Thursday, August 20, 2026 | 08:33 PM ISTहिंदी में पढें
Business Standard
Notification Icon
userprofile IconSearch

Page 4 - Protest

Delhi Police tighten security with extra barricades for weekend protests

Security arrangements have been intensified further across the national capital ahead of the weekend, with Delhi Police installing additional layers of barricades at key locations and reinforcing them with heavy-duty chains to prevent attempts to breach security cordons, officials said on Saturday. The move follows the raging protest in Delhi by the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), demanding reforms in the examination system and the resignation of Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan over the NEET paper leak, with police expecting a larger turnout of protesters through the weekend. According to police sources, multiple rows of iron barricades have been placed on the sensitive stretches in the New Delhi district, particularly in and around the Jantar Mantar protest site and other strategic locations. "Extra layers of barricading have been put in place at the vulnerable points, which have been chained together and welded so that they cannot be dismantled or shifted easily. Additional for

Delhi Police tighten security with extra barricades for weekend protests
Updated On : 25 Jul 2026 | 10:28 AM IST

Best of BS Opinion: Nationwide youth protests push govt on to the backfoot

Shyam Saran and Shekhar Gupta examine the crisis in education, R Gopalakrishnan calls for a new enterprise model, and Devangshu Datta weighs social media age bans

Best of BS Opinion: Nationwide youth protests push govt on to the backfoot
Updated On : 25 Jul 2026 | 6:15 AM IST

DMRC reopens entry gates at 2 stations, 15 still shut over security reasons

Entry gates at Mandi House and Central Secretariat metro stations were reopened on Friday evening, but 15 other stations in central Delhi continued to remain closed for the third consecutive day over security concerns amid the ongoing Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) protest near Jantar Mantar. On Friday morning, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) announced that 17 stations -- Lok Kalyan Marg, Rajiv Chowk, Patel Chowk, Ramakrishna Ashram Marg, Barakhambha Road, Supreme Court, Seva Teerth, Janpath, Mandi House, Central Secretariat, ITO, Delhi Gate, Indraprastha, Khan Market, Jor Bagh, Shivaji Stadium and Jhandewalan -- would remain closed from 7.30 am until further orders. Hours later, the 18th -- the New Delhi metro station -- was also closed. At Janpath metro station, the closest station to the protest site at Jantar Mantar, glass panels at the entry were covered with newspapers by CISF personnel as protesters had drawn graffiti across parts of the protest venue. The interchange ..

DMRC reopens entry gates at 2 stations, 15 still shut over security reasons
Updated On : 24 Jul 2026 | 11:40 PM IST

Metro station closures amid Jantar Mantar protest spark commuter backlash

Repeated closures of metro stations and transport disruptions imposed by authorities in response to the Jantar Mantar protest have triggered backlash from commuters, who took to social media to question why thousands of daily travellers were being inconvenienced. This comes amid the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) announcing on Friday the closure of the New Delhi metro station till further orders, adding to the disruption caused by the shutdown of 17 metro stations in central Delhi for the third consecutive day. The DMRC said in a post on X that the New Delhi metro station had been closed till further instructions and that no interchange facility would be available at the station. The latest closure comes even as 17 metro stations in central Delhi remained shut from 7.30 am on Friday due to security reasons. The closure of the New Delhi metro station, a key interchange connecting the Yellow Line and the Airport Express Line and providing direct access to the New Delhi Railway .

Metro station closures amid Jantar Mantar protest spark commuter backlash
Updated On : 24 Jul 2026 | 3:56 PM IST

Centre, CJP hold crucial third round of talks on exam irregularities

A crucial meeting between the representatives of the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) and the government was underway at the Vithalbhai Patel House here on Friday as part of efforts to find an amicable solution to the outfit's demands related to exam irregularities. While the government was represented by Union Health Minister JP Nadda and Minister of State for PMO Jitendra Singh, the CJP was represented by its national spokesperson Saurav Das and another youth. This was the third official meeting between the CJP and the government. Nadda and Das, along with another CJP spokesperson, Ashutosh Ranka, had attended two back-to-back meetings on July 20 at the minister's residence. The meeting is taking place hours after activist Sonam Wangchuk ended his 26-day hunger strike late on Thursday night following government assurances on his key demands. The CJP had earlier declined the government's invitation to hold talks at a minister's residence or office, insisting that discussions should ta

