Thursday, February 19, 2026 | 11:20 PM ISTहिंदी में पढें
Business Standard
Notification Icon
userprofile IconSearch

Operation Sindoor

Trump claims, again, that he stopped India-Pak war with 200% tariff threat

India has repeatedly stated that the ceasefire following the 2025 military escalation was reached bilaterally, without any third-party intervention

Trump claims, again, that he stopped India-Pak war with 200% tariff threat
Updated On : 19 Feb 2026 | 10:27 PM IST

India-Pak war could have been nuclear: Trump reiterates claim of ending war

US President Donald Trump repeated the claim that he stopped the war between India and Pakistan last year, which he said could have turned nuclear, through tariffs. "I settled eight wars. Of the eight wars, at least six were settled because of tariffs. In other words, I said, 'if you don't settle this war, I'm going to charge you tariffs, because I don't want to see people getting killed," Trump said in an interview to Fox Business Tuesday. "And they said, 'Well, what does this have to do?' I said, 'you're going to be charged'. Like India and Pakistan. It would have been a nuclear war, in my opinion. They were really going at it, 10 planes were shot down. They were going at it," Trump said. He added that the Prime Minister of Pakistan said, 'President Trump saved at least 10 million lives when he got us to stop fighting'. Because they were going to go nuclear, (in) my opinion. Without tariffs, that wouldn't happen," Trump said. Trump has claimed credit for stopping the India-Pakist

India-Pak war could have been nuclear: Trump reiterates claim of ending war
Updated On : 11 Feb 2026 | 9:50 AM IST

A precarious peace due to a new arms race in South Asia

Post-Operation Sindoor, India and Pakistan are locked in a technology-driven arms race

A precarious peace due to a new arms race in South Asia
Updated On : 10 Feb 2026 | 2:00 AM IST
Blueprint

Congress takes dig at PM after Trump repeats claim of ending India-Pak war

The Congress on Friday took a swipe at Prime Minister Narendra Modi after US President Donald Trump repeated his claim that he stopped the conflict between India and Pakistan last year, saying the PM's "good friend in Washington DC" is fast moving to the century mark of stating that he had intervened to halt Operation Sindoor and yet he maintains "complete silence". The opposition party also lashed out at Modi over his address in the Rajya Sabha on Thursday when he replied to the discussion on the motion of thanks to the President's address, saying he is a prisoner of his own pet hates and answered none of the serious questions raised by the Leader of Opposition Mallikarjun Kharge in the Upper House. Congress general secretary in-charge communications Jairam Ramesh said, "The PM revealed yet again last evening in the Rajya Sabha what a huge bundle of insecurities, what a perennial peddler of lies, what a storehouse of prejudices, and what a source of sheer bile and poison he is. One

Congress takes dig at PM after Trump repeats claim of ending India-Pak war
Updated On : 06 Feb 2026 | 10:34 AM IST

Defence spending rises in Union Budget, but capability gains remain key

Operation Sindoor shapes FY27 defence Budget as India lifts spending to 2% of GDP, boosts capital outlay and modernisation to prepare for a potential two-front conflict

Defence spending rises in Union Budget, but capability gains remain key
Updated On : 04 Feb 2026 | 10:38 PM IST

Budget 2026: Defence spending nears 2% of GDP, reversing decline

Defence's share of GDP declined from 2.25 per cent in FY20 to 1.91 per cent in FY25, a level that was maintained in FY26 as well

Budget 2026: Defence spending nears 2% of GDP, reversing decline
Updated On : 01 Feb 2026 | 10:12 PM IST

In modern war, stopping at the right moment matters as much as striking

The key to fighting a war successfully, or even launching it, is a clear objective. That's an entirely political call. It isn't emotional or purely military

In modern war, stopping at the right moment matters as much as striking
Updated On : 31 Jan 2026 | 9:30 AM IST

World saw courage of Indian armed forces through 'Op Sindoor': Prez Murmu

President Droupadi Murmu on Wednesday said the world saw the valour of Indian armed forces through Operation Sindoor when they destroyed terror camps on the strength of their own resources and asserted that any terror act will be responded with decisive action. "India has proved that power can be used with responsibility and wisdom. The world has seen the valour and courage of Indian armed forces through Operation Sindoor," Murmu said in her address to both Houses of Parliament, marking the beginning of the Budget Session. "Our nation, on the strength of our own resources, destroyed terror camps. My government sent a message that any act of terror will be responded to with resolute and decisive action," the President said, amid thumping of desks by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and other parliamentarians. Murmu said the suspension of the Indus Water Treaty was part of India's fight against terror. "We are also working on Mission Sudarshan Chakra to further strengthen national ...

