As Google's dominant search business matures, investors are looking to the cloud unit to take the lead on growth. The unit reported operating income of $266 million, missing estimates of $434 million
The Biden Administration announced a series of measures to boost small and minority-owned businesses ahead of its annual Freedman's Bank Forum
The Pixel range and its new Pixel 8 (which starts from Rs 75,999, aimed at the upper premium end of the market, where Samsung is the big boy it has so far not set the market on fire
AI has become prominent with the emergence of generative AI
The Iris glasses would be highly integrated with Google Assistant, which might work with gesture controls besides voice
Tech giant commits to roll out first locally made Pixel phone by 2024
The first India-made Pixel devices will come to market in 2024
The company is enhancing a wide range of its existing platforms and solutions with Infosys Topaz and Google Cloud GenAI features
Instead of using an alphanumeric password or two-step verification via SMS, Passkeys allow users to authenticate signing in requests by using biometrics such as fingerprints and facial scans
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday interacted with Google and Alphabet CEO Sundar Pichai virtually and discussed the technological giant's plan to participate in expanding the electronics manufacturing ecosystem in India. The prime minister's office (PMO) said Modi appreciated Google's partnership with HP to manufacture chromebooks in India. It said, "Prime Minister acknowledged Google's 100 languages initiative and encouraged efforts to make AI tools available in Indian languages. He also encouraged Google to work on AI tools for good governance." Modi welcomed Google's plans to open its global fintech operations centre at the Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT) in Gandhinagar. Pichai informed him regarding Google's plans to improve financial inclusion in India by leveraging the strength and reach of GPay and UPI, it said. He also emphasized Google's commitment to contribute to the development trajectory of India. Modi also invited Google to contribute to the upcom
If government regulators prevail against Google in the biggest US antitrust trial in a quarter century, it's likely to unleash drastic changes that will undermine the dominance of a search engine that defines the internet for billions of people. As the 10-week trial probing Google's business practices nears its midway point, it's still too early to tell if US District Judge Amit Mehta will side with the Justice Department and try to handcuff one of the world's most dominant tech companies. If Mehta rules that Google has been running an illegal monopoly in search, the punishment could open up new online avenues for consumers and businesses to explore in pursuit of information, entertainment and commerce. The judge can compel Google to open the floodgates so more startups and third-party competitors can put greater competitive pressure on Google, which will create higher quality online services, said Luther Lowe, senior vice president of public policy at Yelp. The online business rev
In which we munch over the week's platter of news and views
The letters, signed by 14 leaders of the Indian National Inclusive Developmental Alliance (INDIA), including Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge, who posted these on X, and party leader Rahul Gandhi
CERT-In has issued a high-severity rated warning cautioning against "multiple vulnerabilities" in popular web browser Google Chrome, which could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code and cause denial of service condition on targeted system. In a vulnerability note issued on Wednesday, the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) said a remote attacker could exploit certain vulnerabilities by sending a specially crafted request on the targeted system, and advised users to "apply appropriate updates as mentioned by the vendor". Giving technical details, it said the software affected are "Google Chrome versions prior to 118.0.5993.70/.71 for Windows" and "Google Chrome versions prior to 118.0.5993.70 for Mac and Linux". "Multiple vulnerabilities have been reported in Google Chrome which could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code and cause denial of Services (DoS) condition on the targeted system," CERT-In said on its website, which lists and updates ..
According to reports, Israel is home to over 500 global companies including Microsoft, Intel, and Google
Since the roll out of passkeys for Google account owners in May, a majority of users have found password-less authentication easier to use compared to traditional sign-in methods - said Google
"I know we are insisting on default, but at the same time I think we should encourage them to have Yahoo as a choice in the pull-down or some other easy option," Pichai wrote
Competition Commission of India (CCI) is probing Google and Apple for alleged unfair business practices, the regulator's Chairperson Ravneet Kaur said on Tuesday. The watchdog had ordered detailed investigations against Google with respect to its alleged abuse of dominance in the smart television segment and in the news content space. Speaking to reporters here, Kaur said the matter related to Google and smart television is under the commission's inquiry. Currently, the investigation is on in the matter of the news publishers' complaint against Google, she said. To another query, Kaur said that Apple is also under investigation. "Once we receive the report from the DG, (and) CCI, we will take action," she added. The regulator had ordered an investigation against Apple for alleged anti-competitive practices with respect to its App Store. The Director General (DG) is the investigation arm of the CCI. Cases where the regulator finds prima facie evidence of anti-competitive practice
Google's advertising auctions require the winner to pay only a penny more than the runner-up
The government has issued notices to social media platforms X, formerly Twitter, YouTube and Telegram to remove child sexual abuse material from their platforms in India, an official statement said on Friday. Minister of State for Electronics and IT, Rajiv Chandrasekhar said if social media intermediaries do not act swiftly, their 'safe harbour' under section 79 of the IT Act would be withdrawn, implying that the platforms can be directly prosecuted under the applicable laws and rules even though the content may have not been uploaded by them. "Ministry of Electronics and IT has issued notices to social media intermediaries X, Youtube and Teleram, warning them to remove Child Sexual Abuse Material (CSAM) from their platforms on the Indian internet. "The notices served to these platforms emphasize the importance of prompt and permanent removal or disabling of access to any CSAM on their platforms," the statement said. The notices also call for the implementation of proactive measure