Centre, CJP hold crucial third round of talks on exam irregularities
Updated On : 24 Jul 2026 | 2:47 PM IST

Media falsely reported I refused urgent hearing on CJP protests: CJI Kant

CJI Surya Kant said no petition alleging police excesses against student protesters was filed and termed media reports claiming he denied an urgent hearing as false

Media falsely reported I refused urgent hearing on CJP protests: CJI Kant
Updated On : 24 Jul 2026 | 1:19 PM IST

From Gen Z to Boomers, support pours in for Jantar Mantar protest

As the protest over paper leak at Jantar Mantar entered its seventh week on Friday, the movement that began with students is increasingly drawing support from an unlikely quarter -- senior citizens, who say they have joined the agitation because the issue concerns the future of the country's youth. Amid hundreds of Gen Z protesters camping at the site, people in their 50s, 60s and even 70s were seen sitting alongside students, raising slogans, attending meetings and lending support to the demand for reforms in public examinations. Dev Nath Maurya, a 64-year-old farmer from Uttar Pradesh's Raebareli, said he travelled for nearly 12 hours with a group of around 30 people to reach the national capital. "We have not come here for today; we have come here for this country's future. These young kids are our future. What face will I show to my grandchildren when they ask what I was doing while the young ones were trying to bring education reforms?" Maurya told PTI. Ram Avtaar, also in his

From Gen Z to Boomers, support pours in for Jantar Mantar protest
Updated On : 24 Jul 2026 | 1:11 PM IST

CJP set to hold talks with govt after Wangchuk ends hunger strike

The government and the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) are set to hold talks on Friday at the Constitution Club of India here after the Centre "agreed" to the outfit's request that the meeting be held at a neutral venue. There was no official confirmation from the government on it so far. The development comes hours after activist Sonam Wangchuk ended his 26-day hunger strike late on Thursday night following government assurances on his key demands. The meeting is likely to be held around 12.30 pm. CJP national spokesperson Saurav Das said the outfit welcomed the government's decision to "accept its request for a neutral venue". "A discussion has been called. We are very happy that the government has agreed to our request that the meeting should be held at a neutral venue, and the Constitution Club of India has been chosen," Das told reporters. "I hope the government comes with an open mind and listens to the people," he said. The CJP had earlier declined the government's invitation

CJP set to hold talks with govt after Wangchuk ends hunger strike
Updated On : 24 Jul 2026 | 10:31 AM IST

Removing Dharmendra Pradhan is the 'strictest action': CJP to PM Modi

The Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) has said the "strictest action" the government could take against examination irregularities was to remove Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, reacting to Prime Minister Narendra Modi's announcement that a bill providing for stringent action against paper leaks would be introduced in Parliament. CJP national spokesperson Ashutosh Ranka, in response to the prime minister's remarks, said, "Modi ji, remove Dharmendra Pradhan tomorrow. That's the strictest action you can take." CJP founder Abhijeet Dipke also reacted to the prime minister's announcement by taking to X to share an image of a man locking the gate of a compound with no boundary walls, in an apparent swipe at the proposed legislation. Prime Minister Modi announced on Thursday that a bill providing for strong action against paper leaks would be introduced in Parliament next week after being cleared by the Union Cabinet. He said the government had already taken several steps after ...

Removing Dharmendra Pradhan is the 'strictest action': CJP to PM Modi
Updated On : 24 Jul 2026 | 8:24 AM IST

Jantar Mantar protest to continue until Dharmendra Pradhan resigns: CJP

The Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) said it was "relieved and grateful" that activist Sonam Wangchuk had ended his 26-day hunger strike, but asserted that its peaceful protest at Delhi's Jantar Mantar would continue until Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan resigns. In a post on X, CJP founder Abhijeet Dipke thanked Wangchuk for his "extraordinary courage and sacrifice". "We are relieved and grateful that Sonam sir has ended his hunger strike after 26 days. Thank you, sir, for your extraordinary courage and sacrifice. By putting your own life on the line, you awakened the conscience of an entire nation. Your life is far too precious to this country," Dipke said. He added, "The Cockroach Janta Party's peaceful protest at Jantar Mantar will continue until Dharmendra Pradhan resigns." Wangchuk ended his indefinite hunger strike late on Thursday after the Centre assured him that it would not initiate action against peaceful protesters and would consider his key demands regarding ..

