Thursday, February 19, 2026 | 03:36 AM ISTहिंदी में पढें
Business Standard
Notification Icon
userprofile IconSearch

Page 91 - Latest Updates on Donald Trump

Trump hosts top tech CEOs at White House dinner, Musk absent from list

US President Donald Trump hosted a high-powered group of tech executives at the White House on Thursday as he showcased research on artificial intelligence and boasted of investments that companies are making around the United States. This is taking our country to a new level, he said at the centre of a long table surrounded by what he described as high IQ people". It was the latest example of a delicate two-way courtship between Trump and tech leaders, several of whom attended his inauguration. Trump has exulted in the attention from some of the world's most successful businesspeople, while the companies are eager to remain on the good side of the mercurial president. While the executives praised Trump and talked about their hopes for technological advancement, the Republican president was focused on dollar signs. He went around the table and asked executives how much they were investing in the country. Meta's Mark Zuckerberg, who sat to Trump's right, said USD 600 billion. Apple

Trump hosts top tech CEOs at White House dinner, Musk absent from list
Updated On : 05 Sep 2025 | 9:37 AM IST

Two Venezuelan military aircraft fly over US naval vessel as tensions rise

Days earlier, the US had struck a purported drug-smuggling vessel it said was headed from Venezuela, killing all 11 people aboard in a strike that drew criticism at home and abroad

Two Venezuelan military aircraft fly over US naval vessel as tensions rise
Updated On : 05 Sep 2025 | 8:56 AM IST

'Fairly substantial' semiconductor tariffs coming 'shortly', says Trump

Trump last month during an event with Cook said that he planned a 100 per cent tariff on semiconductors, while exempting products from companies that move their manufacturing to the US

'Fairly substantial' semiconductor tariffs coming 'shortly', says Trump
Updated On : 05 Sep 2025 | 8:25 AM IST

Xi brings together world leaders sick of being pushed around by Trump

The most surprising image may have been a chummy three-way gathering between Xi, Putin and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who made his first visit to China in seven years

Xi brings together world leaders sick of being pushed around by Trump
Updated On : 05 Sep 2025 | 8:18 AM IST

Washington officials sue Trump over National Guard deployment in US capital

The city contends that the mobilization of more than 2,200 troops since mid-August violates US laws meant to bar the military from carrying out domestic law enforcement activities

Washington officials sue Trump over National Guard deployment in US capital
Updated On : 05 Sep 2025 | 8:03 AM IST

US set to cut security funds for European allies along Russian border

The move may result in shaving off hundreds of millions of dollars worth of financial support for equipment and weapons training for armies across Europe

US set to cut security funds for European allies along Russian border
Updated On : 05 Sep 2025 | 8:00 AM IST

Zohran Mamdani likely to be NYC mayor unless 2 of his rivals quit: Trump

US President Donald Trump has said he thinks Democrat Zohran Mamdani is likely to become New York City's next mayor unless two of the three major candidates running against him drop out of the race. But the Republican didn't say which two candidates he'd like to see quit. Trump said No when he was asked by a reporter on Thursday night if he'd urged or encouraged any of the candidates in the race to drop out, but went on to say he would like to see that happen. I don't think you can win unless you have one-on-one, and somehow he's gotten a little bit of a lead, Trump said of Mamdani. I have no idea how that happened. The president, who spoke as he hosted a dinner at the White House with tech executives, went on, I would like to see two people drop out and have it be one-on-one, and I think that's a race that could be won. Mamdani, a 33-year-old democratic socialist, has been the presumptive favourite in the election since soundly beating former governor Andrew Cuomo in the Democra

Zohran Mamdani likely to be NYC mayor unless 2 of his rivals quit: Trump
Updated On : 05 Sep 2025 | 7:59 AM IST

Trump to sign executive order rebranding Pentagon as 'Department of War'

US President Donald Trump plans to sign an executive order on Friday to rebrand the Department of Defence as the Department of War, his latest effort to project an image of toughness for America's military. The Republican president can't formally change the name without legislation, which his administration would request from Congress. In the meantime, Trump will authorise the Pentagon to use secondary titles" so the department can go by its original name. The plans were disclosed by a White House official, who requested anonymity ahead of the public announcement, and detailed in a White House fact sheet. The Department of War was created in 1789, the same year that the US Constitution took effect. It was renamed by law in 1947, two years after the end of World War II. Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth posted DEPARTMENT OF WAR on social media after the executive order was initially reported by Fox News. Trump and Hegseth have long talked about changing the name, and Hegseth even create

