Wednesday, February 18, 2026 | 12:13 PM ISTहिंदी में पढें
Business Standard
Notification Icon
userprofile IconSearch

Page 62 - Maharashtra

Collapsed Sindhudurg Shivaji statue artist booked for attempt to murder

The statue of the 17th century Maratha empire founder, located at the Rajkot Fort in Sindhudurg, came crashing down on Monday, after just months of being inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi

Collapsed Sindhudurg Shivaji statue artist booked for attempt to murder
Updated On : 28 Aug 2024 | 12:45 PM IST

Janmashtami Dahi Handi celebrations in Mumbai leave 238 'Govindas' injured

Dahi Handi was classified as an 'adventure sport' in 2016, which subsequently led to children under the age of 14 being barred from participating in the event

Janmashtami Dahi Handi celebrations in Mumbai leave 238 'Govindas' injured
Updated On : 28 Aug 2024 | 12:27 PM IST

Apologising on behalf of Maha govt for Shivaji Maharaj statue collapse: BJP

Under flak from the opposition, BJP leader Ashish Shelar on Tuesday said he was apologising to people on behalf of the Maharashtra government over the collapse of Shivaji Maharaj's statue in Sindhudurg district. The 35-foot statue of the 17th century Maratha empire founder, unveiled by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Rajkot Fort on December 4 last year, collapsed on Monday afternoon. "The collapse of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj's statue is absolutely unfortunate, painful and distressing. We apologise to all the residents of Maharashtra on behalf of the government over this incident," Shelar, who heads the Mumbai BJP unit, told reporters. He said the ongoing investigation will disclose the factors responsible for the collapse of the statue. This is a painful incident for all of us, said Shelar, an MLA from Mumbai. He said a statue of revered Shivaji Maharaj will be erected again to retain our pride, self-respect, and Hindutva. Following an outrage, the Sindhudurg police also regist

Apologising on behalf of Maha govt for Shivaji Maharaj statue collapse: BJP
Updated On : 28 Aug 2024 | 7:03 AM IST

Rusted bolts, poor construction; what caused the Shivaji statue collapse

The complaint registered against the contractor reveals that there were repeated warnings against the waning condition of construction material of the statue which were ignored

Rusted bolts, poor construction; what caused the Shivaji statue collapse
Updated On : 27 Aug 2024 | 6:19 PM IST

Shivaji Maharaj statue collapse: Raut seeks CM's resignation, alleges scam

A statue of Maratha warrior king Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, unveiled by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at a fort in Maharashtra's coastal Sindhudurg district just eight months ago, collapsed on Monday, an official said, with the chief minister blaming "strong winds" for the cave in. As the incident caused an embarrassment to the state government and invited scathing criticism from the opposition, Chief Minister Eknath Shinde vowed to rebuild the structure, which he said, was designed and constructed by the Indian Navy. Asked about the collapse, Shinde told PTI, "The wind was blowing at a speed of 45km per hour, which caused the statue to fall. It is very unfortunate the statue has fallen as it was designed and built by the Navy. However, our guardian minister (Ravindra Chavan) has arrived at the spot to assess the situation, and we will rebuild this statue even stronger. Navy officials will also take part in the rebuilding efforts." Public Works Department (PWD) personnel will visit

Shivaji Maharaj statue collapse: Raut seeks CM's resignation, alleges scam
Updated On : 27 Aug 2024 | 1:50 PM IST

FIR against contractor, consultant over Shivaji Maharaj's statue collapse

Police in Maharashtra's Sindhudurg district have registered a case against the contractor and the structural consultant in connection with the collapse of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj's statue, officials said on Tuesday. The 35-foot statue of the 17th century Maratha warrior king, unveiled by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Rajkot fort in Malvan tehsil of Sindhudurg on Navy Day (December 4) last year, collapsed around 1 pm on Monday. The incident caused embarrassment to the Eknath Shinde-led state government and invited criticism from the opposition parties. CM Shinde said the statue was designed and constructed by the Indian Navy. A complaint was lodged by an assistant engineer of the Public Works Department (PWD) at Malvan police station on Monday evening. As per the complainant, the artist and the consultant were responsible for the collapse of the statue, an official said. Based on the complaint, an FIR was registered against contractor Jaydeep Apte and structural consultant ...

