)
A day earlier, Iran said it had reviewed the ceasefire framework proposed by Trump but found the terms unacceptable
Commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy, Alireza Tangsiri was responsible for the closure of the Strait of Hormuz
The attack, just outside Turkish territorial waters, likely aimed to disable the engine room in the Sierra Leone-flagged vessel that was carrying Russian oil
Iran and the United States hardened their positions as diplomacy aimed at reaching a ceasefire in the war in the Middle East appeared to be faltering on Thursday. Tehran moved to formalise its control over the crucial Strait of Hormuz while Washington prepared for the arrival of US combat forces in the region that could be used on the ground in the Islamic Republic. Iran is instituting a "de facto toll booth' regime", industry experts say, with some ships paying in Chinese yuan to pass through the strait, where 20 per cent of all traded oil and natural gas is transported in peacetime. Meanwhile, a strike group anchored by the amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli drew closer to the Mideast with some 2,500 Marines. Also, at least 1,000 paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne have been ordered to the region. The troop movements don't guarantee US President Donald Trump will try to use force to compel Iran to open the strait and halt its attacks on Gulf Arab states. Trump previously deploy
The ongoing conflict in West Asia has severely disrupted India's premium basmati rice exports, causing significant losses to traders and threatening the livelihoods of farmers.According to a Bhopal-based businessman, consignments of Premium 1121 Basmati rice are currently stuck at ports, with payments worth Rs 2,000 crore to Rs 25,000 crore pending.A businessman from Bhopal speaking to ANI said, "...The Premium 1121 Basmati rice, which we used to export, is currently being held at the ports. If this situation continues, Indian traders will face significant losses. Our payments, ranging from Rs 2,000 crores to Rs 25,000 crores, are pending and have not been received, causing difficulties for the traders. The government is currently taking its own measures, and if the situation persists, farmers will also face problems in the future...."On Wednesday, an all-party meeting, convened by the government on the West Asia crisis, was held. The meeting was chaired by Defence Minister Rajnath ...
Nuclear power is getting a second look in Southeast Asia as countries prepare to meet surging energy demand as they vie for artificial intelligence-focused data centres. Several Southeast Asian nations are reviving mothballed nuclear plans and setting ambitious targets and nearly half of the region could, if they pursue those goals, have nuclear energy in the 2030s. Even countries without current plans have signaled their interest. Southeast Asia has never produced a single watt of nuclear energy, despite long-held atomic ambitions. But that may soon change as pressure mounts to reduce emissions that contribute to climate change, while meeting growing power needs. The Iran war is underscoring the vulnerability of Asia's energy supplies, raising the sense of urgency about finding alternatives to oil and gas in Southeast Asia, analysts say. The surge in crude oil prices caused by the escalating conflict has raised the motivation for countries to speed up their nuclear efforts, said .
The West Asia crisis has pushed freight costs for Europe-bound cargo up by 60-80 per cent, with exports falling by as much as 50 per cent for some exporters while hundreds of containers got stranded at Kolkata port, industry representatives said on Thursday. Calcutta Customs House Agents Association (CCHAA) president Mannu Choudhary told PTI that freight charges have risen by over 40 per cent due to rerouting through the African route, while war surcharges imposed by shipping lines have taken the total cost escalation to 70-80 per cent for shipments to Europe and the US. Exporters also complained of a shortage of containers. "Shipping lines are denying freight details to exporters, who are now waiting. No fresh containers are being accepted by shipping lines," he said. Choudhary said around 600 containers that had entered Kolkata port for loading were being returned to the city following last-minute cargo cancellations. Of these, around 400 have already been taken back, while the
Asian stocks were mostly lower and oil prices gained on Thursday as a de-escalation of the Iran war remained uncertain. US futures were down 0.1 per cent. Tokyo's Nikkei 225 was trading 0.3 per cent lower at 53,607.75. South Korea's Kospi lost 1.9 per cent to 5,537.30. Hong Kong's Hang Seng fell 1.4 per cent to 24,978.71, while the Shanghai Composite index was down 0.6 per cent to 3,909.16. Australia's S&P/ASX 200 edged down 0.2 per cent, while Taiwan's Taiex was trading 0.4 per cent higher. Oil prices were up again on Thursday after an earlier dip. Brent crude, the international standard, rose 1.3 per cent to USD 98.51 per barrel. It was below USD 95 on Wednesday. Benchmark US crude was 1.6 per cent higher at USD 91.75 a barrel. The rise in oil prices came as Tehran on Wednesday dismissed a ceasefire plan by the US, after the administration of US President Donald Trump offered a 15-point proposal to Iran and Trump this week delayed a self-imposed deadline to "obliterate" its ...