World saw courage of Indian armed forces through 'Op Sindoor': Prez Murmu
Updated On : 28 Jan 2026 | 12:51 PM IST

Drones, hypersonic missile, long-range strike in Republic Day spotlight

'Battle array' format was showcased for the first time during the 77th Republic day parade, illustrating how personnel and equipment are deployed together during an actual conflict

Drones, hypersonic missile, long-range strike in Republic Day spotlight
Updated On : 26 Jan 2026 | 6:49 PM IST

Air defence losses pushed Pak for ceasefire during Op Sindoor: Think tank

According to an assessment by the Swiss think tank, India's response was deliberately structured as a limited, but high-intensity air campaign designed to impose military costs

Air defence losses pushed Pak for ceasefire during Op Sindoor: Think tank
Updated On : 26 Jan 2026 | 4:32 PM IST
Blueprint

India shows 'Op Sindoor' valour, cultural hues at 77th R-Day celebrations

India ushered in its 77th Republic Day on Monday with a grand display of its cultural diversity, economic growth, and military prowess that included missiles, warplanes, newly-raised units and lethal weapon systems used during Operation Sindoor. President of the European Council, Antonio Costa, and President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, graced the celebrations as chief guests, marking a significant diplomatic moment alongside the military display. Although the overarching theme of the event was 150 years of 'Vande Mataram', the Indian military's Operation Sindoor too found prominence at the parade on the Kartavya Path, the centrepiece boulevard of the national capital. The parade commenced with the President Droupadi Murmu taking the salute shortly after she, Costa and von der Leyen, flanked by the Indian president's bodyguards, arrived at the Kartavya Path in a traditional buggy. Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, several other Union

India shows 'Op Sindoor' valour, cultural hues at 77th R-Day celebrations
Updated On : 26 Jan 2026 | 12:52 PM IST

India a messenger of peace in conflict-ridden world: President Murmu

Our Constitution is foundational document of the largest republic in world history: President Droupadi Murmu in her address to nation

India a messenger of peace in conflict-ridden world: President Murmu
Updated On : 25 Jan 2026 | 8:14 PM IST

Never violated party line, unapologetic over Op Sindoor stance: Tharoor

Congress MP Shashi Tharoor on Saturday said he has never violated the party's stated positions in Parliament, asserting that his only public disagreement in principle was over Operation Sindhoor. Answering questions during a session at the Kerala Literature Festival here, Tharoor said he had taken a strong stand on that issue and remained "unapologetic". His statement comes amidst recent reports stating "Tharoor's differences with the party leadership", with a speculation that he is upset over Congress leader Rahul Gandhi not adequately acknowledging his presence at a recent event in Kochi and over alleged repeated attempts by state leaders to sideline him. Explaining his position, Tharoor said that, as an observer and writer, he had written a newspaper column after the Pahalgam incident, stating that it should not go unpunished and that there should be a kinetic response. He said that while India is focused on development, it should not be dragged into a prolonged conflict with ..

Never violated party line, unapologetic over Op Sindoor stance: Tharoor
Updated On : 24 Jan 2026 | 3:03 PM IST

Rafale, S-400, BrahMos to feature in Operation Sindoor Republic Day tableau

A Su-30 MKI launching a BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, the Army's M777 ultra-light howitzers delivering calibrated firepower to neutralise hostile intent and the Navy's maritime dominance, denying the adversary any operational freedom, have been symbolically showcased in an Operation Sindoor-themed tableau for the Republic Day by the Indian military. The tri-service tableau, which will roll down the Kartavya Path on January 26, stands as "India's strongest affirmation that the age of decisive, joint and self-reliant military power has arrived," officials said on Friday. The float by the Department of Military Affairs carries the theme 'Operation Sindoor: Victory Through Jointness' and celebrates India's victory in the operation conducted last year and the jointness the three wings of the armed forces displayed during the decisive action, they said. The tableau would be a compelling and authoritative representation of the nation's "evolved military doctrine", marking a decisive .