FIR against contractor, consultant over Shivaji Maharaj's statue collapse
Updated On : 27 Aug 2024 | 12:39 PM IST

JSW Neo Energy bags 200 MW wind-solar hybrid project from from MSEDCL

JSW Energy on Tuesday said its arm JSW Neo Energy has received a letter of award (LoA) for setting up a wind-solar hybrid power project from Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company (MSEDCL). The 200 MW wind-solar hybrid power project was awarded to JSW Neo Energy in a tariff-based competitive bid, a JSW Energy statement said. As a result of this capacity award, the company's total locked-in generation capacity has increased to 17.2 GW, which includes a total locked-in hybrid capacity of 2.9 GW (including FDRE), the statement said. JSW Energy has a total locked-in generation capacity of 17.2 GW comprising 7.5 GW operational, 2.3 GW under construction across wind, thermal and hydro and RE pipeline of 7.3 GW (PPAs signed for 2.3 GW). The company expects to have an installed generation capacity of 10 GW by FY25, up from 7.5 GW currently. The company also has 4.2 GWh of locked-in energy storage capacity through battery energy storage systems and hydro-pumped storage ...

JSW Neo Energy bags 200 MW wind-solar hybrid project from from MSEDCL
Updated On : 27 Aug 2024 | 12:08 PM IST

Maharashtra CM Shinde reviews pending repair work on Mumbai-Goa highway

Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde on Monday visited sites in Raigad district to review the pending work on the Mumbai-Goa Highway ahead of the Ganesh Chaturthi festival. The visit has come a week after Shiv Sena leader Ramdas Kadam called BJP leader and Maharashtra PWD Minister Ravindra Chavan a useless minister over the poor state of the highway. Talking to reporters, Shinde said, "We have used four types of advanced technology to repair potholes and damaged stretches of the highway. This will minimise inconvenience for people travelling to their villages in the coastal districts for the Ganesh Chaturthi festival." Officials of the NHAI, MSRDC, and PWD, among others, have conducted an in-depth study of the issues on this highway and devised effective solutions, he said. Shinde said, "Union Minister for Highways Gadkari took a keen interest in the highway and gave loans to contractors, but some of them ignored the work, and due to their lethargy, we have to face this precari

Maharashtra CM Shinde reviews pending repair work on Mumbai-Goa highway
Updated On : 26 Aug 2024 | 6:30 PM IST

Shivaji Maharaj's 35-foot statue collapses in Sindhudurg, Navy responds

A statue of Maratha King Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, unveiled by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at a fort in Maharashtra's Sindhudurg district, collapsed on Monday, an official said. Following the incident, the opposition parties have slammed the state government, alleging it had paid little attention to the quality of work. A 35-foot statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj collapsed around 1 pm at Rajkot Fort in Malvan, the official said. Experts will ascertain the exact cause of the collapse, but the district has witnessed heavy rains and gusty winds in the last two to three days, he said. Senior officials of the police and district administration reached the site to take stock of the situation, and the damage is being examined, he said. PM Modi unveiled the statue on December 4 last year on the occasion of Navy Day. He also participated in the celebrations at the fort. NCP (SP) state president and former minister Jayant Patil said, "The state government is responsible for the ...

Shivaji Maharaj's 35-foot statue collapses in Sindhudurg, Navy responds
Updated On : 26 Aug 2024 | 6:17 PM IST

Maha govt to allow women to lodge harassment complaints online: Ajit Pawar

The Maharashtra cabinet discussed PM Modi's instruction about online registration of women harassment cases and decided to adopt a different approach to prevent such incidents, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar said on Monday. During a programme organised for "Majhi Ladki Bahin Yojana" in Jalgaon on Sunday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi termed crimes against women an unpardonable sin and said the safety of women should be a priority. His strong remarks came against the backdrop of protests against the brutal rape and murder of a 31-year-old trainee doctor at Kolkata's RG Kar Hospital and the sexual abuse of two four-year-old school girls in Badlapur near Mumbai. Modi pointed out that an entire chapter is dedicated to crimes against women and children in the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, and if a woman cannot reach the police station, she can file an e-FIR, and no one can make any changes at the police station level. Talking to reporters here, Pawar said, "PM Modi has instructed about fili

Maha govt to allow women to lodge harassment complaints online: Ajit Pawar
Updated On : 26 Aug 2024 | 3:39 PM IST

Highlights: Kolkata rape-murder main accused Sanjay Roy undergoing lie detection test

