You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Dying declarations of Nirbhaya true, voluntary, consistent: SC

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

The reiterated today that the three sets of dying declarations of the December 16 gangrape victim Nirbhaya, including the one made through gestures, were "true, voluntary and consistent".

A bench headed by said the trial court, high court and the apex court elaborately considered the dying declarations during the trial of the case and the convicts could not be allowed to raise the same issues again.

"All the three dying declarations having been relied (on) by trial court, high court and this court and all arguments attacking the dying declarations having been considered and rejected, in its judgment dated May 5, 2017, we are of the view that the petitioner cannot be allowed to re-agitate the same issues which were already considered and expressly rejected by this court," the bench, also comprising Justices R and Ashok Bhushan, said.

The apex court dismissed the review petitions filed by three of the four convicts Mukesh (31), Pawan Gupta (24) and (25), saying no ground has been made out by them for a review of the top court verdict of May 5 last year.

The three dying declarations of the victim were recorded.

The first declaration was recorded by a doctor when she was admitted to hospital on the night of December 16, 2012 and the second on December 21 by a during which she gave exact details of the crime.

The third declaration was recorded by a on December 25 and was mostly through gestures.

The bench said that as far as the third is concerned, this court has already held that the made through signs, gestures or by nods are admissible as evidence.

It also rejected the claim of one of the convicts, Vinay, that he was juvenile at the time of the incident.

The convicts had challenged the validity of the and claimed that there were discrepancies in her statement.

With regard to the second declaration, the appearing for the convicts submitted that in the police diary there was no mention of it.

The woman was raped on the intervening night of December 16-17, 2012 in a running bus in south by six persons. She was also severely assaulted before being thrown out on the road. She succumbed to the injuries at in Singapore on December 29, 2012.

The fourth death row convict in the case, Singh (31), did not file a review petition against the Supreme Court's May 5, 2017 verdict.

One of the accused in the case, Ram Singh, had allegedly committed suicide in the here.

A juvenile accused was convicted by a juvenile justice board. He was released from a reformation home after serving a three-year term.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Mon, July 09 2018. 21:20 IST