Rafale, S-400, BrahMos to feature in Operation Sindoor Republic Day tableau
Updated On : 23 Jan 2026 | 8:48 PM IST

Remarks against Col Sofiya Qureshi: SC to hear plea of Vijay Shah on Jan 19

The Supreme Court is likely to hear on January 19 a plea of Madhya Pradesh minister Kunwar Vijay Shah against a high court order directing registration of an FIR against him for using "language of the gutters" against Indian Army officer Col Sofiya Qureshi. A bench of Chief Justice Surya Kant and Justices Dipankar Datta and Joymalya Bagchi is likely to hear the plea of the minister, who has expressed regret over his remarks. On July 28, 2025, the top court had pulled up Shah for not placing a public apology over his remarks on record against Col Qureshi, saying he was "testing the court's patience". It had pointed out that the minister's conduct was prompting it to doubt his intentions and bonafide. Senior advocate K Parmeshwar, appearing for Shah, had argued that the minister has issued a public apology, which was shared online, and would be placed on court's record. "What is an online apology? We are starting to have doubts about his intentions and bonafide. You place the apolog

Remarks against Col Sofiya Qureshi: SC to hear plea of Vijay Shah on Jan 19
Updated On : 18 Jan 2026 | 12:17 PM IST

Republic Day 2026: Bhairav commandos, indigenous weapons to headline parade

For the first time, select armed forces contingents will appear in 'battle array' formations, showcasing how equipment and manpower are integrated in combat

Republic Day 2026: Bhairav commandos, indigenous weapons to headline parade
Updated On : 16 Jan 2026 | 6:59 PM IST

Bhairav Battalion steals the show at 78th Army Day parade in Jaipur

Chief of Army Staff General Upendra Dwivedi said that the next two years will focus on 'networking and data-centric operations' to build a future-ready force

Bhairav Battalion steals the show at 78th Army Day parade in Jaipur
Updated On : 15 Jan 2026 | 6:07 PM IST

Op Sindoor ongoing, any misadventure will be dealt effectively: Army chief

Operation Sindoor remains ongoing and any misadventure by the adversary will be dealt with effectively, Army Chief Gen Upendra Dwivedi said on Tuesday, sending a firm message to Pakistan. The Army chief, addressing a press conference, said the situation along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China has been stable, but it needs constant vigil. Extensively elaborating on various aspects of Operation Sindoor, Gen Dwivedi said it helped in resetting the strategic assumptions as the Indian military struck deep to dismantle terror infrastructure and puncturing Islamabad's "longstanding nuclear rhetoric". "As you may be aware, Operation Sindoor remains ongoing, and a future misadventure will be resolutely responded to," he said. Gen Dwivedi said the operation was India's calibrated and resolute response to cross-border terrorism, demonstrating readiness, precision, and strategic clarity. He also said that the Indian Army had mobilised its troops and was ready for ground offensives.

Op Sindoor ongoing, any misadventure will be dealt effectively: Army chief
Updated On : 13 Jan 2026 | 1:16 PM IST

Pak's constitutional amendments acceptance of its Op Sindoor failure: CDS

Operation Sindoor forced Pakistan to carry out constitutional amendments, which is an acknowledgement that everything did not go well for the neighbouring nation, Chief of Defence Staff General Anil Chauhan said on Friday. Talking about the progress of the proposed joint theatre commands in India, Chauhan said the Union government has granted an extension for completing the exercise till May 30, 2026, but the armed forces are working to put the structure in place well before the deadline. Calling it one of his key responsibilities, General Chauhan said the process is now in its final stages. Addressing the Pune Public Policy Festival, the CDS said Operation Sindoor is only on pause. "The changes which have been brought about in Pakistan, including the constitutional amendment done hurriedly, are actually an acknowledgement of the fact that everything didn't go well for them in this operation. They found a lot of shortcomings and deficiencies," said Gem Chauhan. This entire ...

Pak's constitutional amendments acceptance of its Op Sindoor failure: CDS
Updated On : 10 Jan 2026 | 12:31 PM IST

Air power emerged as key responder, deterrent during Op Sindoor: IAF chief

Air Chief Marshal A P Singh on Friday said the decisive role of air power as the primary responder and deterrent has clearly emerged in the successful conduct of Operation Sindoor. The IAF chief said that though the operation was short, it was intense and it demonstrated the synchronisation between military and political leadership. The decisive role of air power as the primary responder and deterrent has clearly emerged, he said, an official statement quoting him said. The air chief marshal was delivering the keynote address for the first Air Commodore Mehar Singh memorial talk at the Air Force Station, Chandigarh, on Friday. Looking ahead, he stressed the importance of indigenisation, R&D, jointness and synergy to strengthen future capabilities. The event was organised to reflect on the enduring legacy of Air Commodore Mehar Singh. Anchit Gupta, an Indian historian specialising in the history of the Indian Air Force, covered Air Commodore Mehar Singh's achievements and ...

Air power emerged as key responder, deterrent during Op Sindoor: IAF chief
Updated On : 10 Jan 2026 | 9:04 AM IST