Presence of a public urinal and open garbage bin right next to one's house violates the right to live with dignity in a clean and healthy environment under the Constitution, the Delhi High Court has said. Justice Amit Bansal stated that a hygienic environment was an integral aspect of a healthy life and the absence of a healthy environment frustrates the right to live with dignity. The court passed the order while dealing with a lawyer's petition raising a grievance against the construction of an unauthorised open garbage bin and urinal on the eastern walls of his property. The petitioner contended that about 150 residents in his neighbourhood used the garbage bin to dispose of their waste and in spite of several requests to the MCD officials to maintain sanitary conditions near the bin and the urinal, no action was taken. The court directed the MCD to forthwith demolish the open dustbin and the urinal next to the house of the petitioner, observing that the presence of an open garb
The Delhi High Court on Friday sought the stand of Delhi Police on a bail plea by Olympian Sushil Kumar in the murder case of former junior national wrestling champion Sagar Dhankar. Justice Anup J Bhambhani issued notice to Delhi Police and the kin of the deceased, and asked them to file a status report and a reply, respectively. Noting that the Supreme Court had cancelled the bail granted to Kumar by the high court in August last year, the judge remarked, "I think you are being ambitious." "Once the Supreme Court has taken a view, what do you expect from me?" the court asked. The counsel for the accused said the bail plea should be considered since all public witnesses have been examined in the trial. The counsel for Delhi Police and the deceased's kin, however, said all public witnesses were yet to be examined. "Let a status report/detailed reply be filed before the next date of hearing. Renotify on May 4," the court said. Kumar was arrested in May 2021 and a sessions court g
Platforms told the Delhi HC that Ramdev's takedown demands could curb satire, commentary and reportage, even as the court sought a consolidated list of posts he wants removed under personality rights
The Supreme Court on Monday said a boy and a girl before marriage are "total strangers" and they should be cautious while indulging in pre-marital physical relationships. A bench of Justices B V Nagarathna and Ujjal Bhuyan, which was hearing the bail plea of a man accused of rape on a false promise of marriage, questioned the woman why she travelled all the way to Dubai where they indulged in physical relationship. "It's consensual. We may be old-fashioned but a boy and girl before marriage are total strangers. They should be circumspect in indulging in physical relationships before marriage," the bench observed. "Whatever may be the thick and thin of their relationship, we fail to understand how they can be indulging in physical relationship before marriage. Maybe we are old- fashioned but you must be very careful, nobody should believe anybody before marriage," Justice Nagarathna said. Counsel for the woman said they met on a matrimonial website in 2022 and he allegedly establish
The Delhi High Court dismissed a petition opposing Sebi's NOC for NSE's IPO, removing a key obstacle to the bourse's long-awaited listing after governance issues had stalled the process for years
In a relief to actor Rajpal Yadav, the Delhi High Court suspended till March 18 his sentence in the cheque bounce cases and permitted him to be released from jail. Justice Swarana Kanta Sharma passed the order after noting that Yadav deposited Rs 1.5 crore in the bank account of complainant M/s Murali Projects Pvt Ltd. "We are granting you an interim suspension of sentence... It is till the next date of hearing," said the judge. Yadav sought suspension of his sentence on the ground of a marriage in his family on February 19. The court directed Yadav to surrender his passport and not leave the country without permission. It further directed Yadav to remain present, either physically or virtually, on the next date of hearing on March 18. The court's proceedings came on revision petitions by Yadav and his wife challenging a 2019 decision of a sessions court, which upheld their conviction by a magisterial court here in the cheque bounce cases in April 2018. The magisterial court had
Delhi High Court issues notice to Rani Kapur on Priya Kapur's plea alleging false statements on oath in the ongoing Sunjay Kapur estate dispute
Apex court declines to halt Zydus' biosimilar nivolumab launch, asks Bristol Myers Squibb to seek interim relief before Delhi High Court
Delhi High Court said that a junior resident doctor's stipend qualifies as income for EWS eligibility, stressing that the true nature of a payment must be judged by its substance, not its nomenclature
The Delhi High Court on Wednesday listed for hearing on February 17 appeals by expelled BJP leader Kuldeep Sengar and others against their conviction in the custodial death case of the Unnao rape survivor's father. Justice Swarana Kanta Sharma took note of the Supreme Court's order directing the high court to decide the appeals in three months, and said "it is a time bound case now". The judge, however, deferred hearing on Wednesday after being informed that the survivor's plea seeking enhancement of the 10-year sentence was pending before a division bench of the high court, which was coming up for hearing in March. The counsel for Sengar submitted that in view of the top court's order, the survivor ought to file a plea for early hearing in the plea for enhancement of sentence and the appeals could also be taken up by the division bench. The judge directed that the matter be called on February 17 to await clarity and extended the interim bail granted to Kuldeep Sengar's brother til
The Delhi High Court urged parties in the Kapur family succession dispute to explore mediation, observing that prolonged litigation over Sunjay Kapur's estate had taken a heavy personal toll
