Those being produced before the court include Shyamkanu Mahanta, Siddharth Sharma and others who were arrested by SIT/CID in connection with the case
Sandeep Kumar claimed that the late IPS officer, who also died by suicide last week, was a "corrupt cop" who took his own life fearing exposure of his alleged misconduct
In the wake of protests following the alleged suicide of IPS officer Y Puram Kumar, the Haryana government has asked the police to maintain strict vigil and harmony by working closely with community leaders. It said field officers must be prepared to take proactive steps to prevent any untoward incidents. The directives were issued by the General Administration Department (Political Branch-I) on October 12 on behalf of the chief secretary to additional chief secretary (Home), director general of police, all divisional commissioners, all deputy commissioners and all commissioners and superintendents of police. A 2001-batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer, Kumar allegedly shot himself dead on October 7. In an eight-page final note purportedly left behind by Kumar, he accused eight senior IPS officers, including now-transferred Haryana DGP Shatrujeet Kapur and Rohtak SP Narendra Bijarniya, of "blatant caste-based discrimination, targeted mental harassment, public humiliation and .
The Haryana government has sent State DGP Shatrujeet Kapur on leave amid opposition's attack on the BJP dispensation over IPS officer Y Puran Kumar's alleged suicide, and demand by Kumar's family for action against the officers accused of harassing him. The late night development came days after the state government transferred Narendra Bijarniya, the then Rohtak's Superintendent of Police. "Yes, the DGP has been sent on leave by the government," said Rajiv Jaitly, media adviser to the Haryana chief minister. In an eight-page final note, purportedly left behind by Kumar, he accused eight senior IPS officers, including Kapur and Bijarniya, of "blatant caste-based discrimination, targeted mental harassment, public humiliation and atrocities." The IPS officer's wife, senior IAS officer Amneet P Kumar, has demanded that Kapur and Bijarniya be named in the FIR for allegedly abetting her husband's suicide. The officer's family, which is also seeking their arrest, has refused to give cons
Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Sunday said the Singapore Police has sought some "vital information" in connection with the death of singer Zubeen Garg in the island nation. Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a function here, Sarma said the Assam government has already collected and forwarded the required inputs to the authorities in Singapore. "Yesterday, the Singapore Police sent some vital queries to his family. We have already collected the inputs from the family and sent those to the Singapore authorities. They are investigating the case very seriously," he said. The CM, however, did not specify what information the foreign nation sought from Garg's family. The celebrated singer died while swimming in the sea in Singapore on September 19. He had gone to the Southeast Asian nation to attend the 4th edition of the North East India Festival. The Indian government had earlier invoked the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) with Singapore, seeking cooperation
Assam Police were yet to hear from Singaporean authorities on their request for information regarding cultural icon Zubeen Garg's death in the Southeast Asian nation while swimming in the sea last month, a senior officer said here on Saturday. The state police's Criminal Investigation Department (CID), which is probing the death of the singer-composer, has issued summons for the second time to Singapore residents hailing from Assam who were present with Garg during his last moments to appear before it and record their statements, he said. "The Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) with Singapore has been invoked, seeking help in the case. We have written to them for the help we need, like CCTV footage, etc. The request has been sent through the Ministry of Home Affairs to the authorities there," CID SDGP Munna Prasad Gupta said in a press conference here. He said the request was sent immediately after the investigation was launched here. "In Singapore, the attorney general's office
The Haryana government on Saturday transferred Rohtak Superintendent of Police Narendra Bijarniya, days after IPS officer Y Puran Kumar allegedly shot himself dead at his Chandigarh residence, officials said. According to an official order, IPS officer Surinder Singh Bhoria has been appointed as the new Rohtak SP, and the posting order of Bijarniya will be issued separately. The action follows pressure built by the family members of Kumar, seeking action against the officers named in a 'final note' left behind by the deceased, in which he accused eight senior cops, including Bijarniya and Haryana DGP Shatrujeet Kapur, of "blatant caste-based discrimination, targeted mental harassment, public humiliation and atrocities". Kumar (52), a 2001-batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer, allegedly shot himself dead at his Sector 11 residence here on Tuesday. In his 'final note', Kumar alleged, "Shatrujeet Kapur, DGP, Haryana, continues to harass me by instigating Narendra Bijarniya, SP, .