The narrow waterway has been all but closed since US and Israeli strikes on Iran began almost a month ago, and has become a focal point of the war
Iranian Navy issued another direct warning to the United States, stating that its aircraft carrier, the USS Abraham Lincoln, is being closely monitored and faces potential strikes
The refiner will share the shipment with its state-owned peers Bharat Petroleum Corp Ltd and Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd
Brent futures rose $1.13, or 1.1 per cent, to $103.35 a barrel by 0051 GMT, while US West Texas Intermediate crude futures were up $1.08, or 1.2 per cent, at $91.40 a barrel
US forces have hit more than 10,000 targets so far in the Iran war, the head of the American military's Central Command said. US Navy Adm. Brad Cooper made the comments in a video released early Thursday by Central Command. "If you combine what we've accomplished with the success of our Israeli ally, together, we have struck thousands more," Cooper said. "Our precision strikes have overwhelmed Iranian air defences and our combat flights are having tangible effects." Cooper added that the US has destroyed 92 per cent of "the Iranian navy's largest vessels." "They've now lost the ability to meaningly project naval power and influence around the region and around the world," Cooper said. Iran maintains its chokehold on the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow mouth of the Persian Gulf, through drone and missile attacks on shipping, however. Cooper also said the US has struck over two-thirds of Iran's munitions plants. "Today, we have damaged or destroyed over two-thirds of Iran's missile,
The 2,000 paratroopers heading to the region may give President Trump more leverage in negotiations, but they also leave him with the option of doubling down on military force
Some people booked on Gulf carriers have described hours on hold to reach customer service, repeated cancellations with little explanation and automatic refunds without rebooking options
Iran has publicly rejected Trump's diplomatic outreach and threatened massive retaliation if the US does put boots on the ground in a bid to break Tehran's will
Trump, while delivering remarks at the NRCC Annual Fundraising Dinner, said that there has never been a head of a country who wanted that job less than being the head of Iran
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Thursday said that they have permitted the passage of vessels for friendly countries, including India, through the Strait of Hormuz.Consulate General of Iran in Mumbai said in a post, "Iran FM Abbas Araghchi: We permitted passage through the Strait of Hormuz for friendly nations including China, Russia, India, Iraq, and Pakistan."This follows comments by the Secretary-General of the UN, Antonio Guterres, who called for the opening of the Strait of Hormuz.In a post on X, he said, "The prolonged closure of the Strait of Hormuz is choking the movement of oil, gas, & fertilizer at a critical moment in the global planting season. Across the region & beyond, civilians are enduring serious harm & living under profound insecurity. The UN is working to minimise the consequences of the war. And the best way to minimise those consequences is clear: End the war - immediately."Guterres urged the US and Israel to end the war in West ...
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said his government has not engaged in talks to end the war, "and we do not plan on any negotiations". His remark came during an interview with the Iranian state TV on Wednesday. The Islamic Republic dismissed an American plan to pause the war in the Middle East and launched more attacks on Israel and Gulf Arab countries, including an assault that sparked a huge fire at Kuwait International Airport. Iran's defiance came as Israel launched airstrikes on Tehran and as the United States deployed paratroopers and more Marines to the region. Earlier, two officials from Pakistan, which transmitted the US plan to Iran, described the 15-point proposal broadly, saying it addressed sanctions relief, a rollback of Iran's nuclear programme, limits on missiles and reopening the Strait of Hormuz, through which a fifth of the world's oil is shipped. An Egyptian official involved in the mediation efforts said the proposal also includes restrictions on Iran'
US President Donald Trump will travel to China on May 14 and 15 for a rescheduled summit with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping, the White House announced on Wednesday. Trump, who was earlier scheduled to travel to Beijing by the end of this month, postponed his trip due to the war in Iran. Announcing Trump's "long-awaited" trip to China, White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said the US president and First Lady Melania will also host President Xi and his wife, Peng Liyuan, for a reciprocal visit to Washington DC at a later date this year. Responding to a question if the two leaders spoke about the conclusion of the war as a precondition to reschedule this meeting, she answered there was no discussion about the rescheduling of the meeting between the president and Xi. "President Xi understood that it's very important for the president to be here throughout the region right now. He understood, obviously, the request to postpone and accept it, which is why we have a meeting,"