LIVE news updates: Stay with us for all the major news updates from around the world

Highlights: Kolkata rape-murder main accused Sanjay Roy undergoing lie detection test
Updated On : 25 Aug 2024 | 11:26 PM IST

My govt did more for women in 10 yrs than was done since Independence: PM

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday said his government has done more for women in the last 10 years than was done by all the previous regimes since Independence. Addressing a Lakhpati Didi rally at Jalgaon in north Maharashtra, Modi also said his government is strengthening laws to provide for stringent punishment for crimes against women. Till 2014, less than Rs 25,000 crore loans were given to women self-help groups but in the last 10 years, Rs 9 lakh crore was given, Modi said. Modi also said Maharashtra needs the BJP-led Mahayuti government to continue for years to come to ensure the state's stability and prosperity. Maharashtra is the shining star of a developed India. The future of the state lies in more investment and job growth, he said. Modi, who interacted with Lakhpati Didis at Jalgaon, released the Rs 2,500 crore revolving fund benefiting 48 lakh members of 4.3 lakh self-help groups. The Lakhpati Didi scheme is not only about boosting the income of women, but also

My govt did more for women in 10 yrs than was done since Independence: PM
Updated On : 25 Aug 2024 | 2:37 PM IST

PM Modi interacts with Lakhpati Didis earning Rs 1L annually in Maharashtra

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday interacted with Lakhpati Didis' women members of self-help groups who are earning Rs 1 lakh annually in Maharashtra's Jalgaon. The PM is attending an event to felicitate 11 lakh new Lakhpati Didis who achieved the mark during the third term of his government. A group of women welcomed Modi in Jalgaon following which he interacted with a few members of some self-help groups (SHGs). The SHGs are active in the livestock sector, while others have been working in government schemes like Krishi Sakhi' and NAMO Drone Didi', officials. The officials implementing the schemes said SHGs play a vital role in imparting skills that help meet the requirements in rural areas and generate employment locally. An official statement had said on Saturday that Modi would also release at the Jalgaon event a revolving fund of Rs 2,500 crore that would benefit about 48 lakh members of 4.3 lakh SHGs. He will disburse bank loans of Rs 5,000 crore, which will benefit

PM Modi interacts with Lakhpati Didis earning Rs 1L annually in Maharashtra
Updated On : 25 Aug 2024 | 1:41 PM IST

300 booked for raising 'objectionable' slogans during protest in Pune

Police have registered a case against nearly 300 people after alleged objectionable slogans were raised during a protest outside the Pune District Collectorate, an official said on Sunday. A Sarvdharm Sambhav Mahamorcha' was organised on Friday to protest against the recent purported remarks by religious leader Ramgiri Maharaj against Islam. During the protest, the alleged slogans were raised, the official said. According to the police, the morcha was organised without permission and the slogans created communal tension and enmity between communities. An offence has been registered at the Bundgarden police station against 200-300 people who had participated in the morcha, said a senior police official. The case has been registered under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) for unlawful assembly, promoting enmity on grounds of religion, race and language and doing acts prejudicial to the maintenance of harmony and under the Maharashtra Police Act. Ramgiri Maharaj had allegedly made ..

300 booked for raising 'objectionable' slogans during protest in Pune
Updated On : 25 Aug 2024 | 12:55 PM IST

PM Modi to visit Maharashtra today to felicitate new 1.1 mn Lakhpati Didis

Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit Jalgaon in Maharashtra on Sunday to felicitate 11 lakh new 'Lakhpati Didis' who achieved the mark during the third term of his government. An official statement on Saturday said Modi would also release a revolving fund of Rs 2,500 crore that would benefit about 48 lakh members of 4.3 lakh self-help groups (SHGs). He will disburse bank loans of Rs 5,000 crore, which will benefit 25.8 lakh members of 2.35 lakh SHGs, it added. Since the inception of the scheme for making 'Lakhpati Didis' a woman member of a self-help group earning Rs 1 lakh annually one crore women have already joined the rank. The government has set a target to make three crore 'Lakhpati Didis'.