Jantar Mantar protest to continue until Dharmendra Pradhan resigns: CJP
Updated On : 24 Jul 2026 | 8:18 AM IST

Pak-based social media handles spreading rumours amid CJP protests: Police

The Delhi Police on Thursday claimed it has identified more than 480 Pakistan-based social media handles allegedly involved in spreading misinformation amid the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) protest at Jantar Martar, saying the same accounts had been active during Operation Sindoor. In a post on social media, a Delhi Police official said Pakistan-based social media handles were taking advantage of the prevailing situation to circulate rumours, fake posts and edited videos with the intent of instigating people, particularly students. "We have noticed that misinformation is being circulated on various social media platforms. So far, we have identified over 480 Pakistani social media handles that are taking advantage of the current situation to spread rumours. We are getting these handles blocked. These are the same handles which were active during Operation Sindoor," the officer said. The officer said the primary objective of these accounts is to spread misinformation and provoke peopl

Pak-based social media handles spreading rumours amid CJP protests: Police
Updated On : 24 Jul 2026 | 8:03 AM IST

CJP calls for nationwide protest on July 24 against police brutality

The Cockroach Janta Party has called for nationwide protests on July 24 against alleged police brutality, urging student unions and organisations to coordinate demonstrations in their cities

CJP calls for nationwide protest on July 24 against police brutality
Updated On : 23 Jul 2026 | 9:07 PM IST

May cancel passport of CJP protestors involved in violence: Delhi Police

Delhi Police is identifying suspects through CCTV and other video evidence, and those found to have participated in violence during the CJP protest may face passport cancellation

May cancel passport of CJP protestors involved in violence: Delhi Police
Updated On : 23 Jul 2026 | 8:20 PM IST

PM takes credit for 'going to Mars', must now take responsibility: Priyanka

Congress leader Priyanka Gandhi Vadra launched a scathing attack on Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday over students' protest, saying he takes credit for "going to Mars", so now it is time for him to take responsibility for his actions. Speaking with reporters in Parliament House complex, she said the prime minister has posted on social media that he cares for children when just last night he got them "teargassed and beaten up". "Have you ever seen in the history of our democracy that MPs from the ruling side are standing outside and protesting. Since how many sessions is this going on and they are not able to run this ( Parliament session). What is happening outside. He is weak and coward," she said, attacking the prime minister. Asked about reports of internet being shut down in certain areas of central Delhi, Priyanka Gandhi said, "Are we living in a democracy? Think about it, children are protesting...they have cut the internet, what are they doing? Students are not ...

PM takes credit for 'going to Mars', must now take responsibility: Priyanka
Updated On : 23 Jul 2026 | 2:40 PM IST

Nadda invites CJP for talks, protesters refuse citing neutral venue demand

Union minister J P Nadda on Thursday invited the Cockroach Janata Party (CJP) for talks, but its leaders turned down the proposal, sources said. On Wednesday too, the CJP had been invited for talks with Nadda, but it turned down the invitation, saying it will hold talks with the government only at a neutral venue. "An invitation was sent to the CJP by J P Nadda for talks today, but those sitting on the stage at the protest site turned down the invitation," a source told PTI. Addressing a press briefing at the Jantar Mantar, where the CJP has been camping since last month demanding accountability over the NEET paper 'leak' and resignation of Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, its chief spokesperson Saurav Das said police informed them on Thursday morning that Nadda invited them to his residence for a discussion. "We refused to go to anyone's house or office. The people's court is here. Ministers should come among the people. If they want to talk, it should be held at the Jantar

Nadda invites CJP for talks, protesters refuse citing neutral venue demand
Updated On : 23 Jul 2026 | 2:06 PM IST

Anna Hazare undertakes 'maun andolan' to support protesting students

Social activist Anna Hazare on Thursday observed a two-hour-long maun andolan (silent protest) at Ahilyanagar in Maharashtra to extend his support for protesting students in Delhi. "Anna began his protest at 11 am and ended it at 1 pm," the social activist's aide Datta Awari told PTI. Hazare, who held the protest at the Mahatma Gandhi statue in Ahilyanagar, later left for his village Ralegan Siddhi, located in the same district. Hazare wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday saying "the news ofviolence and police actionis extremely painful". In a letter to Modi, Hazare said the resentment of the protesters must be viewed "not as a law and order problem, but as the agony and expectations of society". If Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan is asked to resign, "it will not cause the government to fall; rather, it willmake its functioning more accountable and effective", Hazare wrote. He requested the government to "listen to (the protesters) patiently, create an .

