Business Standard brings you the top headlines at this hour
Seven electric two-wheeler companies have suffered a cumulative loss of over Rs 9,000 crore on account of unpaid dues and loss of market after their subsidies were stopped last year, the Society of Manufacturers of Electric Vehicles (SMEV) said on Wednesday. These companies have also been directed by the govt to refund the subsidies availed by them. The audit by SMEV's chartered accountants indicates the total, cumulative damages to affected companies could account for over Rs 9,000 crore on a conservative basis, it noted. This cursory audit estimates cumulative losses on account of unpaid dues, interest, debt, loss of market share, reputational loss, cost of capital and potential recapitalisation, to around Rs 9,075 crore ever since the Ministry of Heavy Industries held up their subsidies since 2022, SMEV said. The fact is some may never recover, and some may just wind up, it added. Highlighting the need for a speedy resolution, SMEV Chief Evangelist Sanjay Kaul pointed out it is
Delhi Transport Minister Kailash Gahlot on Wednesday announced that the registration of electric vehicles has been restarted and shared that the subsidy benefits of the existing policy will continue till a new one is notified. The Delhi Electric Vehicle Policy was released on August 7, 2020, and according to its clause 3.1, the policy "shall remain valid for a period of three years from the date of issue". The registration of new vehicles was stopped with the policy ending on August 7 this year. However, in an official communication, Gahlot said the process for extension of the electric vehicle policy has been started and the draft Cabinet note has been approved. On Wednesday, Gahlot tweeted, "The registration of electric vehicles at RTOs has been restarted. The subsidy benefits of the existing Delhi EV policy will continue till the new policy gets notified. Under the leadership of Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, we are committed to serve the citizens of Delhi." In May, the transp
Tesla's Model Y crossover SUV has comfortably outsold every competitor since Feb, while BYD Co.'s Dolphin hatchback has already overtaken established competitors just months after deliveries began
R C Bhargava, chairman, MSIL, in an interaction talks about the company's EV plans, the need to acquire Suzuki Motor Gujarat (SMG), and reorganisation
HMIL to introduce five EVs by 2032; Kia targets 10% market share
Industry experts view this step as a positive direction, addressing not only the struggling state of STUs but also the high costs associated with acquiring e-buses and the operational risks
South Korean automotive group Hyundai Motor is preparing for a "new Group leadership position in EVs" in India given that the country will be a competitive electric vehicle battleground in the years to come, the company said on Tuesday. The group also plans to make its R&D centre in Hyderabad a hub for future mobility research, including electrification and autonomous driving, while it is lining up five electric vehicles to be introduced in India by 2032. In a mid-to-long-term mobility strategy review of the Indian market during the visit of Hyundai Motor Group Executive Chair Euisun Chung to the country, the group said it has discussed the preparations for a "new Group leadership position in EVs" given that India will be a competitive EV battleground in the years to come. The group expects the Indian passenger car market to exceed 50 lakh units by 2030 with SUVs estimated to account for 48 per cent while EVs are expected to reach 10 lakh units. During his two-day tour, Chung ...
Delhi Transport Minister Kailash Gahlot on Monday announced that subsidy benefits under the existing Electric Vehicle Policy will continue till a new one gets notified. The Delhi Electric Vehicle Policy, introduced in August 2020, aims at increasing the EV share in total vehicle sales to 25 per cent by 2024. According to official data, over 1.12 lakh electric vehicles have been sold under the policy. "Today, we complete three years of Delhi's landmark EV policy that has propelled Delhi to becoming India's electric vehicle capital. "Since the formulation of a new electric vehicle policy is still under process, the subsidy benefits of the existing policy will continue till the new policy gets notified," Gahlot said in a tweet. Delhi's electric vehicle policy has so far achieved around 86 per cent of its measures and targets, the transport department said in May. The transport department and Delhi Electric Vehicle Cell also held a stakeholder consultation in May as part of the proces
The UK, which is looking at withdrawing all subsidies on EVs, has seen penetration in the same period going up from 2 per cent to 23 per cent
Tata Motors is looking to expand sales outlets in Tier II and Tier III cities in order to cater to the increased demand for its electric model range from such locations, according to a top company executive. The company, which ended the first quarter with sales of around 19,000 electric vehicle units, is also looking to have a separate sales infrastructure for its electric vehicle portfolio going ahead. In an analyst call, Tata Motors Passenger Vehicles Managing Director Shailesh Chandra noted that EV adoption is now growing beyond the top 20 cities in the country. "With the bias now moving to other parts of the country...that's a good sign in terms of how the EV sales will grow from here," he said. With the launch of Tiago EV, there has been a shift in terms of micro markets now, Chandra said. He noted that more than 49 per cent of the Tiago EV sales were now coming in from other than the top 20 cities, he added. "And therefore, we have taken that opportunity to really start ...
With this, the company's valuation will rise 15 per cent from Rs 70,070 crore to Rs 80,580 crore
India's Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) has alleged that China's largest electric vehicle (EV) maker, underpaid tax of Rs 73 crore ($9 million)
To facilitate EV manufacturing in India, the government could also provide some concessions for the import of Tesla's critical parts
After receiving a report from the committee, the ministry is considering scrapping the mandatory testing parameters
The Taiwanese company's EV platform unit Mobility in Harmony (MIH) would be willing to work with its parent or another company to build the new three-seat EV priced below $20,000
Tata Power on Monday launched a radio-frequency identification card, which, it said, will help accelerate the adoption of electric vehicles in the country. With the launch of the card, Tata Power aims to leverage its electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure, which includes over 40,000 home chargers, more than 4,000 public and semi-public charging points, and 250 bus-charging points across the country, the company said in a statement. The radio-frequency identification (RFID) card was launched by Praveer Sinha, chief executive officer and managing director (MD), Tata Power, along with Shailesh Chandra, MD of Tata Motors Passenger Vehicles and Tata Passenger Electric Mobility. The card offers convenience with its tap, charge, and go functionality, the statement said. The card features a built-in chip that enables efficient, secure, and seamless initiation of charging sessions and payments, it said.
With Okinawa and Hero Electric dropping sub 6 per cent, the 150 odd players in the market will very soon shrink to just 4-6 players in the real game
According to data received from the transport department, the number of EVs sold over the past decade till July 2022 stood at 33,922
Many Indian states are keen to woo Tesla to set up its plant in their region, but the carmaker is currently focussed on discussing its proposal with the federal government in New Delhi