Pahalgam attack: Political leaders expressed support for the government's stance on the Pahalgam terror attack at all-party meeting, but raised concerns over security lapses and preparedness
The Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee postponed a scheduled protest at BJP district headquarters on April 25 in light of the recent terror attack in Pahalgam, Jammu and Kashmir which claimed the lives of 26 people, a statement issued Thursday said. The statement said that the party will hold a candle march across the state to honour the victims of the attack. Party workers will assemble at martyr memorials or statues of national icons to offer prayers for the departed souls, the statement read. The party said the Political Affairs Committee and newly appointed district and city Congress presidents held a meeting on Wednesday and unanimously decided to postpone the Gandhian-style protests against "fake chargesheet" in the National Herald case and "fabricated cases" against its top leadership. However, the party said it was "shocked and deeply saddened" by the "cowardly terrorist attack in Pahalgam" in which 26 people, including foreign nationals, were killed. "In view of the horrific
Congress Working Committee (CWC) condemns Pahalgam terror attack, slams BJP for politicising tragedy; seeks probe into security lapse, urges safety for Amarnath pilgrims
A senior journalist was hospitalised after he was allegedly assaulted while covering a BJP protest over Pahalgam terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir's Kathua district on Wednesday. The journalistic circles have strongly condemned the attack on Dainik Jagran reporter Rakesh Sharma at Kalibari chowk and demanded registration of an FIR against the accused. A purported video of the incident, showing the assault on the scribe, has gone viral on social media. Sharma said he was covering a BJP protest led by legislators Devinder Manyal, Rajiv Jasrotia and Bharat Bhushan when a party activist Himanshu Sharma accused the journalists of speaking the separatist language for raising questions related to security which is the domain of the union home ministry. Manyal was responding in a cordial atmosphere to the questions and said they are writing to the Prime Minister to request for a decisive action against the terrorists but the office bearers of the party were irked when the leaders were ask
Maharashtra Congress president Harshvardhan Sapkal on Tuesday launched a scathing attack on the ruling Mahayuti coalition, accusing it of spending a whopping Rs 150 crore on preparations for a cabinet meeting in Ahilyanagar district. The BJP-led government, however, clarified it had given an advertisement for a tender of works worth Rs 1.5 crore for the proposed cabinet meeting, but the amount was published "incorrectly" as Rs 150 crore. In a post on X, Sapkal attached a tender notice published in newspapers stating that Rs 150 crore will be spent on mandaps (a temporary platform), staging, green rooms, toilets, barricading, sound, air conditioners, electricity, fire brigade and CCTV set up for the meeting. The notice states an e-tender will be floated on April 24. A cabinet meeting is scheduled on April 29 in Chondi, the birthplace of the legendary 18th century Malwa queen Ahilyabai Holkar, whose 300th birth anniversary year is being observed. Last year, the western Maharashtra .
Former Congress MLA Sangram Thopte on Tuesday joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) with his supporters from Bhor taluka in Pune district. Maharashtra BJP chief and state Revenue Minister Chandrashekhar Bawankule and the party's working president Ravindra Chavan welcomed Thopte into the fold. Thopte, who had represented the Bhor constituency in Pune district three times, was defeated by NCP candidate Shankar Mandekar in the 2024 assembly polls. His family is rooted in Congress tradition. Thopte is the son of party veteran Anantrao Thopte, who had represented Bhor six times and was an archrival of NCP (SP) chief Sharad Pawar. Thopte resigned from the party last week. Speaking on the occasion, Thopte said, "I was a hardcore Congressman. I worked for the party and the Maha Vikas Aghadi. But my work and loyalty weren't recognised. My father and I struggled for the party to ensure the Congress ideology reaches the grassroots." He said he had been a Congress loyalist, but the party f
Keeping the heat on the Congress over the National Herald issue, BJP MP Bansuri Swaraj on Tuesday carried a bag with a message about the "loot" in the case as she arrived in Parliament annexe for the committee meeting over the bills proposing simultaneous polls. Her black bag had "National Herald Ki Loot" emblazoned over it in red colour. Congress leaders Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi are accused in the case, with the Enforcement Directorate charging them with money laundering. The Congress has dismissed the allegation as vendetta by the ruling BJP against its top leaders. Former Supreme Court judge Hemant Gupta, former Law Commission of India chairman B S Chauhan and noted lawyer and Congress MP Abhishek Manu Singhvi are among the personalities who will give their views to the Joint Committee of Parliament on simultaneous polls. BJP MP P P Chaudhary is heading the committee.