Anna Hazare undertakes 'maun andolan' to support protesting students
Updated On : 23 Jul 2026 | 1:46 PM IST

Delhi HC agrees to hear PIL seeking probe into CJP protest on July 24

The Delhi High Court has agreed to hear on Friday a public interest litigation seeking a probe into the Cockroach Janta Party-led protest over alleged examination irregularities at Jantar Mantar here. The counsel for the petitioner mentioned the PIL before a bench of Chief Justice D K Upadhyaya and Justice Tejas Karia and requested that the case be listed on Friday. "This is against the so-called student agitation. They have made the entire Delhi hostage. Roads have been blocked. Citizens of Delhi are suffering," lawyer Barun Kumar Sinha submitted. "Alright. Tomorrow," Chief Justice Upadhyaya said. Petitioner Satish Kumar Aggarwal, ex-vice president of the Akhil Bharat Hindu Mahasabha, said in his PIL that the participation of activists and political leaders as well as the alleged involvement of foreign-funded organisations, has raised serious questions about the "true nature, purpose, and objectives of the protest". The PIL asserted that these concerns call for a "comprehensive .

Delhi HC agrees to hear PIL seeking probe into CJP protest on July 24
Updated On : 23 Jul 2026 | 12:11 PM IST

Look into eyes of youth who bled on streets protesting: Kharge to PM Modi

Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge on Thursday hit out at Prime Minister Narendra Modi, asking him to look into the eyes of the youth who bled on the streets protesting. After Prime Minister Modi made a strong pitch in favour of the youth, saying those who play with their future would not be spared, Kharge stated that all doors for the youth have been shut and asked where should they go. "Narendramodi ji, Education system has corroded under your watch. We do not need platitudes or peacemeal announcements. Your government lathicharged the youth, used pellet guns, shock batons, indiscriminate brutality with impunity, as if they are not our own children," he said on X while referring to the student protests against exam irregularities. "Come out of your air-conditioned ivory towers and look into the eyes of the young men and women who bled on the streets, fighting your dictatorship," he said. The Congress chief said the youth only want "three simple demands to be fulfilled -- "1) .

Look into eyes of youth who bled on streets protesting: Kharge to PM Modi
Updated On : 23 Jul 2026 | 12:05 PM IST

Mumbai Police books 400 for protests without permission, registers 13 FIRs

The Mumbai police have registered 13 FIRs between July 18 and July 22 in connection with the ongoing protests on charges of unlawful assembly and violation of prohibitory orders, booking 400 people, officials have said. Cases have been registered at different police stations, and notices were issued to those named in the FIRs, following which they were allowed to leave, officials said on Wednesday. Mumbai has been witnessing protests in solidarity with the Cockroach Janta Party-led students' agitation in New Delhi. While demonstrations were staged at various places, including Shivaji Park, Chaityabhoomi, Chembur and Shiv Sena Bhavan, no permission had been granted, an official said. On July 19, Shiv Sena (UBT) president Uddhav Thackeray addressed a gathering organised at Shivaji Park to protest against fasting activist Sonam Wangchuk's transfer to Safdarjung Hospital from the Delhi Jantar Mantar protest site. The Mumbai police have also initiated action over a protest held at ...

Mumbai Police books 400 for protests without permission, registers 13 FIRs
Updated On : 23 Jul 2026 | 10:20 AM IST

CJP protest: Delhi Metro closes 16 stations over security concerns

Entry and exit remain suspended at 16 stations from 7:30 am due to security concerns as the CJP's agitation over alleged Neet irregularities continues in central Delh

CJP protest: Delhi Metro closes 16 stations over security concerns
Updated On : 23 Jul 2026 | 8:34 AM IST