The Delhi High Court on Tuesday asked the mother, wife and family members of late industrialist Sunjay Kapur to "peacefully" resolve their differences and not let God's "blessing" of financial wealth turn into a "curse". Calling it a "sorry" situation, Justice Mini Pushkarna observed that the family members, who are in litigation with each other over their estate, were grieving and efforts should be made to be respectful of each other. The judge therefore asked the senior counsel appearing for Sunjay Kapur's mother, wife as well as sister to sit together to resolve the issues in a manner that everyone's interest was safeguarded. "Any chance of mediation? Dirty linen is being washed in court. God has blessed you with financial wealth," the court said during the hearing. "All of you should try to respect relations ...Way forward is resolution in a peaceful manner. Blessing should not become a curse. Efforts need to be from both sides," the court orally observed. The court was dealin
The Delhi High Court on Tuesday granted three weeks' time to Delhi University for filing its objection to the delay in appeals against an order refusing disclosure of details of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's bachelor's degree. Appearing for the university, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta argued that "there was nothing in the matter" and it was "only to sensationalise". He sought time to file a reply on the aspect of delay in filing the appeals challenging the single judge's order passed in August 2025, as well as on merit. "As prayed, three weeks' time is granted to file an objection to the application seeking condonation of delay," said a bench of Chief Justice D K Upadhyaya and Justice Tejas Karia and listed the matter for hearing on April 27. The senior counsel, appearing for an appellant, said objections to the delay had not been filed even after two-and-a-half months of the court permitting Delhi University (DU) to do so. He added that it was a "small" delay of 15 to 45 days, a
The Delhi High Court on Monday extended till February 20 the deadline of February 10 set by the Delhi government for private schools to constitute the school-level fee regulation committee (SLFRC). A bench of Chief Justice D K Upadhyaya and Justice Tejas Karia issued notice to the Delhi government on pleas by several associations of schools challenging the February 1 notification on setting up the committee within 10 days, and said no prejudice would be caused if the formation of the committee was deferred. "We find in case the GNCTD does not insist on the formation of the SLFRC, no prejudice is going to be caused to either side or to the timeline (for fixation of fees for academic sessions 2026-2027)," said the bench. "Accordingly, we provide that till the next date of listing of the application of stay i.e. February 20, those schools that have not constituted the SLFRC shall not be insisted upon to form it," it directed. On February 1, the Delhi government issued a gazette ...
The Supreme Court on Monday asked the Delhi High Court to accord an out-of-turn hearing to expelled BJP leader Kuldeep Singh Sengar's plea challenging his conviction in the custodial death case of the Unnao rape survivor's father, and said it should be decided within three months. While refusing to entertain Sengar's plea challenging a January 19 order of the high court, a bench of Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, and Justices Joymalya Bagchi and N V Anjaria said the appeal, if any, filed by the victim's family should also be heard by the high court along with Sengar's petition. The bench was hearing Sengar's plea challenging the high court's order that had refused to suspend his 10-year jail term in the case. During the hearing, the CJI expressed disapproval over the victim's counsel giving statements in the media about the case. "We are not sitting in an ivory tower. We know a media trial is going on outside," Justice Kant said, adding he would not tolerate any "parallel trial"
The court noted that defendants included traders selling posters and merchandise, as well as online platforms hosting infringing videos and content
Blanket or disproportionate freezing of bank accounts, when the account holder is neither an accused nor a suspect in an investigation, is manifestly arbitrary and against one's fundamental right to livelihood and freedom to carry on trade and business, the Delhi High Court has said. Justice Purushaindra Kumar Kaurav said that indiscriminate freezing of accounts paralyses the day-to-day business operations of an otherwise innocent entity, resulting in loss of commercial goodwill and financial consequences. The observations came on a petition filed by Malabar Gold and Diamonds, seeking to direct the Centre and I4C to withdraw any communication or direction given to the State Bank of India and HDFC Bank to "put on hold" its bank accounts. Established under the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), I4C acts as a nodal point at the national level in the fight against cybercrime. The petitioner's bank accounts were frozen after a cyber complaint was registered against one of its customers for
Bench directed the National Medical Commission (NMC) to reconsider the petitioner's migration request without relying on the impugned prohibition and to examine his case in light of disability rights
Delhi HC allows govt to file appeal against single-judge Bench order
The Centre on Monday told the Delhi High Court that rules under the Industrial Relations Code will be finalised by the end of February. Solicitor General Tushar Mehta and Additional Solicitor General Chetan Sharma informed a bench of Chief Justice D K Upadhyaya and Justice Tejas Karia that suggestions from the public had been sought and framing of rules was under consideration. The court was hearing a petition on the implementation of the Industrial Relations Code 2020, which consolidates all laws relating to trade unions, conditions of employment in an industrial establishment and settlement of industrial disputes. According to the petitioners, N A Sebastian and Sunil Kumar, the Central government published a gazette notification on November 21, 2025, notifying the Industrial Relations Code 2020, but did not frame the rules to implement the new regime or constitute the tribunals under it. On Monday, Solicitor General Mehta said the Centre issued two notifications today to remove t