Zubeen Garg's cousin and Assam Police DSP Sandipan Garg was arrested on Wednesday in connection with the singer's death in Singapore last month, a senior officer said. This is the fifth arrest in the case. Earlier, North East India Festival chief organiser Shyamkanu Mahanta, the singer's manager Siddharth Sharma, and his two band members - Shekhar Jyoti Goswami and Amrit Prabha Mahanta - were apprehended. "We have arrested Sandipan Garg. Now, we are doing the necessary legal formalities," CID Special DGP Munna Prasad Gupta told PTI. The apprehended police officer was interrogated several times in the last few days over the singer's death in Singapore last month. Sandipan Garg, a deputy SP and a cousin of the singer, was present with him during the alleged drowning incident in the island country. "Our team has taken him to a court here. We will seek police remand," another senior officer said. The four others, who were arrested earlier in connection with the case, are now in poli
Singer-musician Zubeen Garg died due to drowning while swimming off a Singapore island and not while scuba diving as reported earlier, media reports said Thursday. Assam-based Garg, who was in Singapore for the 60th year of India Singapore Diplomatic Relations and to celebrate India ASEAN Year of Tourism, North East India Festival, died on September 19. The Singapore Police Force (SPF) said they have extended a copy of the autopsy report, along with its preliminary findings on Garg's death, to the High Commission of India, upon its request, The Straits Times newspaper reported. The Indian High Commission says it has received the report. According to a source, the report says that Garg died due to drowning. The SPF had earlier ruled out foul play in the death of the 52-year-old singer. In the case of Zubeen Garg, a coroner's inquiry could possibly shed light on the sequence of events leading up to his drowning, the Singapore broadsheet quoted Ng Kai Ling, associate director at LIM
Tamil Nadu ADGP (Law and Order) S Davidson Devasirvatham on Sunday said nearly 500 police personnel were deployed for Actor-Politician Vijay's Karur rally where a stampede claimed lives of 40 people. Referring to the findings of the preliminary investigation, he denied the claims of a section that there was a stone pelting during the rally. Briefing reporters accompanied by District Collector M Thangavel, the top police officer, said, "In the first petition presented by the TVK on September 23, they asked for the Lighthouse-Roundabout junction for their leader to deliver the address. But, it was rejected as it is a high risk place and if there is a dense crowd, it will be difficult to conduct a meeting," he said. Again, TVK had petitioned asking for permission in the Roundabout or Uzhavar Sandhai and it was rejected as it is a 'narrow area' and cannot accommodate dense crowd, he said. Police department suggested a place where another public meeting was conducted by the Leader of ..
De Rigo Group brand sees 50% annual growth; eyes expansion in eyewear, fragrances, and leather goods
The UK police on Friday issued an appeal for information over an alleged rape of a British Sikh woman earlier this week, which the force said is being treated as a racially aggravated assault. Police said it was called on Tuesday morning after the woman, in her 20s, reported being sexually attacked at Tame Road, Oldbury, in the Sandwell area of the West Midlands region of England. The two white male suspects are said to have targeted the woman and made a racist remark during the attack. We're investigating after a woman reported to us that she had been raped in Oldbury in what we are treating as a racially aggravated attack, West Midlands Police statement said. The woman has told us that a racist remark was made to her during the attack. We are currently treating it as an isolated incident, the statement added. Police said they are keen to speak with anyone in the area who may have seen the two suspects. One of them is said to have a shaved head, heavy build and was reported to be
Meghalaya Police have filed a chargesheet against eight people, including Sonam, in connection with the sensational murder of her husband, Indore-based businessman Raja Raghuvanshi, during their honeymoon to Sohra in May this year, an officer said. Police submitted a 790-page chargesheet, supported by material evidence and enclosures, before the court of the Judicial Magistrate First Class, Sohra Sub-Division on Friday, Superintendent of Police, East Khasi Hills district, Vivke Syiem said in a statement. According to police, Raja Raghuvanshi of Indore, Madhya Pradesh, and his wife Sonam had travelled to Shillong on May 21 before heading to Sohra. On May 26, the couple were reported missing, prompting a massive search operation by Sohra police, the Special Operations Team (SOT), NDRF, SDRF, trekking groups and local villagers. After days of intensive search, the body of Raja Raghuvanshi was recovered on June 2 from a deep gorge at Arliang Riat Kunongrim, Umblai, near the famous Wei
Baton-wielding riot police in a northern Serbia town on Friday fired tear gas and charged at thousands of peaceful protesters who were demanding free elections and justice after months of demonstrations against the autocratic rule of President Aleksandar Vucic. The protest led by university students came more than 10 months after a concrete canopy collapsed at a train station in the town of Novi Sad, killing 16 people. The disaster ignited a wave of public outrage over alleged state corruption and negligence, which demonstrators cite as causes of the collapse. There were no immediate reports of injuries in Friday's chaos triggered by the police action. Ambulances could be seen driving through Novi Sad's streets. Vucic, who has said he wants to take Serbia to the European Union, has branded the protesters as terrorists who want to unseat him with the help of the West. He attended a gathering earlier this week in China that included Russian President Vladimir Putin and the leaders o
Two wanted criminals linked to foreign-based gangsters Rohit Godara and Harry Boxer were arrested after an encounter with Delhi Police's Special Cell here, officials said on Thursday. They said the arrests were made late on Wednesday night from the New Ashok Nagar area in west Delhi. The identities of the arrested criminals, who were wanted in a case, were not known immediately. According to police, Rohit Godara and Harry Boxer are linked with the Lawrence Bishnoi gang. Acting on a tip-off that the two wanted criminals were planning to commit a crime in the city, police laid a trap and nabbed them. One of the accused sustained a bullet injury in his leg during the exchange of fire with police, the officials said. Further details are awaited.
