea. We've known each other and gotten along very well, Trump said. After running down the agenda for the summit, Trump added: It's a great honour to be with you and congratulations on your election. That was a big one, and we're with you 100 per cent. The cordial display showed how world leaders are taking notes from previous meetings between Trump and heads of state, who've largely chosen the route of praise and adulation rather than confrontation as they seek favourable trade terms and continued military aid from ...
The Trump administration has issued a 50% tariff notice to India over Russian oil imports, tying it to a broader diplomatic push for ending the war in Ukraine
US President Donald Trump stresses desire for 'great relationship' with Beijing despite escalating tensions over tariffs and resources
Since Trump's January inauguration, Kim has ignored Trump's repeated calls to revive the direct diplomacy he pursued during his 2017-2021 term in office
Trump reiterated his claim of halting a possible nuclear war between India and Pakistan, saying seven fighter jets were shot down before his intervention ended hostilities
Brent crude futures fell 16 cents, or 0.23 per cent, to $68.64 per barrel at 0005 GMT, while West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude futures also lost 16 cents, or 0.25 per cent, to $64.64
President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Monday threatening to withhold or revoke federal funding to local and state governments that offer cashless bail, arguing that it is a threat to public safety. No cash. Come back in a couple of months, we'll give you a trial. You never see the person again," he said, moments before signing the order. Attorney General Pam Bondi must submit a list of jurisdictions that have substantially eliminated cash bail as a potential condition of pretrial release from custody for crimes that pose a clear threat to public safety and order within 30 days, as stipulated in the order. Proponents of eliminating cash bail describe it as a penalty on poverty, suggesting that the wealthy can pay their way out of jail to await trial while those with fewer financial resources have to sit it out behind bars. Critics of the cashless route have argued that bail is a time-honoured way to ensure defendants released from jail show up for court proceedings. The