You are here: Home » Economy & Policy » News
Business Standard

No CBI probe into Jaipur oil depot fire: Govt

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

Government today ruled out a CBI probe into the fire of November and informed the that a had already been formed to look into the safety aspects and lapses that led to the incident.

Replying to a query during Question Hour, Minister of State of Petroleum and Natural Gas Jitin Prasada said an Inquiry had already been formed to look into lapses and negligence in safety that led to the fire. He informed the House that the government was awaiting the Committee's report.

Rejecting a suggestion by a member that the probe be handed over to CBI which was already going into a theft case that took place earlier this year in the Jaipur oil depot, he said the agency was only looking into the theft and sabotage angle in the earlier case.

The fire that occurred in November, claimed 12 lives and gutted property worth crores and harmed crops in the area.


The ministry also assured the House that other than the relief of Rs 50 Crore to those affected by the fire, government would sanction more money if the Inquiry so recommended.

Prasada said crops in the vicinity had been harmed but not destroyed as the sulphur content in the oil was within permissible limits under Euro-III and Euro-IV norms.

First Published: Thu, December 10 2009. 13:48 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU