A day after industry leaders backed the Centre's Agnipath scheme, Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav said they should "walk the talk" by first employing already retired soldiers. Yadav, who is the leader of opposition in the Uttar Pradesh Assembly, alleged that the scheme has been rolled out to train the youth to "secure" industrialists. He also asked the ruling BJP to release a list of the supporters who will be sending their children to the armed forces under the initiative. Yadav's remarks came a day after Mahindra Group chairman Anand Mahindra, RPG Enterprises chairman Harsh Goenka and Biocon Ltd chairperson Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw said the scheme has large potential for the employment of the youth in the corporate sector. The Centre had last week announced its ambitious Agnipath scheme, triggering protests across the country. Under the scheme, the youth aged between 17 and a half years and 21 will be recruited in the Army, Navy and Air Forced on a four-year short-term contractu
Union Minister and former Army Chief General V K Singh (retd) on Tuesday attacked the Congress over its opposition to the Centre's Agnipath recruitment scheme calling it 'politically motivated'
As several parts of the Cachar district of Assam including urban and rural parts of Silchar are totally submerged, the Army, CRPF, BSF, NDRF, SDRF carried out rescue operations in flood-hit areas
The govt has defended Agnipath' saying ex-soldiers will get govt jobs. A Business Standard analysis suggests only 2.4% of ex-servicemen landed a govt job were unable to recruit against reserved quota
Over 500 trains cancelled across India as operations disrupted by protests
Between 32 Central ministries, only 1.60% of the 22,168 positions reserved for veterans have been filled
The Union government has approached top 85 Indian companies including Reliance and Bharat Forge to hire Agniveers once they retire four years later and the feedback has been positive
The Army said 'Agniveers' would form a distinct rank in the Indian Army, which would be different from any other existing ranks
Protests against the Agnipath recruitment scheme continued across India leading to traffic jams and the cancellation of over 500 trains in different divisions
Latest live news updates: From protests against the Centre's Agnipath scheme to Congress leader Rahul Gandhi's ED summon, catch all the latest updates here
Unless the Centre acts fast to tweak the Agnipath recruitment scheme further or withdraw it, the anger could spill over to other age groups in the rural hinterland
Amid violence over the 'Agnipath' scheme, Union minister and former Army chief General V K Singh (retd) slammed the protesters saying if they don't like the new policy for recruitment into the forces
Lt Gen Anil Puri said youths who were involved in arson and violence will not be able to join the three services as a police verification process will be carried out before enrolling anyone
Asserts that concessions made by MoD in the Agnipath scheme were not forced by protests and arson, but because they were already in the works
Former army chief General V K Singh said the Indian Army doesn't conscript soldiers and that aspirants can join of their own volition
Lt Gen Ponappa said the first batch comprising 25,000 personnel will join the training programme in the first and second week of December
While two terrorists were killed in Kupwara as many were eliminated in Kulgam, they said, adding some more terrorists are hiding and operation was still underway in both the areas
As protests and agitations against the Agnipath scheme continue in several parts of country, Lt Gen Anil Puri, Additional Secretary, Dept of Military Affairs, clarified the scheme will be implemented
'Having soldiers on contract is dangerous, and playing with the ambitions and lives of youth is wrong. There is no use of only speaking about Lord Ram, if the youth do not have jobs'
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh met the three service chiefs amid escalating protests against the 'Agnipath' military recruitment scheme in several parts of the country