A joint team of Gurugram Police and STF has foiled a plot to attack Haryanvi singer-rapper Rahul Fazilpuria, who survived a bid on his life on July 14, by arresting five sharpshooters after a brief encounter, officials said on Wednesday. The incident took place around midnight on Tuesday on Pataudi road when four of the sharpshooters sustained gunshot wounds in the encounter, police said. A spokesperson for Gurugram Police said initial investigation revealed that the five sharpshooters linked to gangsters Rohit Sardhaniya and Deepak Nandal were plotting to kill Fazilpuria. They were also reportedly involved in the killing of Fazilpuria's financier Rohit Shokeen last month. The accused have been identified as Vinod Pehalwan, a resident of Jhajjar, Padam alias Raja, Shubham alias Kala, Gautam alias Gogi, and Ashish alias Ashu, all from Sonipat. Police received a tip-off about the accused's movement near Wazirpur village. Accordingly, the STF along with a Crime Branch team put up a ..
The Delhi Police has significantly shored up security arrangements for Chief Minister Rekha Gupta in the wake of the recent attack on her, permanently deploying 40 personnel and ordering multiple friskings of visitors before their entry to any of her events, an official said on Monday. Initially, the Union Home Ministry had directed the CRPF to extend Z-category cover to the chief minister, but that arrangement has now been withdrawn. Instead, Delhi Police has taken over her protection and accorded her Z+ cover with additional deployment. "Over 40 personnel will always be there to guard the CM. A robust security arrangement has been put in place for the Delhi CM. Stringent checks will be carried out in all her programmes," a senior officer said. These include her 'Jan Sunwai' programmes. She was attacked during one such 'Jan Sunwai', public hearing of grievances, at her Civil Lines camp office on August 20. "Every visitor will be thoroughly frisked and verified before entering the
The complainant who had alleged there were multiple murders, rapes and burials in Dharmasthala over a period of the past two decades, was arrested on Saturday by the SIT formed to investigate these charges, official sources said. The Special Investigation Team (SIT) and its chief, Pranab Mohanty, have questioned the complainantwhose name is not revealedon Friday till late hours. Officials said the arrest was made after inconsistencies were found in the statements and documents provided. The SIT is continuing its probe into the matter. The complainant-witness, a former sanitation worker, has claimed that he worked in Dharmasthala between 1995 and 2014, and that he was forced to bury a number of bodies, including those of women and minors, in Dharmasthala. He had alleged that some of the bodies showed signs of sexual assault. He has also given a statement before a magistrate in this regard.
Senior IPS officer Satish Golcha on Friday took charge as the 26th Commissioner of Delhi Police, succeeding S B K Singh, who held the post for just 21 days. Golcha, a 1992-batch officer from the Arunachal Pradesh-Goa-Mizoram and Union Territories (AGMUT) cadre, assumed charge at the Delhi Police Headquarters here. The home ministry issued the appointment order on Thursday. It came a day after Delhi Chief Minister Rekha Gupta was attacked during a public hearing at her Civil Lines office on Wednesday. Officials, however, clarified that the posting was unrelated to the attack. Golcha, who will serve till April 2027, is known for his no-nonsense approach and played a decisive role as special commissioner of police (law and order) during the 2020 northeast Delhi riots. His predecessor, S B K Singh, a 1988-batch officer, is believed to have had the shortest tenure as Delhi Police chief, having taken over on August 1 following the retirement of Sanjay Arora.
Delhi Police has registered an FIR of attempt to murder in connection with the attack on Chief Minister Rekha Gupta at her camp office in north Delhi's Civil Lines area on Wednesday, an official said. A case under section 109(1) [attempt to murder] of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) has been lodged at Civil Lines police station, Deputy Commissioner of Police (North) Raja Banthia said in a statement. The officer said that the accused, identified as Sakriya Rajeshbhai Khimjibhai, has been taken into custody and is being interrogated. Sources said that the Delhi Police's Special Cell is probing the attack on the CM. Gupta was attacked during a 'Jan Sunwai' programme at her camp office on Wednesday morning, her office said, terming the assault as part of a "well-planned conspiracy to kill her".