Trump to sign executive order rebranding Pentagon as 'Department of War'
Updated On : 05 Sep 2025 | 7:48 AM IST

Trump signals upcoming talks with Putin after call with Zelenskyy

US President Trump was asked by a reporter during the tech leaders dinner whether he planned to speak to his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin in the near future after talking to Ukrainian President Voldoymyr Zelenskyy earlier Thursday. He said, I will be, yeah. We're having a very good dialogue. At the tech leaders dinner at the White House, Trump was seated at the centre of a long table between first lady Melania Trump and Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg. Melania Trump chaired a meeting of the White House's new Artificial Intelligence Education task force on Thursday afternoon. The event was planned to be the first in the newly paved Rose Garden but moved to the White House State Dining Room because of rain. Trump asked the tech leaders to say a little bit about their companies and talk about their investments in the United States. Zuckerberg estimated that his company would be spending roughly USD 600 billion through 2028.

Trump signals upcoming talks with Putin after call with Zelenskyy
Updated On : 05 Sep 2025 | 7:28 AM IST

Appeals court stops order to wind down operations at 'Alligator Alcatraz'

A federal appeals court panel on Thursday put on hold a lower court judge's order to wind down operations of the immigration detention centre in the Florida Everglades dubbed Alligator Alcatraz". The three-judge panel in Atlanta decided by a 2-1 vote to stay the federal judge's order pending the outcome of an appeal, saying it was in the public interest. US District Judge Kathleen Williams in Miami issued a preliminary injunction last month ordering operations at the facility to be wound down by the end of October, with detainees transferred to other facilities and equipment and fencing removed. Republican Governor Ron DeSantis' administration in late June raced to build the facility on an isolated airstrip surrounded by wetlands to aid President Donald Trump's efforts to deport people in the US illegally. The governor said the location in the rugged and remote Everglades was meant as a deterrent against escape, much like the island prison in California that Republicans named it ..

Appeals court stops order to wind down operations at 'Alligator Alcatraz'
Updated On : 05 Sep 2025 | 6:56 AM IST

Trump Inc's $5.4 billion crypto foray: WLFI token hit by turbulence

The token, promoted by Donald Trump's family and listed this week on leading exchanges Binance and Coinbase, is still changing hands about 25% below its launch price

Trump Inc's $5.4 billion crypto foray: WLFI token hit by turbulence
Updated On : 04 Sep 2025 | 11:48 PM IST

Putin slams Trump for using colonial-style tactics on India, China leaders

Russian President Vladimir Putin has reprimanded his US counterpart Donald Trump for attempting to exert colonial-era pressure tactics on leaders of powerful economies like India and China, saying that is not the way to deal with the partners. Powerful economies like India and China, with heavy populations, have their domestic political mechanism and laws, Putin, who is here to attend China's victory parade, told the media here on Wednesday. When somebody tells you, they are going to punish you, you have to think about the leadership of those countries, those big courtiers, which have difficult periods of their history too, will react," the Russian president said. These countries had to deal with colonialists, with attacks on their sovereignty for long periods of time, he added. You have to understand that if one of them shows weakness, his political career will be over, so that influences his behaviour, he said. The colonial era is over. They have to realise they cannot use this

Putin slams Trump for using colonial-style tactics on India, China leaders
Updated On : 04 Sep 2025 | 11:04 PM IST

Fed is independent, but could markets be right about Trump's push for cuts?

Trump's push for democratic control of the Fed and its independence are not mutually exclusive

Fed is independent, but could markets be right about Trump's push for cuts?
Updated On : 04 Sep 2025 | 10:02 PM IST

Trump to host top tech CEOs except Musk at White House dinner on Thursday

President Donald Trump will host a high-powered list of tech CEOs for a dinner at the White House on Thursday night. The guest list is set to include Microsoft cofounder Bill Gates, Apple CEO Tim Cook, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg and a dozen other executives from the biggest artificial intelligence and tech firms, according to the White House. One notable absence from the guest list is Elon Musk, once a close ally of Trump, whom the president tasked with running the government-slashing Department of Government Efficiency. Musk had a public break with Trump earlier this year. The dinner will be held in the Rose Garden, where Trump recently paved over the grassy lawn and set up tables, chairs and umbrellas that look strikingly similar to the outdoor setup at at his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida. The Rose Garden Club at the White House is the hottest place to be in Washington, or perhaps the world. The president looks forward to welcoming top business, political, and tech leaders for this .