Deputy Chief Minister Diya Kumari on Monday claimed the BJP's double-engine government in Rajasthan would be in place not just for five years but "forever" and serve the people. Addressing a gathering at the Raghurai Endo Sports Complex here after presenting medals to female wrestlers from across the country participating in the Under-20 National Wrestling Competition, said the state government would strengthen sports facilities and ensure the welfare of the athletes. The competition was inaugurated by LS Speaker Om Birla on Sunday. "I believe such big events will continue to be organised in Rajasthan as a double-engine government has been established in the state and it is not just for five years. The BJP government will always be here forever and serve the people," the deputy chief minister said. She mentioned that the Under-20 National Wrestling Competition in Kota will be a milestone in promoting the sports in the state. She also praised Rajiv Dutta, the president of the Rajast
Former CEC SY Quraishi's comments came in response to BJP MP Nishikant Dubey's remarks, in which he called Quraishi a 'Muslim commissioner' for criticising the controversial Waqf Act
The Supreme Court on Monday called for maintaining "certain decorum and reputation of the institution" after it was informed that a parliamentarian made remarks against the Chief Justice of India. Justices Surya Kant and N Kotiswar Singh made the observation after petitioner advocate Vishal Tiwari sought the permission to withdraw his PIL over hate speeches during violence in West Bengal's Murshidabad district following the amendment to the waqf law. Tiwari was referring to the statements of Jharkhand BJP MP Nishikant Dubey, who said Parliament and assemblies should be shut if the apex court had to make laws. He also blamed Chief Justice of India Sanjiv Khanna for "civil wars" in India. "We should maintain certain decorum and reputation of the institution even in allegations. In Article 32 petition, the averments made should also be respectful," the bench told Tiwari. The bench allowed Tiwari to amend his plea, asking him to bring in court "something concrete". The BJP on April 1
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday said the policies that his government is working on are going to shape the future of the next 1,000 years. Addressing an event organised on the occasion of Civil Services Day here, Modi said the holistic development of India means no village, no family and no citizen is left behind. "The policies we are working on today and the decisions we are making are going to shape the future of the next 1,000 years," he said. Modi said India's aspirational society --? youths, farmers and women --? and its dreams are soaring to unprecedented heights. "To fulfil these extraordinary aspirations, extraordinary speed is essential," he said. The prime minister said quality in governance is determined by how deeply schemes reach the people and their real impact on the ground. In the past 10 years, he said, India has moved beyond incremental change to witness impactful transformation. "India is setting new benchmarks in governance, transparency and innovation
The Aam Aadmi Party has decided to abstain from the mayoral polls, saying that the BJP should rule Delhi without any excuses
A court here on Monday extended the stay on further investigation into Law Minister Kapil Mishra's alleged role in the 2020 northeast Delhi riots till May 7. Special Judge Kaveri Baweja passed the order after she was told that the notice issued by the court to some of the respondents on April 9 could not be served. On April 9, the judge stayed the probe against Mishra till April 21 on an application filed by the minister against a magisterial court order. Judge Baweja issued notice to Ilyas and others on April 9 and directed them to respond by April 21. Senior advocate P K Dubey appeared for Mishra and Special Public Prosecutor Amit Prasad represented Delhi Police. Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate (ACJM) Vaibhav Chaurasia said on April 1 that a cognisable offence was "prima facie" found that needed to be investigated. "It is clear that Mishra was in the area at the time of alleged offence. Further probe required," the magistrate said. He was hearing arguments on a plea filed
BJP MP Nishikant Dubey's remarks came in response to a post in which former Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi called the Waqf Amendment Act an "evil plan of the government"
Top Congress leaders will fan out across the country to hold press conferences between April 21 and 24 to "expose the BJP's lies" in the National Herald case, its media and publicity department head Pawan Khera said on Sunday. He described the National Herald publication as a "living monument of the freedom struggle". The opposition party has been ramping up efforts to blunt the BJP's mounting attack against it in the wake of the Enforcement Directorate naming former Congress chiefs Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi in its chargesheet in the National Herald case of alleged money laundering. Congress workers across the country held protests over the issue in the past week. Its general secretaries and in-charges in various states met in Delhi on Saturday to chalk out strategy to counter the "politically motivated" charges. Asserting that no crime has been committed by the Congress leadership in the case, the party said on Saturday that it would hold press conferences across the country f
Tensions have remained high following the eruption of violence in Murshidabad over the Waqf (Amendment) Act, 2025
The Congress government in Himachal Pradesh lashed out at Union Health Minister J P Nadda on Sunday over his claim about the non-utilisation of Central funds for building a medical device park in the state, terming it an attempt at "misleading" people. Earlier in the day, Nadda, who also the BJP's national president, chastised Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu dispensation in the state as the "most corrupt" and claimed that it had returned to the Centre a sum of Rs 25 crore allocated for the construction of a medical device park. Also, the state government failed to utilise Rs 225 crore released till 2023 out of the Rs 1,000 crore allocated to the state for a bulk drug park, he has alleged. Reacting to the accusations, Himachal Pradesh Industries Minister Harshwardhan Chauhan and Technical Education Minister Rajesh Dharmani, in a joint press conference, underlined that the Congress government has decided to execute the project independently. The Himachal Pradesh government has not cancelled t
Several opposition leaders are demanding contempt proceedings against Nishikant Dubey, saying his remarks have undermined the judiciary. But can a sitting MP be charged under the Act?
With the party expected to soon elect his successor, BJP chief J P Nadda on Sunday ruled out a return to Himchal Pradesh politics. "I am in a responsible position and there is no possibility of coming back to the state," Nadda, who was elected BJP's national president in February 2020 and has been on an extension since his three-year term ended, said at a press conference here. The BJP is in the process of picking the chiefs of several state units in the coming days to pave the way for the election of its national president, sources said earlier this week. Once the appointment is made in some of the states, the process for electing Nadda's replacement will begin soon, a party leader had said. The state BJP president would be elected soon, Nadda said while replying to a question on Sunday. He attacked the Himachal Government, alleging that it was the "most corrupt" among the Congress governments in the country. Nadda claimed that the Congress government in the state has given ...
Banerjee alleged that certain groups were using the backdrop of an unfortunate incident" to promote a divisive agenda