The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-Kisan Yojana) is a government scheme through which, all small and marginal farmers will get up to Rs 6,000 per year as minimum income support. This 75,000-crore scheme aims to cover 125 million farmers, irrespective of the size of their landholding in India.
When did the PM-Kisan scheme come into effect?
The PM Kisan Yojana came into effect from December 1, 2018. It was launched by prime minister Narendra Modi-led government.
PM Kisan Yojana explained
Under the PM Kisan Yojana, income support of Rs 6000 per annum is provided to all eligible farmer families across the country in three equal installments of Rs 2,000 each every four months. The scheme defines family as husband, wife and minor children. The fund of Rs 2,000 is directly transferred to the bank accounts of the farmers/farmer's family.
Who is eligible for PM Kisan scheme?
- Landholding farmers’ families with cultivable landholding in their names can apply under this scheme
- Farmers from both the urban and rural areas
- Small and marginal farmers families
Who is not eligible for PM Kisan scheme?
- Institutional landholders
- Present or retired officers and employees of state/central government as well as PSUs and government autonomous bodies.
- Beneficiaries with higher economic status are not eligible.
- Those who pay income tax
- Farmer families holding constitutional posts
- Professionals like doctors, engineers and lawyers
- Retired pensioners with a monthly pension of over Rs 10,000
How to register for PM Kisan Samman Nidhi
- Farmers have to approach the local revenue officer (patwari) or a nodal officer (nominated by the state government)
- The Common Service Centres (CSCs) have also been authorized to do the registration of the farmers for the Scheme upon payment of fees
On the official website of PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana - pmkisan.gov.in, there's a section called the 'farmers' corner'. Farmers can register themselves through the Farmers Corner in the portal. They can also edit the name in PM-Kisan database and know the status of their payment.
Documents required to register under PM-Kisan Yojana
Aadhaar is mandatory.
Apart from Aadhaar, citizenship certificate, landholding papers and bank account details have to be submitted to the concerned authorities.