Trump to host top tech CEOs except Musk at White House dinner on Thursday
Updated On : 04 Sep 2025 | 10:10 AM IST

Court rules US illegally froze $2 bn research funds in win for Harvard

The US government violated Harvard's free speech rights and didn't follow proper procedures when it suspended a wide range of research grants in April, according to a federal judge

Court rules US illegally froze $2 bn research funds in win for Harvard
Updated On : 04 Sep 2025 | 9:33 AM IST

Trump suggests New Orleans may be next for National Guard deployment

President Donald Trump suggested Wednesday that New Orleans could be his next target for deploying the National Guard to fight crime, potentially expanding the number of cities around the nation where he may send federal law enforcement. Trump has already said he plans to send the National Guard into Chicago and Baltimore following his administration deploying troops and federal agents to patrol the streets of Washington, D.C., last month. So we're making a determination now," Trump told reporters in the Oval Office during a meeting with Polish President Karol Nawrocki. Do we go to Chicago? Do we go to a place like New Orleans, where we have a great governor, Jeff Landry, who wants us to come in and straighten out a very nice section of this country that's become quite, you know, quite tough, quite bad." Trump now frequently boasts about turning Washington into a safe zone. The White House reports more than 1,760 arrests citywide since the president first announced he was mobilizing

Trump suggests New Orleans may be next for National Guard deployment
Updated On : 04 Sep 2025 | 6:47 AM IST

US-China ties 'very good' but Xi gave no credit to US role, says Trump

US President expressed his disappointment with Xi Jinping's speech during the parade, as the Chinese President did not recognise the US role in supporting China during its freedom struggles

US-China ties 'very good' but Xi gave no credit to US role, says Trump
Updated On : 04 Sep 2025 | 6:45 AM IST

Will soon know whether Putin, Zelenskyy will hold talks, says Trump

US President Donald Trump on Wednesday said he will soon have answer on whether Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Ukrainian counterpart Volodymyr Zelenskyy will hold talks. I'm having a conversation with him very shortly, and I'll know pretty much what we're going to be doing, Trump told reporters at his Oval Office. He did not clarify if he was talking about Putin or Zelenskyy. However, a White House official who was not authorised to speak publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity said Trump was referring to Zelenskyy. Trump also reiterated that he thought bringing an end to the Russia-Ukraine conflict would be much easier than it has proven to be. Still, he said that the bloodshed in eastern Europe has to end, and expressed confidence that he'll be able to bring the conflict to a close. Not since the second World War has there been anything even close to this, Trump said. He added, They not soldiers from my country. This is my country. But I have a power to end thin

Will soon know whether Putin, Zelenskyy will hold talks, says Trump
Updated On : 04 Sep 2025 | 6:39 AM IST

Trump assures Poland of continued US military presence in European nation

President Donald Trump affirmed that the United States will keep a robust military presence in Poland as he had a warm meeting Wednesday with Karol Nawrocki, the new president of the American ally in Europe. Trump had taken the unusual step of endorsing Nawrocki in the Polish elections earlier this year, and as the leaders sat side by side in the White House, Trump said the US-Polish relationship has always been strong but "now it's better than ever. When asked by a reporter whether the US planned to continue placing troops in Poland, Trump said the US would and that "we'll put more there if they want". We'll be staying in Poland. We're very much aligned with Poland," Trump said. The visit to Washington is Nawrocki's first overseas trip since taking office last month. The former amateur boxer and historian, who was backed by the conservative Law and Justice party, was hoping to deepen his relationship with Trump at a fraught moment for Warsaw. Nawrocki thanked Trump for his suppor

Trump assures Poland of continued US military presence in European nation
Updated On : 03 Sep 2025 | 11:31 PM IST

Trump says he put secondary sanctions on India for buying Russian oil

US President Donald Trump on Wednesday said he put secondary sanctions on India for buying Russian oil and indicated that he hasn't done "phase two yet or phase three." Trump, while participating in a bilateral meeting in the Oval Office with Poland's President Karol Nawrocki, appeared irritated when he was asked by a Polish reporter that he had expressed frustration and disappointment with Russian President Vladimir Putin but has not taken any action over it. "How do you know there's no action? Would you say that putting secondary sanctions on India, the largest purchaser outside of China, they're almost equal, would you say there was no action? That cost hundreds of billions of dollars to Russia. You call that no action? And I haven't done phase two yet or phase three. But when you say there's no action, I think you ought to get yourself a new job, Trump shot back at the Polish reporter. Trump said that two weeks ago, he said, If India buys, India's got big problems, and that's wh

Trump says he put secondary sanctions on India for buying Russian oil
Updated On : 03 Sep 2025 | 10:33 PM IST