England vice-captain Ollie Pope said his side won't complain if India offer pitches assisting spin from the first ball itself during their five-match Test tour beginning on January 25, as he believed that it was up to the host country to prepare tracks that suited their players. The 26-year-old Pope, a right-handed middle-order batter, did not shy away from the thought that the nature of pitches will be a hot topic of discussion during the series. There will be a lot of outside noise. And pitches can be a massive talking point. But you have to remember the two teams are playing on the exact same wicket, so we just need to be as well-equipped as we can," Pope was quoted as saying by 'The Guardian'. In England, we might leave more grass on the pitch to suit our amazing seamers, so it's no surprise if India do the same to suit their spinners," he said before England flew out to Abu Dhabi for a training camp ahead of the Test series. The nature of pitches made the headlines recently af
The legendary Clive Lloyd wants to see more Test cricket on the international calendar and prefers a minimum of three red-ball games in a bilateral series. "At the moment probably they're having too many T20s and stuff. I'd like to see a little bit more Test cricket. And if you're playing Test cricket, I'd prefer three Test matches or five," said the former West Indies skipper during the Ekam Awards night here. "I don't think the West Indies should travel to Australia, 12,000 miles, for two Test matches. And it doesn't make sense. Like the other day, it's one-all (in India South Africa series). Now the other Test would have shown who was the better of the two teams." The 79-year-old, who captained West Indies to two World Cup wins in 1975 and 1979, is also concerned that youngsters are focussing more on playing big shots rather than improving their technique. "I've said time and again that T20 is an exhibition, and Test cricket is an examination. Our youngsters seem to be getting t
Uncapped young spinner Tom Hartley feels England have taken a "bit of a punt" by picking him for the Test tour of India but says the conditions will actually suit his bowling and he will look to live up to the expectations. The 24-year-old left-arm spinner is part of the 16-member squad picked by the England board last month for the five-Test series against India, beginning in Hyderabad on January 25. "With the conditions being completely different to English conditions, they've really analysed what has done well in India and what will do well," Hartley told the PA news agency. "It's nice to see people recognise that I might be the bowler to go out in India and do well. When people have confidence in you like that, it's fantastic. "I just feel all that confidence has been passed on to me and I can't wait to go out there. My stats might not be the best in championship cricket but I bowl very similar to Axar and Jadeja. "They're taking a bit of a punt but I feel like I've proved mys
Swann, along with Monty Panesar was the hero of the English team that beat India 2-1 in 2012-13. He is currently with the England Lions in India
Cricket Australia announced the squad for the West Indies Tests on Wednesday, and no recognised opener has been named in the squad.
South African wicketkeeper-batter Heinrich Klaasen has announced his retirement from red-ball cricket, bringing curtains to his brief stint in the format. Having made his debut against India in Ranchi in 2019, the 32-year-old played four matches in his brief Test career with his final outing against the West Indies in Johannesburg last year. He has scored 104 runs at an average of 13.00, while his top score was 35 against Australia in Sydney. Klaassen will continue to be available for the Proteas in white-ball cricket. "After a few sleepless nights wondering if I am making the right decision, I have decided to retire from red ball cricket," he said in a statement. "It's a difficult decision that I have made because it is by far my favourite format of the game." "The battles that I faced on and off the field has made me the cricketer I am today. "It has been a great journey and I am glad I could have represented my country. "My baggy Test cap is the most precious cap I have ever
Former captain Sourav Ganguly on Sunday backed stalwarts Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli to feature in India's squad for the T20I World Cup in June. The duo, who have not featured in any T20I for about 14 months, have made themselves available for the sport's shortest format, and it remains to be seen if they are picked for the three-match T20I series against Afghanistan, beginning January 11 in Mohali. "Of course Rohit should captain the team in the T20I World Cup. Virat Kohli also should be there. Virat Kohli is an outstanding player, nothing will happen (to return after 14 months)," Ganguly added. India's semifinal defeat to England in the T20I World Cup on November 10 was the duo's last appearance in the shortest format. Ganguly is impressed with Yashasvi Jaiswal's outing in the two-Test series in South Africa and said the young opener will get enough opportunities in future. The 22-year-old left-handed batter managed only 50 runs in four innings on the challenging South African
The SA20 has a window of just four weeks and South African Test cricket can not only co-exist but also flourish for the rest of the year, former skipper Graeme Smith said on Sunday. Cricket South Africa (CSA) is sending a second-string Test team under uncapped Neil Brand to New Zealand as the tour coincides with the second season of SA20, in which all six franchises are run by IPL team owners. Can SA20 and South Africa's Test team co-exist? "SA 20 is four weeks a year which we operate on and obviously one or two challenges happen and that's not ideal, that should get better and better every season," Smith, the commissioner of SA20 league, told PTI in an exclusive interaction. The CSA has a 51 percent share in the league and the broadcast money is important for its financial health. "South African cricket has made commitment that SA20 is a big part of its future and gives it a best chance to succeed. I believe it's just four weeks a year and there would be lot of chance to play Tes
