You are here: Home » International » News » Politics
Business Standard

Boris Johnson's plan to suspend Parliament survives early court test

Former PM John Major, a strong supporter of EU membership, has said he will seek to join the London legal action

AFP | PTI 

Boris Johnson
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson

Opponents of UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s move to suspend parliament in the final weeks before lost the first of several legal bids to stop him on Friday. Scottish judge Raymond Doherty rejected the request for a temporary injunction pending a full hearing in the case on September 6.

“I’m not satisfied that there’s a need for an interim suspension or an interim interdict to be granted at this stage,” Doherty said in his ruling.

Queen Elizabeth II has already given the go-ahead to shutter parliament between mid-September and October 14 — just two weeks before the date of October 31.

The move was widely seen as limiting the time for parliamentarians to move against Johnson, who has said Britain must leave the EU with or without a deal. Legal bids to halt the suspension have also been launched in Belfast and London.

Former prime minister John Major, a strong supporter of EU membership, has said he will seek to join the London legal action.

Johnson announced the surprise decision on Wednesday to dismiss parliament — known as proroguing — next month for nearly five weeks. The move sent shockwaves through British politics, triggering a furious outcry from pro-Europeans and MPs opposed to a no-deal exit.

ALSO READ: Collapse us if you can, British government dares Brexit opponents

Wrong-footed, Johnson’s opponents labelled the suspension of parliament a “coup” and a “constitutional outrage”. Johnson said he wants to “step up the tempo” in talks with the European Union to strike a new deal. Johnson wants the so-called backstop, the fallback provisions regarding the Irish border, scrapped completely.

“While I have been encouraged with my discussions with EU leaders over recent weeks that there is a willingness to talk about alternatives to the anti-democratic backstop, it is now time for both sides to step up the tempo,” he said.

There are growing concerns among some major players in the EU that Britain will not be able to come up with realistic alternatives to the backstop in time. A spokesperson for the European Commission said they were willing to work “24/7 throughout this long process”.

“We expect the UK to come forward with concrete proposals as President (Jean-Claude) Juncker made clear to Prime Minister Johnson earlier this week.” The backstop is included in a divorce deal the EU agreed with Johnson’s predecessor, Theresa May, which parliament has rejected three times.

Ireland’s Foreign Minister Simon Coveney said Britain had come up with “nothing credible” to replace the backstop.

First Published: Sat, August 31 2019. 02:40 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU