Ukraine has reportedly said that its army is beginning the withdrawal of heavy weapons from the front line in east Ukraine, in keeping with the Minsk truce deal.
The Ukrainian defence ministry dubbed the withdrawal of 100mm calibre artillery as the "first step" and added that it will be monitored by foreign observers, reported the BBC.
Pro-Russian rebels had earlier said that they had started withdrawing heavy weapons but the claim was not verified by monitors.
The Minsk truce deal took effect on February 15 but appeared to be collapsing as they seized the key town of Debaltseve just days later.
Conflict erupted in eastern Ukraine last April, a month after Russia annexed the Crimea peninsula.
More than 5,800 people have died since then, according to the UN.