Most large cities and towns offer multiple options for Western music students. Here are a few.
- BANGALORE At the Bangalore School of Music (BSM) the piano is part of the school’s Western classical music repertoire. The school follows the syllabus of the Trinity College of Music, London. The Western music course has grades I to VIII, which students must complete to be eligible for a diploma. With six piano teachers, the BSM offers various opportunities for students, including stage performances and exchange programmes with music institutions in Europe and America. Cost: For a total of four classes in a month, the fee is Rs 1,500 per month Address: No 8, CBI Main Road, HMT-HBCS Layout, RT Nagar (Next to St Jude’s Church), Bangalore 560 032 Tel: 080-23536090, 080-23546090 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- CHENNAI A R Rahman’s K M Music Conservatory has a foundation programme which offers Western instrumental and vocal music courses. Apart from Hindustani classical, students can also learn the piano, violin, viola, cello, percussion and guitar. Cost: Details of various courses are available in the KMMC prospectus, which you need to buy (price: Rs 1,750) Address: 5, Dr Suburaya Nagar, 5th Street, Kodambakkam, Chennai 600 024 Tel: 044-43444786 Email: email@example.com
- KOLKATA Founded in 1915, the Calcutta School of Music may be the oldest institution in India teaching Western music.
The School, affiliated to the Royal Schools of Music and Trinity College, London, offers a variety of courses in classical, chamber and solo music, both vocal and instrumental. There is also training in keyboard, jazz, modern creative dance and theatrics, along with a six-month course in music recording. Cost: Fees range from Rs 430-500 to Rs 13,000; piano lessons cost Rs 750 a month. Address: 6B, Sunny Park, Ballygunge, Kolkata 700 019 Tel: 033-24615294
- MUMBAI Theme Piano offers courses in piano and once you join, you have to learn the instrument for a minimum of three months. Classes are held in groups, each comprising not more than six students. Cost: Rs 1,000 for registration cost. The fee for the three-month course (hour-long classes once a week) is Rs 5,000. Address: 8 Swastik Society, 1st Road, Juhu Scheme, Mumbai Tel: 022-26128005, 022-2612 8008, 0-9930121918
- DELHI Delhi School of Music offers courses in Western classical, vocal and instrumental, music. The piano and keyboard courses are sought after. Cost: Rs 2,500 for three months Address: 8, Nyaya Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110 021 Tel: 011-26115331
|WHERE TO BUY |
The stores below are well known. Each manufacturer also has local dealers — look online