Sunday, February 22, 2026 | 01:48 AM ISTहिंदी में पढें
Business Standard
Notification Icon
userprofile IconSearch

Page 4 - Us Iran Tensions

Turkey seeks to broker talks between US-Iran to avert military escalation

Turkey is attempting to bring US and Iranian officials to the negotiating table in hopes of easing the threat of US military action against Iran. Neither the US nor Iran has confirmed whether they plan to take part in any negotiations. Two Turkish officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media, said Turkey is trying to organize a meeting between US special envoy Steve Witkoff and Iranian leaders. The meeting could take place as soon as the end of the week, one of the officials said. The US military has moved the USS Abraham Lincoln and several guided-missile destroyers into the Middle East, but it remains unclear whether US President Donald Trump would decide to use force against the Iranian government, as he has suggested he might do in retribution for their devastating crackdown on last month's protests and as he presses for a deal on Iran's nuclear program. "We have talks going on with Iran, we'll see how it all works out

Turkey seeks to broker talks between US-Iran to avert military escalation
Updated On : 03 Feb 2026 | 7:12 AM IST

Turkey seeks to broker talks between US-Iran to avert military escalation

Turkey is attempting to bring US and Iranian officials to the negotiating table in hopes of easing the threat of US military action against Iran. Neither the US nor Iran has confirmed whether they plan to take part in any negotiations. Two Turkish officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media, said Turkey is trying to organize a meeting between US special envoy Steve Witkoff and Iranian leaders. The meeting could take place as soon as the end of the week, one of the officials said. The US military has moved the USS Abraham Lincoln and several guided-missile destroyers into the Middle East, but it remains unclear whether US President Donald Trump would decide to use force against the Iranian government, as he has suggested he might do in retribution for their devastating crackdown on last month's protests and as he presses for a deal on Iran's nuclear program. "We have talks going on with Iran, we'll see how it all works out

Turkey seeks to broker talks between US-Iran to avert military escalation
Updated On : 03 Feb 2026 | 7:12 AM IST

Oil prices fall 5% as Trump signals de-escalation in US-Iran tensions

Oil dropped sharply from the previous sessions, when Brent touched a six-month high and ​WTI was hovering near its highest since late September on mounting tensions between the United States and Iran

Oil prices fall 5% as Trump signals de-escalation in US-Iran tensions
Updated On : 02 Feb 2026 | 11:38 AM IST

US attack to spark 'regional war': Iran's supreme leader Khamenei

Iran's supreme leader warns a US attack would trigger a regional war as tensions rise over protests, nuclear issues and military moves in the Strait of Hormuz

US attack to spark 'regional war': Iran's supreme leader Khamenei
Updated On : 01 Feb 2026 | 7:14 PM IST

Iran's strategic woes: Protests, pressure, and power politics

As protests rage inside Iran and US warships gather in the region, West Asia edges closer to a dangerous confrontation

Iran's strategic woes: Protests, pressure, and power politics
Updated On : 10 Feb 2026 | 1:00 AM IST
Blueprint

Any attack could trigger 'regional war': Iran's Khamenei warns US

Iran's supreme leader warned the United States on Sunday that if "they start a war, this time it will be a regional war". The comments from the 86-year-old Ayatollah Ali Khamenei are the most-direct threat he's made so far. Iranian state television reported the comments online. It added that Khamenei said: "We are not the instigators and we do not seek to attack any country. But the Iranian nation will deliver a firm blow to anyone who attacks or harasses it.

Any attack could trigger 'regional war': Iran's Khamenei warns US
Updated On : 01 Feb 2026 | 3:21 PM IST

Any attack could trigger 'regional war': Iran's Khamenei warns US

Iran's supreme leader warned the United States on Sunday that if "they start a war, this time it will be a regional war". The comments from the 86-year-old Ayatollah Ali Khamenei are the most-direct threat he's made so far. Iranian state television reported the comments online. It added that Khamenei said: "We are not the instigators and we do not seek to attack any country. But the Iranian nation will deliver a firm blow to anyone who attacks or harasses it.

