Discuss our trauma in Parliament too, the families of four Delhi Police personnel injured in the July 20 CJP-led march to Parliament said on Friday while stressing that the discourse so far has largely centred on allegations of police excesses. Seeking to tell "their side" of the violence that broke out during the 'Sansad Chalo' march, they pressed for a discussion in Parliament on the injuries suffered by policemen on duty and the trauma endured by their families, saying the conversation so far had focused mainly on charges against the force. Addressing a press conference at the Constitution Club of India, the wife of an ACP, the wife of an ASI, and the children of two injured police officers recounted the hours they spent waiting for phone calls from hospitals, seeing bloodied family members return home and, later, watching social media narratives that they felt overlooked the injuries sustained by the police personnel. Recalling the night her husband returned home injured, Upneet
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Friday accused Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah of threatening Gen Z, and said that the duo is "India's past" and should be careful about how they treat the country's future. The Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha also alleged that Modi and Shah are behind the filing of FIRs against student protesters and taking down their social media accounts. "PM Modi and Amit Shah you cannot threaten Gen Z into silence. First you broke their bones. Now you are filing FIRs and taking down their accounts," Gandhi said on X. "You are India's past. Be careful about how you treat India's future," the former Congress chief said. The remarks came after Modi on Thursday said it has become necessary to bring comprehensive reforms in the education system, both at the Centre and in the states, to tackle the menace of paper leaks, asserting that there would be no mercy shown to gangs playing with the future of children. In a late evening video ..
The protests revived old anthems, inspired new rap tracks, and showed how music continues to shape political expression across generations
India's police strength has risen since 2014, yet crime rates have increased, highlighting gaps in policing, public safety and internal security outcomes
Trade unions and farmer groups will hold nationwide protests on August 10, demanding repeal of labour codes, a legal MSP guarantee and higher minimum wages
The Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) on Tuesday warned of launching a fresh nationwide agitation if the government failed to honour its commitment to withdraw FIRs against protesters and prevent any punitive action, alleging that the Supreme Court's recent interim order could be used to target students. In a statement, CJP chief spokesperson Saurav Das said Direction No 4 in the apex court's interim order in a batch of PILs related to the CJP protest, which permits governments to proceed with existing FIRs and investigations, was contrary to the assurances given by the Centre during talks that led to the end of the 36-day agitation. "This direction stands in direct contradiction to the solemn assurance and guarantee extended by the Government of India to the youth of this nation on July 25, namely, that the FIRs would be withdrawn and that no protester would be directly or indirectly targeted for participating in the peaceful movement," Das said. He said the CJP had withdrawn its ...
A city court on Tuesday granted bail to 18 people, after initially remanding them to two days of judicial custody, who were arrested in connection with violence during a NEET paper leak protest by the Left students' organisations. Several journalists were injured when some people attacked them during the march from Sealdah station to Esplanade in central Kolkata on July 24. The court granted bail to all 18 people arrested in connection with violence during the NEET paper leak protest by the Left students' organisations. Sixteen were arrested earlier, while two others were apprehended by the police on Monday. The Chief Metropolitan Magistrate's Court had earlier in the day remanded the arrested persons in connection with violence during a NEET paper leak protest by the Left students' organisations to judicial custody till July 30. The accused persons were represented by lawyers Shamim Ahmed, Raja Sengupta, Yasin Rahaman, Sanjay Kumar Gupta and other advocates. Following Friday's u
The outrage over GenZ memes says less about young protesters than authority's perennial discomfort with unfamiliar forms of political expression
The move came after the CJP threatened to resume nationwide protests if the Centre failed to provide written assurances on withdrawing FIRs and ending action against demonstrators
An official record of the police action taken during the July 20 'Sansad Chalo' march by protesters on the NEET issue has stated that the RAF fired multiple rounds of non-lethal munitions, including two rounds of plastic pellets, while controlling the mob at one location near Jantar Mantar, officials said on Monday. The incident has been recorded on July 22 at 1:24 PM in the general diary entry of the Parliament Street police station on the information of a Deputy Commandant of the Rapid Action Force (RAF) stating the blue dungaree donning force was on duty in the Zone 1 of the Jantar Mantar area along with a Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) rank officer of the Delhi Police, officials told PTI. On the directions of the DCP, according to the officials quoting the police station record, the RAF fired 55 non-electrical shells, 15 electrical shells, five tear smoke grenades, two rounds from the anti-riot guns and two rounds of plastic pellets on July 20. Officials said one round of t
Rajya Sabha proceedings were adjourned on Monday following protests from Opposition parties demanding a statement from Home Minister Amit Shah over alleged police brutality against students protesting the NEET paper leak in the national capital. When the Upper House assembled at 5.15 pm after four successive adjournments since morning, Opposition parties led by the Congress continued their protest demanding a statement from the Home Minister. Parliament Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju said the government is ready for discussions on the issue and appealed to the Congress leader to discuss the Public Examinations (Prevention of Unfair Means) Amendment Bill, 2026. "Such an important Bill has been brought forward. We appealed to Congress yesterday, we have been appealing to them since this morning, but they are not agreeing," said Rijiju. The government, which has moved the Bill in the Lok Sabha on Monday, has allotted time for discussions. "Here, too, as the Opposition party wanted, th
Delhi-based transport bodies have announced a protest march to the Parliament on August 4 demanding withdrawal ethanol-blended petrol. The call has been given by the Delhi Taxi and Tourist Transporters and Tour Operators Association and others. "We are planning to hold a protest march to Parliament on August 4 against ethanol blended petrol demanding its withdrawal. We want to give a wake-up call to the member of parliaments who are sleeping till now on this issue, as the problems in vehicles from the ethanol blending are coming from across the country," Sanjay Samrat, president, Delhi Taxi and Tourist Transporters and Tour Operators Association, said. "We do not want to make this a political issue, and are not associated with any 'E-20 Janta Party' or Cockroach Janta Party or any other political party," Samrat added, referring to the online movement against the E20 fuel, a blend of 20 per cent ethanol and 80 per cent petrol. Harish Sabharwal, national president, All India Motor ..
The Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) on Monday expressed concern over reports that students and other protesters were being detained or arrested in Assam, West Bengal and Bihar despite Centre's assurance that no punitive action would be taken against those who participated in the recent nationwide agitation. The statement, shared on X by CJP spokesperson Saurav Das, comes days after the outfit called off its 36-day protest after the Centre accepted its principal demand for the resignation of former education minister Dharmendra Pradhan, with Union ministers J P Nadda and Jitendra Singh assuring that no action would be taken against peaceful protesters. The agitation, which began June 20 over alleged examination irregularities, had culminated in a 26-day hunger strike by Sonam Wangchuk before it was withdrawn after the government's assurances. In the statement issued Monday, the CJP said it had received "multiple reports" of students and other protesters being "targeted, detained, or ...
All 18 Delhi Metro stations in central Delhi, which had remained shut due to security reasons, reopened on Saturday after the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) withdrew its protest, ending four days of restrictions. In a post on X, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) announced that all metro stations were now open and normal entry and exit had resumed. The stations reopened after Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan resigned, after which the CJP announced the withdrawal of its protest and demonstrators began dispersing from the Jantar Mantar area. The stations that had remained closed over the past four days were Lok Kalyan Marg, Rajiv Chowk, Patel Chowk, Ramakrishna Ashram Marg, Barakhambha Road, Supreme Court, Seva Teerth, Janpath, Mandi House, Central Secretariat, ITO, Delhi Gate, Indraprastha, Khan Market, Jor Bagh, Shivaji Stadium, Jhandewalan and New Delhi. The stations had been shut due to security arrangements in central Delhi amid the CJP protest, which drew large ...
Patriotic songs, drumbeats and chants of "Vande Mataram" echoed through Jantar Mantar on Saturday as thousands of protesters erupted in celebration after Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan resigned over the NEET paper leak, calling it the first major victory of their weeks-long agitation. The celebration continued even as, just after the meeting with Union ministers, the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) spokespersons said the agitation was being withdrawn with the government accepting all demands put forth by the outfit. The protest site, which witnessed clashes, tear gas and injuries just days earlier, transformed into a scene of jubilation as protesters hugged one another, waved the tricolour, danced in circles to the song 'Chak De! India' and beat daflis while chanting slogans celebrating democracy and student unity. Many held aloft portraits of Dr B R Ambedkar, while others recorded videos recreating a popular social media meme by pointing first to Pradhan's resignation lett
The announcement came after another round of talks between CJP representatives and Union ministers Jitendra Singh and J P Nadda at Vithalbhai Patel House
An FIR registered regarding the July 20 violence near Kartavya Path during the CJP's "Sansad Chalo" rally invokes 13 charges, including attempt to murder, with Delhi Police sources alleging that protesters attacked personnel with the intention of killing them while trying to breach security barricades. According to the FIR, registered at the Kartavya Path police station based on an inspector's complaint, a large group of protesters attempted to break through police barricades erected to prevent them from entering the high-security zone around Parliament. It details police's account of the clashes that took place on Rafi Marg during a protest march towards Parliament. When stopped, protesters allegedly hurled stones, slippers and other objects at police personnel and physically assaulted them, leaving several officers injured, police sources said. The FIR also accuses the protesters of damaging government property, including police vehicles, during the violence. According to official
Citing 'deep anguish' over the ongoing protests, Dharmendra Pradhan said he has submitted his resignation to PM Modi amid sustained student agitations and mounting political pressure
After meeting protesters, Rahul Gandhi accused Centre of failing students and reiterated demands for Pradhan's resignation, punishment for those behind police action and sought PM Modi's apology
Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) founder Abhijeet Dipke on Saturday said he had been diagnosed with typhoid but vowed that his illness would not slow the movement seeking Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan's resignation. In a video message shared on social media, Dipke said he had been unwell for the past few days and was currently undergoing treatment. Despite his illness, he thanked CJP supporters for keeping the protests alive across the country and said that the movement would achieve its objective. "As you know, I have been unwell for the last few days. The reports are out and I have been diagnosed with typhoid," he said. Dipke said he was undergoing treatment and receiving intravenous medication. "The treatment is going on. I am getting IV drips every day. But I want to thank all the cockroaches who are protesting peacefully across the country," he said. Congratulating supporters for expanding the movement, Dipke said he believed sustained peaceful protests would help t