PM Modi to visit Maharashtra today to felicitate new 1.1 mn Lakhpati Didis
Updated On : 25 Aug 2024 | 9:00 AM IST

Sexual offenders should be castrated: Maharashtra deputy CM Ajit Pawar

Amid the outrage over the Badlapur sexual assault incident, Maharashtra deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar on Saturday said those guilty of offences against women should be castrated. He was speaking at an official program about the Mahayuti government's flagship 'Ladki Bahin' scheme for women at Yavatmal in eastern Maharashtra. The BJP-Shiv Sena-NCP government in the state would not spare anyone accused of offences against women, whoever the person may be, and a bill providing for a more stringent punishment in such offences has been forwarded to the President for the assent, he said. "I personally feel that when such perverts lay hand on our mothers-sisters, our daughters, they should face such a legal punishment that they should not think of (repeating the offence) again. To put it in my language, such persons' private organ should be removed....Some people are so vile, that this must be done," Pawar said. Alleged sexual assault of two kindergarten girls at a school at Badlapur in

Sexual offenders should be castrated: Maharashtra deputy CM Ajit Pawar
Updated On : 24 Aug 2024 | 10:24 PM IST

Looking forward to participate in 'lakhpati didi sammelan', says PM Modi

PM Modi will visit Jalgaon in Maharashtra and Jodhpur in Rajasthan on August 25. At around 11:15 AM, the Prime Minister will participate in the Lakhpati Didi Sammelan

Looking forward to participate in 'lakhpati didi sammelan', says PM Modi
Updated On : 24 Aug 2024 | 9:52 PM IST

MPCB accuses Mercedes-Benz of non-compliance with environmental standards

Maharashtra Pollution Control Board (MPCB) on Saturday alleged non-compliance with environmental standards by the luxury car maker Mercedes-Benz India at its Pune manufacturing facility and sought a comprehensive review of the plant's operations. Mercedes-Benz India, in a statement, said it has not received any "written notice" or formal request from MPCB describing the claimed violations and was ready to take any "corrective action" if required. MPCB, in a release, said it came across the alleged violations of the guidelines during an inspection of the facility on Friday. "During a routine inspection conducted on August 23, 2024, it was discovered that the Mercedes Benz assembly plant in Chakan, Pune, is not adhering to the pollution control guidelines set by the Maharashtra Pollution Control Board (MPCB)," the board said in the release. The board has instructed its regional officer to take immediate action to ensure that the Mercedes Benz assembly plant complies with all MPCB ...

MPCB accuses Mercedes-Benz of non-compliance with environmental standards
Updated On : 24 Aug 2024 | 6:41 PM IST

Govt directs insurance firm to pay Rs 225 cr to Maha farmers in a week

The Central government on Saturday directed an insurance company to pay pending claims of up to Rs 225 crore to about 2 lakh farmers in Maharashtra's Parbhani district within a week. The order follows Union Agriculture Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan's interaction with farmers in Nanded on August 21, where issues of pending soyabean crop insurance claims were raised. On August 22, the Department of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare held a meeting of the National Technical Advisory Committee (TAC). The committee rejected the insurance company's objections to crop-cutting experiments and ordered the settlement of pending claims, an official statement said. The name of the insurance company was not disclosed in the statement. The Central TAC on Saturday issued a formal order to the insurance company to pay the dues within seven days. This decision will benefit approximately 2 lakh farmers in Parbhani district, with payouts ranging between Rs 200 to 225 crore. Chouhan had instructed ...

Govt directs insurance firm to pay Rs 225 cr to Maha farmers in a week
Updated On : 24 Aug 2024 | 6:25 PM IST

Badlapur incident hit Maharashtra's image in country, says Sharad Pawar

NCP (SP) chief Sharad Pawar on Tuesday said the Badlapur incident involving the alleged sexual abuse of two kindergarten girls at a school has hit the image of Maharashtra in the country. He accused the state government of forgetting that the responsibility for the safety of women lies with it. Pawar, who took part in a silent protest in Pune, said the government is insensitive if it thinks the opposition is playing politics over the Badlapur incident. The Badlapur incident has hit the image of Maharashtra in the country, said the chief of NCP (SP), which is a constituent of the opposition bloc Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA), also comprising Congress and Uddhav Thackeray-led Shiv Sena (UBT). Pawar said such an incident has taken place in the land of Chhatrapati Shivaji who used to chop off the hands of culprits involved in crimes against women. The alleged sexual assault on two 4-year-old girls by a male attendant at a school in Badlapur of Thane district had led to a massive protest in

Badlapur incident hit Maharashtra's image in country, says Sharad Pawar
Updated On : 24 Aug 2024 | 2:56 PM IST