Any attack could trigger 'regional war': Iran's Khamenei warns US
Updated On : 01 Feb 2026 | 3:21 PM IST

Blast in Iran kills 1, wounds 14 ahead of Hormuz naval drill watched by US

An explosion tore through an apartment building Saturday in Iran's port city of Bandar Abbas, killing a 4-year-old girl as local media footage purportedly showed a security force member being carried out by rescuers. The blast happened a day before a planned naval drill by Iran in the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow mouth of the Persian Gulf through which a fifth of all oil traded passes. Already, the US military had warned Iran not to threaten its warships or commercial traffic in the strait, on which Bandar Abbas sits. State television quoted a local fire official as blaming the blast on a gas leak. Media reported at least 14 others suffered injuries in the explosion at the eight-storey building, which blew out windows and covered the street below in debris. A local newspaper, Sobh-e Sahel, aired footage of one of its correspondents speaking in front of the building. The footage included a sequence that showed a man in black boots and a green security force uniform being carried out

Blast in Iran kills 1, wounds 14 ahead of Hormuz naval drill watched by US
Updated On : 01 Feb 2026 | 8:46 AM IST

Blast in Iran kills 1, wounds 14 ahead of Hormuz naval drill watched by US

An explosion tore through an apartment building Saturday in Iran's port city of Bandar Abbas, killing a 4-year-old girl as local media footage purportedly showed a security force member being carried out by rescuers. The blast happened a day before a planned naval drill by Iran in the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow mouth of the Persian Gulf through which a fifth of all oil traded passes. Already, the US military had warned Iran not to threaten its warships or commercial traffic in the strait, on which Bandar Abbas sits. State television quoted a local fire official as blaming the blast on a gas leak. Media reported at least 14 others suffered injuries in the explosion at the eight-storey building, which blew out windows and covered the street below in debris. A local newspaper, Sobh-e Sahel, aired footage of one of its correspondents speaking in front of the building. The footage included a sequence that showed a man in black boots and a green security force uniform being carried out

Blast in Iran kills 1, wounds 14 ahead of Hormuz naval drill watched by US
Updated On : 01 Feb 2026 | 8:46 AM IST

Satellite photos show activity at Iran nuclear sites amid protest crackdown

As tensions soar over Iran's bloody crackdown on nationwide protests, satellite images show activity at two Iranian nuclear sites bombed last year by Israel and the United States that may be a sign of Tehran trying to obscure efforts to salvage any materials remaining there. The images from Planet Labs PBC show roofs have been built over two damaged buildings at the Isfahan and Natanz facilities, the first major activity noticeable by satellite at any of the country's stricken nuclear sites since Israel's 12-day war with Iran in June. Those coverings block satellites from seeing what's happening on the ground - right now the only way for inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency to monitor the sites as Iran has prevented access. Iran has not publicly discussed the activity at the two sites. The IAEA, a watchdog agency of the United Nations, did not respond to requests for comment. US President Donald Trump repeatedly has demanded Iran negotiate a deal over its nuclear

Satellite photos show activity at Iran nuclear sites amid protest crackdown
Updated On : 31 Jan 2026 | 10:08 AM IST

Satellite photos show activity at Iran nuclear sites amid protest crackdown

As tensions soar over Iran's bloody crackdown on nationwide protests, satellite images show activity at two Iranian nuclear sites bombed last year by Israel and the United States that may be a sign of Tehran trying to obscure efforts to salvage any materials remaining there. The images from Planet Labs PBC show roofs have been built over two damaged buildings at the Isfahan and Natanz facilities, the first major activity noticeable by satellite at any of the country's stricken nuclear sites since Israel's 12-day war with Iran in June. Those coverings block satellites from seeing what's happening on the ground - right now the only way for inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency to monitor the sites as Iran has prevented access. Iran has not publicly discussed the activity at the two sites. The IAEA, a watchdog agency of the United Nations, did not respond to requests for comment. US President Donald Trump repeatedly has demanded Iran negotiate a deal over its nuclear

