You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Delhi techie kills nephew suspecting affair with his girlfriend, buries body, plants saplings

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

A 37-year-old man, who allegedly killed his nephew suspecting him of having an affair with his girlfriend, was arrested by the Police from after three years of the incident, officials said Thursday.

Bijay Kumar Maharana, a resident of Odisha's Ganjam, moved to in 2012 after his girlfriend shifted to the national capital. In 2015, Bijay's nephew also moved to from and they started living together at a flat in Delhi's Dwarka area, officials said.

While Bijay used to work in an IT firm in Noida Sector 144, was an employee of a Gurgaon-based company.

Over time, became close to Bijay's girlfriend, which he didn't like. Upset over this, Bijay planned to kill his nephew, Rajender Singh Sagar, of Police (Dwarka), said.

On the night of February 6, 2016, when Jai Prakash was asleep, he smashed his head with the motor of a ceiling fan, which was lying in his flat for repair, the said.

He dragged the body to his balcony and buried it in soil, which he had already arranged. He even planted saplings to alleviate any suspicion, the said.

After a week, he filed a missing complaint with police saying his nephew didn't return after he went out with some friends. He stayed in the flat for about two months and then shifted to Nangloi in western fringes of the city. In 2017, he moved to Hyderabad, the said.

In October last year, Jai Prakash's skeleton was found when the building was being renovated. The skeleton was wrapped in a blue-colour jacket, a shirt, a bed sheet, a blanket and a mattress.

From the owner of the flat, police found about Bijay. The owner, Vikram Singh, also told police that two other tenants also lived in the flat after Bijay vacated it.

During investigation, Bijay was found missing and no one in his family or his group of friends knew about his whereabouts. He had changed his mobile number and stopped using his after withdrawing all his money, the officer said.

With the help of technical surveillance, police located him after weeks of hunt. A team of the first went to Vishakhapatnam on December 26 and later travelled to on January 1 in search of Bijay.

Bijay was nabbed on Sunday from Hyderabad and was brought to Delhi, he said.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Thu, January 10 2019. 20:20 IST