On the Proteas' selection for the New Zealand tour, which coincides with the second season of SA20 from January 10 to February 10, the former batter said that Test cricket is under pressure
Ace spinner Ravichandran Ashwin rebutted former England captain Michael Vaughan's claim of India being an underachieving team, saying they have been one of the best travelling sides in contemporary cricket. During a panel discussion in Fox Sports recently, Vaughan had said the Indian cricket team should have achieved more on the field, particularly in the ICC events, considering the resources at their disposal. Michael Vaughan recently made a statement that the Indian team is underachievers. Yes, we haven't won an ICC trophy in a while, and we call ourselves the powerhouse of the game. But that's just one side of the coin, Ashwin said in his YouTube channel. The 37-year-old said India have produced excellent results, especially in Test cricket, around the world in the last few years. Our Test team has been one of the best travelling teams at present. We have seen many great results. After Vaughan made that statement, so many experts from our own country started debating if India is
Australia's star opener David Warner's sparkling Test career came to a conclusion on Saturday at his home stadium with an eight-wicket triumph against Pakistan, capping off a 3-0 series whitewash
Australia's star opener David Warner on Saturday brought down the curtains on his illustrious Test career after playing the farewell innings against Pakistan at the Sydney Cricket Ground
Aamer Jamal has taken 18 wickets and scored 125 runs in the series in five innings of three Tests
India's seven-wicket win over South Africa in the second Test at Cape Town on Thursday was the 25th instance when a Test match ended inside two days, dating back to 1882. This was also the third time India were involved in a two-day Test, with the other two being their match against Afghanistan in Bengaluru in 2018 and against England at Ahmedabad in 2021. Here's the complete list of Tests that ended within two days previously. * England vs Australia, Oval, 1882 It was the ninth Test match in history. Australia were bundled out for 63 but managed to limit England to 101 in their first innings with Fred 'Demon' Spofforth taking seven wickets. The Aussies could only muster 122 with Hugh Massie scoring a 55. England were again humbled by 'Demon' despite WG Grace's 32. Spofforth took seven for 44 as Englishmen were ousted for 77 and conceded a seven-run defeat. * England vs Australia, Lord's, 1888 Australia made 116 and 60 in two innings and then shot out England for 53 and 62 at th
South Africa's decision to send a second-string side for Tests in New Zealand was a "wake-up call", said Cricket Australia chief Nick Hockley, adding that CA will continue to advocate for series containing a minimum of three matches as part of the World Test Championship (WTC). South Africa faced heavy backlash from current and former players after it named a shadow side for the two-Test tour of New Zealand reserving their top players for the the second season of the SA20 -- launched by CSA and IPL investors last year. While the two Tests in New Zealand are scheduled from February 4 to 17, the SA20 is slated to start from January 10. "That's been a wake-up call for everyone," Hockley told SEN. "The role of T20 [in] bringing new kids and new people into the game can't be underestimated. The belief is that the two can coexist. This was suboptimal scheduling," said Hockley. "I think we in Australia - it's very clear that throughout the whole period the Big Bash has been around - have
Having started his Test journey here at the Newlands six summers ago, India pace spearhead Jasprit Bumrah is a touch emotional about the venue, and the icing on the cake was the 'Player-of-the-Series' award after the series-levelling record win over South Africa here on Thursday. Bumrah, who made his Test debut here in 2018, grabbed his second five-wicket haul as India defeated South Africa by seven wickets in the shortest match in Test history, lasting 642 balls. "This ground will always hold a special place in my heart," Bumrah, who was the leading wicket-taker in the two-match series with 12 scalps, said during the post-match presentation. "The journey started here in 2018, always have fond memories. Very happy it went well today. "That journey started in 2018 -- our bowling unit was experienced and we wanted to make an impact. I didn't expect the game to go this fast." Twenty-three wickets tumbled on day one as India were set a paltry target of 79 to level the two-match ...
India vs South Africa 2nd Test Day 2 Highlights: It was the pairing of Mohammed Siraj and Jasprit Bumrah with the ball who bowled Proteas out twice with their five-wicket hauls and helped India win
In the press conference after the first day's play, Prince said that a lot of construction work adjacent to Newlands might have also affected the Cape Town pitch's character.
Former captain Sunil Gavaskar on Wednesday expressed surprise at South African skipper Dean Elgar's decision to bat first in the second Test against India. Elgar's decision backfired as South Africa were bundled out for 55, their lowest total against India. India were on course for a big lead until losing their last six wickets for no run to be all out for 153, limiting their first innings advantage to 98 runs. "Well, I tell you what, I was a bit surprised by what happened," Gavaskar said in his match analysis on Star Sports. "Because a lot of times, captains and coaches make a big deal about what the pitch is gonna be..." Having annihilated India inside three days in the opening Test, South Africa had the perfect opportunity to take the upper hand by inserting them in on a fresh pitch, Gavaskar opined. "I think you've also got to look at the psychology of the Indian team, having been defeated in three days, having batted so poorly in the second innings and going to be batting fir
If a team wants to refer the caught-behind call in the stumping process, it must now separately exercise a DRS option for the caught-behind appeal.