Satellite photos show activity at Iran nuclear sites amid protest crackdown
Updated On : 31 Jan 2026 | 10:08 AM IST

Iran ready to make a deal, says Trump as US weighs military options

The updated menu of options includes scenarios that would place American forces directly on Iranian soil, such as targeted raids against key facilities

Iran ready to make a deal, says Trump as US weighs military options
Updated On : 31 Jan 2026 | 9:44 AM IST

Iran ready to make a deal, says Trump as US weighs military options

The updated menu of options includes scenarios that would place American forces directly on Iranian soil, such as targeted raids against key facilities

Iran ready to make a deal, says Trump as US weighs military options
Updated On : 31 Jan 2026 | 9:44 AM IST

Iran agrees for 'fair' talks with US but not over its defence capabilities

Iran signals readiness for US talks but rules out negotiations on missile and defence capabilities, as regional powers push to avert military conflict

Iran agrees for 'fair' talks with US but not over its defence capabilities
Updated On : 30 Jan 2026 | 9:37 PM IST

EU lists Iran's Revolutionary Guard as terrorist group, sanctions follow

European Union ministers approved adding Iran's Revolutionary Guard to the terror list and announced sanctions; Iran hit back, calling the move a 'major strategic mistake'

EU lists Iran's Revolutionary Guard as terrorist group, sanctions follow
Updated On : 30 Jan 2026 | 9:41 AM IST

'Another beautiful armada floating': Trump renews hard-line Iran stance

Speaking in Iowa, the US president pointed to a major military buildup near Iran even as he said Tehran has repeatedly sought negotiations

'Another beautiful armada floating': Trump renews hard-line Iran stance
Updated On : 28 Jan 2026 | 9:10 AM IST

'Another beautiful armada floating': Trump renews hard-line Iran stance

Speaking in Iowa, the US president pointed to a major military buildup near Iran even as he said Tehran has repeatedly sought negotiations

'Another beautiful armada floating': Trump renews hard-line Iran stance
Updated On : 28 Jan 2026 | 9:10 AM IST

IndiGo extends flight cancellations to Tbilisi, Almaty, Baku, Tashkent

IndiGo has extended cancellations of flights to Tbilisi, Almaty, Baku and Tashkent until February 11 due to rising tensions in Iran and safety concerns over the airspace

IndiGo extends flight cancellations to Tbilisi, Almaty, Baku, Tashkent
Updated On : 27 Jan 2026 | 4:33 PM IST

IndiGo extends flight cancellations to Tbilisi, Almaty, Baku, Tashkent

IndiGo has extended cancellations of flights to Tbilisi, Almaty, Baku and Tashkent until February 11 due to rising tensions in Iran and safety concerns over the airspace

IndiGo extends flight cancellations to Tbilisi, Almaty, Baku, Tashkent
Updated On : 27 Jan 2026 | 4:33 PM IST

At least 6,126 killed in Iran's crackdown on nationwide protests: Activists

Activists said Tuesday that at least 6,126 people were killed in Iran's crackdown on nationwide protests and many more are still feared dead. The new figures came from the US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency, which has been accurate in multiple rounds of unrest in Iran. The group verifies each death with a network of activists on the ground in Iran. The Associated Press has been unable to independently assess the death toll given authorities cutting off the internet and disrupting calls into the Islamic Republic. Iran's government has put the death toll at a far lower 3,117, saying 2,427 were civilians and security forces, and labelled the rest "terrorists." In the past, Iran's theocracy has undercounted or not reported fatalities from unrest.

At least 6,126 killed in Iran's crackdown on nationwide protests: Activists
Updated On : 27 Jan 2026 | 7:55 AM IST